Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day. Lately approximately 10% of the time I shift in to reverse my backup cam neglects to display on the illustrious RNS-510. The reverse lights do activate and the MDI displays an R. I've ran a scan and there is an error for the camera, but it's a calibration fault for distance. I've removed the radio and made sure all the connections are tight. Any thoughts or suggestions of more troubleshooting steps or ideas? Thanks... Ben

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
I have the same problem. Have picked up a replacement controlled to see if is an issue with the hardware. I installed the reversing camera and did the calibration, and have no errors in VCDS. Still fails to display about 30% of the time. I have found a shutdown and restart after about 5 mins corrects the problem for a short time, which makes me think it is a hardware/controller issue. I expect the new(second hand) unit will arrive this week, so I will keep you posted.

Stu...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Have the same problem and it has been developing over the last 6 months or so. In on Tuesday for service and a list of warranty claim items including this issue. We'l see what they come up with. John

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have the same problem and it has been developing over the last 6 months or so. In on Tuesday for service and a list of warranty claim items including this issue. We'l see what they come up with. John
Excellent. Keep us apprised.

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Overnight I replaced the camera controller with another in sound working order. But I still have the same problem. As this was a retrofit I thought I may have a dud controller, but that is not the problem. I also fitted the same style controller (from a Tiguan) to my wife's Jetta and it has never failed. The only difference is in the Jetta, I have mounted the controller body directly to the vehicle frame and as such it has a perfect earth (ground), where the Touareg has a plastic mounting cradle. My next move is to fit an additional earth/ground, rather than rely on the ground lead in the Kufatec wiring harness.

So far it has been a bloody expensive exercise with no joy!!!!

Stuart....

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Can anybody who has an intermittent Reversing Camera tell me which Firmware Version they are running on their RNS510's ? Mine is 3810, and I think it may have a bug in it.

Stuart..

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Dealer installing new camera (they say, but may be controller?) in a few weeks under extended warranty, so will let you know when I find out exactly what they have done and if successful. John

·
Super Moderator
9,685 Posts
I've been dealing with this situation for years. I don't know if it is firmware or not. I had an initial problem of the cam not coming on real quick when I shifted into reverse. That was the original firmware. Next ones make it faster, but then made it very intermittent. I just learned to live with it. Hopefully someone has a solution since there are no more firmware updates available for NA market.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Can anybody who has an intermittent Reversing Camera tell me which Firmware Version they are running on their RNS510's ? Mine is 3810, and I think it may have a bug in it.

Stuart..
Stuart

I am running 3810 and I also experience intermittent failure of the reverse camera. Mine is quite rare less than 5% of the time, I do not know if it is just coincidence but it most often happened in one area (Flemington outside my daughters house while reverse parking). Usually came back on later when the car was restarted.

I do not recall this occurring prior to upgrading to 3810, so you may be onto something.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Here's a crazy idea, turn around and look!
Not very constructive but a great idea.

Perhaps a horse would suit you even better.
excellent off-road traction, four corner constant drive, adaptive cruise control, 1.5m wadding depth without need for snorkel.

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Ewie,

My wife is running an RNS510 with FW 3810 an she never has any issues with her camera. The Camera is actually from a Tiguan as the Jetta didn't have them from the factory. The processor is still the same "type" as installed in the Treg..

This is the Camera from the Treg...
Address 6C: Back-up Cam. Labels: 5N0-907-441.clb
Part No SW: 7L6 907 441 B HW: 7L6 907 441 B
Component: J772__Rearview 0033
Revision: 00H13000 Serial number: PA8 J860593
Coding: 0010001
Shop #: WSC 12345 123 54321
VCID: 346D0C9B572A35B8F5D

If anybody has a different Revision for a 7L6 907 441 B I would be interested to find out...

Thanks..
Stu..

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hi I have just updated to 3810 and my camera has started doing this, is there a way to roll back the firmware as I believe its a firmware issue.

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
As am update, I have recently upgrade my firmware to 5238 and the Intermittent Camera problem is still persistent.

I have been advised to try Firmware 1200 which apparently works without problems.Which points to a firmware issue. However I don't think it is a Radio Firmware issue but an issue with the Camera Controller Firmware clashing with the RNS510. Sometime ago I fitted a reversing camera to my wife's Jetta using an RNS510 with a controller from a Tiguan (5N0 907 441) and that works perfectly without and issues running Firmware 5238.

My plan is to revert to Firmware 1200 as a trial to see if the problem persists. If it solves the issue, I think the next move would be to try an alternate camera controller in the Touareg, as Firmware 1200 does not support PPOI's which I would like to retain.

I retrofitted the RVC to assist with hitching up my caravan, and it seems pointless to persist with it in its present condition.

In my wife's MY06 Jetta which didn't come with a RVC as a factory option, I need to code the car as a Tiguan to setup the camera for calibration, then return it to a Jetta as the vehicle type for everything else. Doing it this way, the camera controller works fine without any errors from it or any other CAN Bus modules.

Time to down load some old Firmware and see what happens.

Fingers Crossed..
Stuart..

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Hi I have just updated to 3810 and my camera has started doing this, is there a way to roll back the firmware as I believe its a firmware issue.
Laggy, you will find an option in the Secret Menu (Test Mode) that allows downgrade of firmware.

Stuart..

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Has anybody tried to connect a Camera Controller for a Touareg 7P to an RNS510? Part No 7P6907441A. They have the same connectors as the 7L Controller? Being a later build they may be a better option. Seeing I have been able to get a Tiguan controller to work with an RNS510 maybe this will give us options?

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
I have just rolled my RNS510 Firmware back to Version 1200 to see if the Reversing Camera issue goes away. If it does then the next thing is to find the highest version I can go without the issue. I expect it to be 27xx

Reactions: sicspig

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Firmware 1200 ran most of the day today without and RVC failures. Unlike 3810 which was every other time. I have now reinstalled Firmware Version 2760, and will closely monitor its performance over the next few days. 1200 work fine, however the RVC sceen layout is pox and SD size is limited to 2GB.

Here's hoping that 2760 works and if it does I can live without the other features.

Stuart..

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I've got FW3810 running and had a lot of camera no goes but since replacing both car batteries the occurrences are few and random but not totally gone. This also coincided with Kessy issues which have also mainly disappeared since the new batteries. The old batteries tested OK but a bit on the sad side which makes me think it's more a voltage drop issue under certain situations. John

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
makes me think it's more a voltage drop issue under certain situations. John
Not sure if it is voltage related or simply coincidental. The reason being, is I have replaced my battery with a new one during the same period as the RVC issues and it made no difference. Also I Retrofitted an OEM RVC into my wife's Jetta using her RNS510, the same Kufatec Wiring Harness which I used in the Touareg (had to hide quite a bit of cable). In her case she is running a Camera Controller from a Tiguan (Part # 5N0 907 441 ) as well as Firmware 5238, and has never had this problem.

So I really don't think its voltage.

Stuart

1 - 20 of 92 Posts