Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Lightly driven and fully serviced V8 with 93K mostly Hwy just recently developed a drive train whine possibly a bearing?? The sound intermittent but more noticeable between 25 to 45 mph sounds like a spinning rubbing noise emanating from underneath the armrest. The Treg shifts smooth and tight like always and has been good so far I am thinking possibly transfer case or driveshaft problem. If anyone has any advice or has these issues before I take it to the dealer that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Dark Lord of the Sith
1,278 Posts
Driveshaft bearing is probably going.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I really appreciate the input what is the best route to go about correcting the bearing? On my previous Rovers it was always the u joint and after about 120k the front drive shaft, so it makes sense that the drive shaft could be the culprit on the VW.

·
Dark Lord of the Sith
1,278 Posts
There are tons of threads about it on here, Use search and read through them for details, but you either buy a new driveshaft from VW, or a reman driveshaft from a couple different companies. The bearing itself is not easily removed and replaced, thus the need for a complete driveshaft replacement.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks that's cool probably a replacement is in the future, however I just put new tires on and had a proper alignment done, the guy was good he cranked on the control arms quite a lot to match what computer wanted (I am assuming that was what he was doing as I watched for awhile)so in any event after driving about 50 miles the noise is definitely decreasing to the point of it being difficult to hear anything abnormal,which puts a smile on my face but in any event a replacement in the near future is probably ineveitable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
just repaired on mine T1- Purchased it from Indianapolis rack and axle. only heard good thing with them.
Yeah thought it was no rush-- just go ahead and order- next week will be another story- took two weeks to go from small intermitting noise, to full blown issue. go under the toureg, if you can push up and wiggle your drive shaft. its gone...

These shafts r only good for 70 to 80k miles... i used simple tools, t55 tork 18mm 9/16 sockets, and 18mm box wrench and about two hours time to replace shaft. read past post... it is an easy job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts