Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen alot of related threads, but not quite my combination of problems... hoping for some more hints before I start throwing money at this thing.

2008 V6 (new to me) that hat been running great until recently. From a dead start, usually when the car is warm/hot, we will get a hunting/surging (feels like between 1st and 2nd gear). Shifts fine through all the other gears and no hesitation when its cold. And not every time, just occasionally. I just changed the transmission filter and oil and I wondered if it was related... but then today I threw the P0089 fuel regulator code. Fuel issues would certainly describe the symptoms, too I think. It's the hesitation that I'm not seeing other places.

Clearly, the pumps are working (it starts ok, goes down the highway fine, only hunts on initial take-off) so here are my questions...

1. Fuel Filter? And I'm guessing the one in the passenger side (the main fuel pump, etc.). Cheapest try?

2. Sending unit? It's not WAY more expensive than the filter alone. The sending unit comes with a filter, of course, but I don't know why I should spend the extra money. What, exactly, does the sending unit do if it's not actually the pump? Should I replace both sides and are they they identical part?

2a. Is the fuel regulator on the sending unit? I'm having a hard time finding that (though most of you seem to think it's not a high failure part).

3. Should I just go ahead and replace the whole 9 yards. (sending units, pumps, and etc.)

4. Lots of the "buy your part here" links are dead. Any good aftermarket sites, parts, etc.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Two things did you do the trans service or pay someone? Number 2 vag com log handy from when you scanned it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the transmission myself. Feel pretty good about fluid level (car was level, etc.) but I confess that without a dipstick, that makes me nervous. The engine was idling for 45 minutes -- never felt hot, but no, I wasn't monitoring the temperature officially. It did seem to take the right quantity (except for the 1/4 quart that dribbled down my arm!).

Took it to the stealer today -- what a joke. $100 to tell me what I already suspected ("We don't know, but we'd start w/ the HPFP and see if that does anything..."). $300.00 was their estimate, but I told them I thought I could do it. They told me (contrary to the Deutsche Auto Parts website) that there is no extended warrantee on the cam follower problem, so let's hope its not shot. I asked, "So how did you determine I should start w/ the HPFP and they said, "Heavens, I don't know that stuff" and the technician wasn't available. Guess I should get my own VAG-Com.

It only hunts and revs between 1st and 2nd gear (engine revs and lulls and revs and lulls and eventually gets up into second gear and seems better), but no tranny codes, just the 0089.

Guess I 'll just start throwing money/parts at the problem.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You didn't say how many miles it has on it, but I'd start with the fuel filter and work out from there. I'd also only use either OE or VDO part (7L6919679D).

As far as places to buy parts: BlauParts, RM European, Europa Parts, ECS Tuning, FCP Euro have all worked for me in the past. If you need OE parts, 1stVWParts is my go to dealer (internet presence for Auburn VW in Washington).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys (gals?) for the feedback. I was very suspicious of the filters, but, as it turns out, PO replaced those about 40K ago. May be worth changing them anyway.

I just made an appointment w/ a local vw mechanic to have him change the regulator, check/replace the cam follower/spring/etc. and have him do the second transmission drain and fill (to make sure the level is right).

I'd be willing to do the repairs myself, but I don't have the luxury of a spare vehicle since the Touareg is acting up, so.

·
Registered
35 Posts
yeah without a vagcom setting the trans level is almost impossible. Needs to be between 35-45c to have proper level inside the transmission. Also as far as the HPFP goes those work or they don't. The cam follower issue was never an issue on the 3.6 motors, They had a roller style tappet which doesn't fail.I would start with just have the fluid level topped and checked. The issue you are describing is very similar to incorrectly filled trans. I have seen it before. If you want to do the fuel filter for peace of mind do it. Aside from that If you had a scan it would show when the P code triggered, every HPFP failure I have seen on a 3.6 usually comes with a huge lack of power. You replace the pump and off you go.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah without a vagcom setting the trans level is almost impossible. Needs to be between 35-45c to have proper level inside the transmission. Also as far as the HPFP goes those work or they don't. The cam follower issue was never an issue on the 3.6 motors, They had a roller style tappet which doesn't fail.I would start with just have the fluid level topped and checked. The issue you are describing is very similar to incorrectly filled trans. I have seen it before. If you want to do the fuel filter for peace of mind do it. Aside from that If you had a scan it would show when the P code triggered, every HPFP failure I have seen on a 3.6 usually comes with a huge lack of power. You replace the pump and off you go.
Very good information! So do you think the trans. hesitating might have also thrown the 0089 code? Made the computer think the car was starved for fuel? I think I'll have them change the fuel sensor anyway, but I would be happy to know it was just my fluid change incompetence.

·
Registered
35 Posts
you would have to see the environmental statistics data about the fault. Could have only registered 1 time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
10 points for Gryffindor... er... PanzerPerformance!!!

Per your suggestion (and my initial instinct that it was transmission related) I pulled the fill plug at 30C and no fluid came out. I used my infrared thermometer on the pan, up in the hole, etc. and was getting between 30-35C. I pumped about 3/4 of a litre in, put the plug in and the transmission shifts like butter. I'm guessing my transmission got TOO warm the first time I changed it, so I was loosing fluid despite the fact that it wasn't full.

I still think I'll take it to the local VW/Import garage in a few days and have them do the exercise w/ a VAG-COM (if I don't get one myself), just to make sure it's at spec, but I'm thinking good shifting is a good sign. I will keep and eye on the P0089 code and if it comes back, start thinking about what I can do there.

Forums (Fora?) are wonderful things. Thanks for all the help.

pbs

·
Registered
35 Posts
10 points for Gryffindor... er... PanzerPerformance!!!

Forums (Fora?) are wonderful things. Thanks for all the help.

pbs
Anytime you need anything hit me up. (Shamless plug) Facebook.com/Panzerperformance :nerd:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well... P0089 fuel pressure code is back and has translated to multiple misfires and rough running. VERY intermittent. Wife said it was hesitating coming home from work so I changed the air filter and cleaned the MAF, took if for a spin and it ran like a top. Ran like a top for the wife the next day as she went to work, then she neared home and it started running badly and misfiring again (0300 on several pistons).

So now I start on the fuel pressure situation. I guess I'll start with the filters and the HPFP sensor (on the way).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nevermind! Found your other thread that said you replaced the pump and filter. Thanks. :)
You have to open both sides of the tank (and there are zillion tutorials on that) but only one pump, on the passenger side. Just know that the hoses from the pump run across and hook to the filter, so don't think you can change the filter, button it all back up, and then do the pump. Not that I know anything about that. Ahem. Actually, I did it three times, because I put colored twisty ties on the fuel lines so I'd make sure to get them on the right connector and remembered that I hadn't taken them off... AFTER I buttoned it up for the SECOND time. aye yi yi!

But yes -- filter and pump made the pressure codes go away and a gunked up ignition coil (cleaned up) made the misfires go away. I'm a happy person.

(and thanks for reminding me to answer! I hate it when I find the perfect thread with my precise problem, BUT NOBODY EVER ANNOUNCED THE SOLUTION!)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just know that the hoses from the pump run across and hook to the filter, so don't think you can change the filter, button it all back up, and then do the pump.
Big thanks for this tip. Knowing me I would have done exactly that!

It looks like both my pump and filter have been replaced at some point in the past few years, as the carpet is cut on each side and neither component is yellowed yet. Also the carfax noted there was a fuel system repair done a couple years back. My issue has been a very infrequent CEL (non-flashing) with some stuttering of the RPMs while in 1st and 2nd gear, so I'm guessing its the pump and I'll just leave the filter be.

Worth noting... I ran some Fuel System Cleaner through the tank a couple of days ago and my CEL and stutters actually went away. I already had the pump on order, but I'm gonna roll around for a bit and see if the issues come back. If they don't, awesome. If they do, at least I'll have a pump ready.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts