Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! As the title suggests, I'm currently doing a little interior refresh on my 2004 Touareg V6, focusing mainly on the buttons, and I thought I'd share this with you guys on the forum.

To start, I've began restoring the plastics that go around the seat heater rolling wheel things... above the HVAC controls.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I still haven't gotten the hang of the forums so bear with me as I try my best to share. I've managed to scrape most of the paint off with a plastic trim removal tool, as to not damage the plastic trim piece below the yucky, 12 year old paint. After that, I decided to spray a little Lysol disinfectant on the paint to see if it would remove paint, and to my surprise, it did! I think that is because there is ethanol present in the spray, and that's what's dissolving the paint, but I don't know for sure. The end result, after many spray cycles and light scrubbing with paper towels, the plastic trim piece looked ready for a new coat of black paint.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
looking forward to see how it turns out!

Stuart..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update!

More Progress today!

I've given the plastic pieces (both of the surrounds for the seat heating controls) one coat of Ace Hardware Satin Black spray paint, and that seemed to be enough to make the plastic look new again.

While they're not perfect, they are a massive improvement over the original paint.

ALSO, the hazard light button was looking very worn as well, I was able to take off the paint with a light scratch of my fingernails, so I took it out to give it the Lysol treatment. I was considering painting the button, but after seeing it without the paint I decided against it because the red button looks pretty good without paint.

Before

After, much better.

That's it for now! Thanks for the interest in this thread guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts