Club Touareg Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1194 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Lol because 2500 lbs is barely a piss in the lake for the touareg you won't even feel that back there much less feel the change in transmission strategy

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well it might not be a lot in terms of what the Touareg is rated for, but you'd have to be quite a dolt to not feel it back there. Truth be told, I don't think the Touareg would be my first pick for towing anything over 5000 lbs.

I towed in 'D'

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Why do you feel that way? I love how my touareg pulls my 5k lb boat. I wouldn't want to pull it with anything else, and I've owned all kinds of big trucks

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yeah I have a Polaris Electric UTV that weighs in at 1700lbs plus my trailer is a HD dual axle 14 footer coming in around 1400lbs. Pulls this like it’s nothing even in hill country. BUT the key is tongue weight. With a much lighter payload than a HD truck you have to watch your weight balance on the trailer. As long as you stay 10-15% of total trailer weight on hitch while keeping everything within the payload and tow ratings the vehicle pulls extremely well. There is no other midsize SUV on the market that can touch the Touareg period. Additionally, it’s right in the wheelhouse of many large size suvs towing capacity. Great vehicle for what is is. Now when I get up around 7k I switch over to my GMC 2500 Duramax. Then the sky’s the limit. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2014 Touareg TDI
23 Posts
Yes my'14 TDI got the dieselgate fix in Feb and it really did a number on the drive-ability of the car. As has been discussed here just a smooth acceleration from a stop light is no longer feasible you press on the accelerator nothing much happens (it feels like the turbo gate is stuck open) and all of a sudden the transmission shifts and warp drive arrives wanted or not! I am hoping Joe gets healthy and when he does that he still wants to correct this big mess VW made... One interesting thing thou, when I put the towing trailer plug (and dont hook up my boat trailer) that I bought to fool the car into thinking it has a trailer with incandescent lights the car drives better but it still isn't the pre fix car...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
One interesting thing thou, when I put the towing trailer plug (and dont hook up my boat trailer) that I bought to fool the car into thinking it has a trailer with incandescent lights the car drives better but it still isn't the pre fix car...
Wow that is INGENIOUS.. you basically tricked the car into using its tow-mode mapping without the trailer attached. Thats actually pretty damn smart lmao

·
Registered
63 Posts
If there is no electrical connection on the trailer side of the plug I find it dubious that the car would somehow 'know' that a trailer is attached.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
He just said he inserts the 7-pin connector...

·
Registered
2014 Touareg TDI
23 Posts
Lots of info here on this site on the engineering of the factory trailer connector, but one of the "features" is it runs a small amount of current through each lamp circuit to sense for open circuits ie bad bulbs... it also knows that a trailer is connected if it can sense the trailer electrical loads. Apparently trailers with LED bulbs do not draw enough current for the computer to know a trailer is connected so the trailer lamp circuits are not active. Following advice I received from this site I bought this adapter from etrailer.com, works great and fools the computer into thinking its got something hooked up. So if you have a factory towing setup you can change the transmission mapping for 12 bucks. Its still isnt as good as pre fix but it is better.
7-Way to 5-Way/4-Way Trailer Adapter for Vehicles with Lamp-Out Sensors Towing Trailers with LEDs
Item # TR20141

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yrktreg's prolonged disappearance is beginning to become worrisome, does anyone here know of his current status?
My attempts to resolve a post emission fix Q5's TCM issues have only met with partial success. Despite successfully reprogramming my TCM's post warm up shifting behaviour to dramatically lower the shift points, warm up shifting behaviour along with engine braking remain recalcitrant in the face of my efforts and a complete mystery; yrktreg was the only person to successfully revert the TCM and ECU via flashing the pre-fix legacy binaries in their entirety.
Notwithstanding Malone's stage 2 tune's introduction of explosive torque above 1800 rpm, the low end linear surge from 1200rpm upwards remains elusive and becomes obscenely evident with the new shifting behaviour along with pronounced and noticeable turbo lag.
Hope all is well, my Q5 TDI used to be a finely tuned, reasonably responsive and predictably consistently powerful machine prior to this emissons mess.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you sparcplug. I did a ton of research and found yrktreg as the only one able to fix the transmission issue. Seeing how he was previously very active on the site I went ahead and purchased a 2014 TDI. He has since been inactive for about 5 months on the forum. I hope all is well with him but I'm bummed I so closely missed my opportunity for a fix. I hope he returns or someone else comes out with a fix, although I doubt that will happen.

Currently i'm running on the latest fix from VW "23AK". The transmission shifts ok to me except for 3rd gear holding when cold, but I still have very poor tip-in throttle response. Are you running Malone stage 2 and did you notice an improvement from stock on tip in responsiveness? Judging by your post I think not?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah after altering the non warmup transmission shifting behaviour to suit my needs, i.e. very low rpm in all gears when driving normally, the absent low end torque previously in abundance prior to the "emissions fix" and throttle delay irritated me to such an extent I installed a Malone stage 2 in the hope of a restoration.

While the Malone stage 2 resulted in dramatic torque improvements from 1800rpm onwards, rpm's below remain relatively lack lustre.

The alterations have resulted in substantial fuel economy improvements, especially in the city, however the pre-emssions driving characteristics certainly remain elusive. Restoration of engine braking, low end torque and the removal of the high rpm warm up shifting behaviour are key to approaching a satisfactory state.

When winter approaches I fully expect an extended high rpm warm up cycle to dramatically adversely affect fuel economy and driveability.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm running Malone stage 2 (without deletes) and the 'unfixed' TCU tune from Joe. I don't really think that either of those two things improved tip-in throttle response. It's sloggy no matter what.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does the 'unfixed" TCU tune from Joe address the majority of the concerns I've listed? Engine braking restoration and the elimination of the high rpm warm up cycle or are those characteristics dependent on both the pre-fix ECU and TCU tunes?

·
Registered
63 Posts
The unfixed TCU seemed different primarily in gears 1-4. It upshifted earlier (quite a bit) and locked up the torque converter sooner. I can't claim a noticeable difference in engine braking. Even when downshifted manually it doesn't feel like it does a whole lot in terms of compression braking.

It seemed to me that once warm the fixed TCU was not a problem, but definitely annoying when cold.

All in all, not a huge difference. Still get those moments where you're cruising along at 15-25, round a corner and then try to accelerate and nothing...fricking...happens. Much worse at altitude or in heat. Even with Malone. I wish I had driven one of these pre-fix to see how good it was.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I live on a pretty steep grade hill that I descend every morning going to work. I can without a doubt tell you that Joes tune enabled much more engine braking in mine. I only have to lightly use the breaks going down as compared to before where it felt like it was pretty much coasting down and I had to apply heavy brake to slow it down.
I also feel joes tune changed my shift patterns. Shifts much earlier in D, of course when cold, but I even notice a difference when warmed up. It does a pretty good job staying in the torque curve.
I have also had some instances with tip in while rolling. I wonder if one of those electronic throttle response attenuators would help that. I have also found if I stay lightly on the throttle through turns instead of letting off I get a much better response when accelerating. So to me that seems like a simple throttle position sensor issues. It does not quite recognize a throttle tip in certain scenarios. Maybe someone who has used one of the electronic throttle attenuators can speak about improvement or not of the tip in response.
To me the improvement on the transmission with joes tune is 80%. I am much happier. And I have a stock ECU. I never drove a prefixed T3. Rode in one many years ago. The only thing I can compare it to is my 09 that was tuned and deleted. To me my 16 drives better. Seems to stay in the power band better. It’s not quite as explosive as my 09 was but that’s expected. It’s not been gutted.
Sounds like Matthew and I have had different experiences. Could just be a personal view or desire or past vehicle comparisons... or who knows. Maybe our vehicles are responding differently. All motors will have their own nuances.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
It sounds like many of you would benefit from uploading the cayenne shift strategy in vagcom. My touareg is always in the right gear at the right time and 99% of the time the throttle responds exactly as I'd like it. I have post fix tcu but Malone stage II with dpf and cat still in tact

Aside from cayenne strategy you guys should do a transmission reset and relearn. Literally zero complaints about my wonderful aisin or pedal response.

Also keep in mind that drive by wire is always going to be a little more delayed than a cable throttle. Pedal commander should be able to bring pedal responsiveness in line with a cable though

1161 - 1180 of 1194 Posts