Club Touareg Forum banner

961 - 975 of 975 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
The TCM fixes 20 to 25% of the problem. The MPG's are still 10% down, torque is waaaay down too, at any throttle setting. The other real fix is the ECM. That makes the car run the way it should down the freeway or interstate, the way it was when you bought it. TCM is but a small part of it, it needs both fixed.

Volkswagen wrecked the drivability of the car, it's no longer a SPORT SUV, it's a utility grade of SUV.
So just to clarify, have you modified your ECM with non VW software?

In this post from different thread, it appears you may have. Yet you condemn others for certain modifications.

From experience.... I'd get them both done at same time. ECM is 80% of the fix, TCM maybe 20 to 25% of fix. If money is tight, get the ECM flash first, and shift manually. The ECM makes the car drive the way the Germans engineered it, in the first place. Which is to say, it would reinstate the all the torque lost at lower throttle settings, which makes for a piss poor driving experience from a TDI.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,

I got yrktreg's fix in June this year. I appreciate the work Joe has been done to try to restore the TCM software; dont get me wrong but I truly believe that it is room for improvement. I have A 2013 Touareg.
I am not sure that it is an original restore since it shows another version. It seems to be a kind of tuned VW fix software.
Joe (yrktreg) never answered my emails when I asked for more information.
I asked him also if he has the original TCM software, no answer yet, I know he is busy. I will wait.
I would really love to have the original software, I will deal with warranty here in Toronto myself.
Here is the situation after I drove the car with yktreg fix for two months:

- shifting 1-2-3 should be fast and at low rpm maybe around 1500 rpm like in manual mode - is not happening, shifts at 1800 rpm and slow, gasser kind of shifting. NOTE: If this could be fixed, the car would feel and be fast. The 3.0 TDI produces 400 Nm (295.02 lb-ft) of torque between 1,250 and 3,500 rpm so there is no problem shifting at low rpm.
- there is no 2'nd gear engine brake, like the VW fix version.
- 3'rd shifts two times,
- if you get to 4'th then all seems ok, like the vw fix.
- sometimes is jerking in 1-2 or 2-3 shifts

General impression is that overall seems better than having shifting at 2500 while cold (that is the only benefit, I feel), but if he can address the issues I am talking about, that would be great.
I would like to know what you experienced.

All the best,
Stefan

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've read through this entire thread and I have a few questions due to the fact that I've only had my Q7 for a little over a month. I can't compare pre/post fix.

First thing is, VW/Audi changed the TCM with the fix for a reason. Why? Is it just a matter of trying to make the most out of the engine changes? Kind of like, this is the power the engine now puts out we need to match the transmission to that?

If my first question/assumption is the reason, wouldn't it be bad to change the TCM without un-doing the emissions fix?

Any finally, I see a lot of people talking about it shifting like a "gasser" and that being bad. What is bad about that? I've never had a diesel vehicle. And why would one desire engine braking?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you for taking the time to read through them.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Very simplified answers for you.......

First thing is, VW/Audi changed the TCM with the fix for a reason. Why?
They modified the shifting behavior to help warm the engine up faster and to reduce emissions.

Any finally, I see a lot of people talking about it shifting like a "gasser" and that being bad. What is bad about that? I've never had a diesel vehicle. And why would one desire engine braking?
Gassers have different power bands..... they typically make power later in the band, up at higher revs.... you need to wind them out to get the most out of them......

Diesels are somewhat opposite.... they have grunt down low... then love to "tug".....

One desires engine braking mainly when towing..... it's easy to kill expensive brake parts (read Touareg brakes) when you're driving something this heavy and pulling something else on top of it. It's also a lot easier to drive in traffic smoothly, or maintain speed while descending hills if you're a decent driver by only modulating the go pedal instead of constantly hammering the brakes

·
Registered
11 Posts
TurboABA, thank you for the extensive reply. I'm not sure if you can answer this. For the Q7, does the flash make the car "sportier" to drive? I guess the Q7 and Touareg probably drive a little differently, so someone else may need to answer.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
If you are asking about the flash being offered in this thread, I don't have any experience with it. If you read all the posts, you should be able to get quite a bit of opinions from those who have it.

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I'd like to get your TCM update and live in southern CT, so I could stop by sometime if that makes things easier as my unit could be updated in the car (I hope/presume). I do not have enough posts yet for a PM, so could you please let me know your schedule and how best to contact you. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Last communication I had with him via email was July 12th, I was one of the next inline for the TCU exchange. Sent several emails since, no reply :( And he has not been active on the forums for several weeks either from what I can tell.

961 - 975 of 975 Posts
About this Discussion
974 Replies
194 Participants
chadbaughman
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing