Club Touareg Forum banner

941 - 960 of 975 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Joe. I'm glad you didn't forget about my issue, thank you for that. Once Eskimo1 confirms everything is alright I'll text you. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
yrktreg, I've gone through the entire thread and I appreciate your work. I've just picked up a "fixed" Q7 and I would like to get on the list. Thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had my 2016 "fixed" last Monday and am one unhappy Treg owner. I know I'm late to party, but I would love to get on the waiting list as well. yrktreg what you're doing here is absolutely amazing and sincerely appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The term you used in post 928 sums up my complaint in a word - "neutered". I had know idea how significantly the fix would impact the transmission and how that alone impacts the drivability. My bad for not doing more research in advance.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The term you used in post 928 sums up my complaint in a word - "neutered". I had know idea how significantly the fix would impact the transmission and how that alone impacts the drivability. My bad for not doing more research in advance.
The TCM fixes 20 to 25% of the problem. The MPG's are still 10% down, torque is waaaay down too, at any throttle setting. The other real fix is the ECM. That makes the car run the way it should down the freeway or interstate, the way it was when you bought it. TCM is but a small part of it, it needs both fixed.

Volkswagen wrecked the drivability of the car, it's no longer a SPORT SUV, it's a utility grade of SUV.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks...as an FYI, it was after I installed a Stage 2 tune that I realized I still had a big problem with performance and started doing additional research and stumbled across this forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I drove a stock 2013 in Utah, I could live with just back to factory stock. I don't think it's worth it with how expensive it is to repair VW TDI's, to risk jeopardizing the warranty, with a stage 2 tune. That's a TD-1 warranty void by the dealership, and you'd be screwed over big time if the HPFP glitter bombed your whole fuel injection system, including tanks and all the pumps, rails, injectors, HPFP, etc, getting contaminated. BIGNUM$ to fix. No thanks, not worth the risk to me.
There went your extended warranty. Gone.... TD-1, voided
Yes, we get it.. You're choosing to keep it stock. Fine, great. point made. Move on, please.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I drove a stock 2013 in Utah, I could live with just back to factory stock. I don't think it's worth it with how expensive it is to repair VW TDI's, to risk jeopardizing the warranty, with a stage 2 tune. That's a TD-1 warranty void by the dealership, and you'd be screwed over big time if the HPFP glitter bombed your whole fuel injection system, including tanks and all the pumps, rails, injectors, HPFP, etc, getting contaminated. BIGNUM$ to fix. No thanks, not worth the risk to me.
There went your extended warranty. Gone.... TD-1, voided
Yes, we get it.. You're choosing to keep it stock. Fine, great. point made. Move on, please.

He sounds like a REAL joy to be around not gonna lie. Every car culture has THAT guy.

·
Registered
240 Posts
He sounds like a REAL joy to be around not gonna lie. Every car culture has THAT guy.
I own stock in VW... don't want you hooligans that mod your vehicles coming back for free warranty work when you voided it.

You want to play, you gotta pay.

Liars and cheats not appreciated that play games with flashes after they do the mods and the damage. Not saying or implying that YOU would do that, but many here have, and it's just not legal, or right. The flash counter doesn't lie.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I own stock in VW... don't want you hooligans that mod your vehicles coming back for free warranty work when you voided it.

You want to play, you gotta pay.

Liars and cheats not appreciated that play games with flashes after they do the mods and the damage. Not saying or implying that YOU would do that, but many here have, and it's just not legal, or right. The flash counter doesn't lie.
Yeah we know. This clearly voids your warranty so why are you still posting in here?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got yrktreg's fix this past winter when he made a trip into Toronto to flash a few local cars.

It's my wife's vehicle and it also has the Stage 2 Malone tune...

I don't drive it much, but sometimes when I do, I notice that the shifting is jerky when the tranny is cold (like the 1st few miles after a cold start)... Has anyone noticed this?

I am not sure if this is just a characteristic of the Malone tune, combined with the 8 speed tranny? I notice it more when leaving the cottage... the roads up in Muskoka are generally chip/tar , and our access road still has a good deal of sand on it,.... The sand leads me to think that the quattro tranny is just crab walking a little?

Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I got yrktreg's fix this past winter when he made a trip into Toronto to flash a few local cars.

I don't drive it much, but sometimes when I do, I notice that the shifting is jerky when the tranny is cold (like the 1st few miles after a cold start)... Has anyone noticed this?

I am not sure if this is just a characteristic of the Malone tune, combined with the 8 speed tranny? I notice it more when leaving the cottage... the roads up in Muskoka are generally chip/tar , and our access road still has a good deal of sand on it,.... The sand leads me to think that the quattro tranny is just crab walking a little?

I have a stock ECU tune and stock TCM (neutered - post fix) and my tranny does the same thing. I was wondering if it was the valve chest. I have flushed the tranny once (about 25k ago) and might do it again to see if that helps. Also going to have my TCM flashed back to pre-fix state.

90k miles on it currently. 2014.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a stock ECU tune and stock TCM (neutered - post fix) and my tranny does the same thing. I was wondering if it was the valve chest. I have flushed the tranny once (about 25k ago) and might do it again to see if that helps. Also going to have my TCM flashed back to pre-fix state.

90k miles on it currently. 2014.
This might not cure it, but doesn't hurt to try.

fire up VCDS, try changing your transmission coding from xx1xxx, to xx3xxx. NAR Touaregs usually come with 1 on the third digit from left, some owners later change to B for Cayenne. I used to use "B", but after 65k miles, found the valve that's responsible for 4th and 6th actuates too fast until it warms up, resulting the car jumps forward for the first mile whenever it's shifting from 3 to 4 and 5 to 6.

changing that byte to 3 should make the transmission relax a little (slips more), at least in my case I haven't been able to replicate that "jump" since changing to 3. BTW "3" is the ROW coding.

·
Registered
240 Posts

You might first try a transmission reset. press start with foot OFF of the brakes, to turn ignition on, but motor not running. Press accelerator to the floor and hold it there for at least 10 seconds. Release accelerator. Turn off ignition.

Drive normally, if anything, on the gentle side, so that the transmission can relearn your shifting patterns. If that doesn't help, drain and flush your ATF fluid with 5 liters, 3 times, with 200 mile separations between drain and refill. That should get 85 to 90% of the worn ATF out of your transmission, valve body and Torque converter, and replaced with fresh ATF.

941 - 960 of 975 Posts
About this Discussion
974 Replies
194 Participants
chadbaughman
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing