Club Touareg Forum banner

921 - 940 of 975 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
@yrktreg

I, like many others, don't have enough posts and am interested in the TCM fix. I have a 2014 TDI Executive. I understand there's a decent wait for this model year. I'd love a PM from you to learn more and to be added to the wait list :)

Thank you so much for coordinating all of this for us.

Cheers!

·
Registered
240 Posts
@yrktreg

Have you had any takers for a fix on a 2016 Cayenne Diesel?

My only concern is with emissions as I still have to go through them here on a dyno in Nevada...
Unless something has changed in NV in the last year or 2, only 2WD diesels have been subject to dyno runs, the Touareg, Q7 anc Cayenne models being exempt from dyno runs, though still needing a visual inspection. Is this still true, or are there really enough AWD diesels in all of NV to require every smog tester to buy a bunch of very expensive dyno testing equipment for very, very few cars to be tested?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Unless something has changed in NV in the last year or 2, only 2WD diesels have been subject to dyno runs, the Touareg, Q7 anc Cayenne models being exempt from dyno runs, though still needing a visual inspection. Is this still true, or are there really enough AWD diesels in all of NV to require every smog tester to buy a bunch of very expensive dyno testing equipment for very, very few cars to be tested?
Things have changed. Originally they were exempt from emission testing since there weren't any 4WD dynos available for testing.

Lo and behold a 4WD dyno pops up. Exemption nullified with ONE place in all of Las Vegas. This has been going on for at least 4 years now.

Mind you the smog requirements are only applicable to Clark and Washoe counties IE Las Vegas and Reno. You live anywhere else in the state you're fine.

https://dmvnv.com/emission_diesel.htm#Light

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #924
@yrktreg

I, like many others, don't have enough posts and am interested in the TCM fix. I have a 2014 TDI Executive. I understand there's a decent wait for this model year. I'd love a PM from you to learn more and to be added to the wait list :)

Thank you so much for coordinating all of this for us.

Cheers!
A post here with interest equals your name on the wait list :wink2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was fortunate enough to be in the area and was able to do a face to face TCM fix on my Treg-in-a-tux.

Yrktreg knows his stuff and is a great guy - My GF and I were heading to a wedding so she was all done up, and he let her sit in the A/C while he did his work!

Great to meet you sir! Things are back to pre-fix... *breathing a sigh of relief*

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was fortunate enough to be in the area and was able to do a face to face TCM fix on my Treg-in-a-tux.

Yrktreg knows his stuff and is a great guy - My GF and I were heading to a wedding so she was all done up, and he let her sit in the A/C while he did his work!

Great to meet you sir! Things are back to pre-fix... *breathing a sigh of relief*
The TCM is a 20 to 25% minor step in getting your Touareg back to pre-fix. Anyone that actually owned a Touareg prefix and drove it off the dealership lot before it got turned back in knows how they are supposed to actually run. The TCM isn't more than 25% of the fix... VW screwed the pooch and VW owners trying to make CARB and EPA the diesel haters happy.

If you know someone that didn't take the money from VW and kept their Touareg TDI box stock, ask if you can drive their Touareg. It will be an eye opener, especially if it's a 2011 or 2012 and you drive it in city traffic, or on a country road and need to pass a long truck. Only then will you know how it's supposed to drive. VW neutered their TDI's, they drive ball-less now. No torque at all, compared to previously. I owned a 2012 that was an honest 0-60 mph 7.2 second vehicle. Step on brakes, step on throttle, hold rpms at 1600, and release brakes while adding full throttle. I've had several folks confirm driving across Montana and NV that theirs had done 130 mph, before being fixed. Trust me, their DNA is not Volkswagen, it comes from somewhere else, it's shared.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The TCM is a 20 to 25% minor step in getting your Touareg back to pre-fix. Anyone that actually owned a Touareg prefix and drove it off the dealership lot before it got turned back in knows how they are supposed to actually run. The TCM isn't more than 25% of the fix... VW screwed the pooch and VW owners trying to make CARB and EPA the diesel haters happy.

If you know someone that didn't take the money from VW and kept their Touareg TDI box stock, ask if you can drive their Touareg. It will be an eye opener, especially if it's a 2011 or 2012 and you drive it in city traffic, or on a country road and need to pass a long truck. Only then will you know how it's supposed to drive. VW neutered their TDI's, they drive ball-less now. No torque at all, compared to previously.
I mean I've only driven the 2012 I have now but the thing seems just fine to me. I guess I need to save up get the TCM and get a stage 2 tune I guess haha

·
Registered
240 Posts
I mean I've only driven the 2012 I have now but the thing seems just fine to me. I guess I need to save up get the TCM and get a stage 2 tune I guess haha
I drove a stock 2013 in Utah, I could live with just back to factory stock. I don't think it's worth it with how expensive it is to repair VW TDI's, to risk jeopardizing the warranty, with a stage 2 tune. That's a TD-1 warranty void by the dealership, and you'd be screwed over big time if the HPFP glitter bombed your whole fuel injection system, including tanks and all the pumps, rails, injectors, HPFP, etc, getting contaminated. BIGNUM$ to fix. No thanks, not worth the risk to me.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I can agree that the driving experience has been hard hit.

However, all the epa did was to force VW to make the vehicle run as close to the emission standards that VW submitted to the epa when the car was manufactured. It was VW's choice how to get to that point. VW was the one who decided the most cost effective way to proceed was to neuter the engine performance.

Read this article. nytimes.com/2017/05/06/business/inside-vws-campaign-of-trickery

In early August, the firm issued a five-page, single-spaced analysis which stated that Volkswagen would probably not be able to avoid paying civil penalties to the government. But the opinion also noted that the largest fine to date was $100 million imposed the previous November on Hyundai-Kia, the Korean carmaker. Hyundai-Kia had admitted overstating the fuel economy of 1.1 million cars and light trucks.

But there was an important distinction between Volkswagen’s behavior and that of other companies caught cheating. In the past, carmakers had almost always acquiesced immediately when confronted with evidence of emissions violations and cooperated with regulators.

Volkswagen had taken a far different approach. By August 2015, the company had spent more than a year procrastinating, providing regulators with false, misleading or incomplete information.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #932
Just joined after reading a handful of this thread. @yrktreg can you PM me your contact info? I recently purchased a 2013 Q7 and I'd like to 'un-fix' a second TCU. Thanks in advance!
The Q7's TCM are super hard to find, I can look for one for you.

I would also suggest you search on Ebay for 0C8927750AQ which is the part number that you need. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #933

Very nice meeting you as well Eskimo :wink2:

I try to treat others the way I would like to be treated. I figured A/C and cooled seats would keep her nice and comfortable.

I'm glad that you are happy, now to get your gorgeous Cayenne breather better...

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #934

If you know someone that didn't take the money from VW and kept their Touareg TDI box stock, ask if you can drive their Touareg. It will be an eye opener, especially if it's a 2011 or 2012 and you drive it in city traffic, or on a country road and need to pass a long truck. Only then will you know how it's supposed to drive. VW neutered their TDI's, they drive ball-less now. No torque at all, compared to previously. I owned a 2012 that was an honest 0-60 mph 7.2 second vehicle. Step on brakes, step on throttle, hold rpms at 1600, and release brakes while adding full throttle. I've had several folks confirm driving across Montana and NV that theirs had done 130 mph, before being fixed. Trust me, their DNA is not Volkswagen, it comes from somewhere else, it's shared.
Agreed, but he has a nice Malone tune on his Cayenne, so he is good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #935
I'll add you to the list sir.

IMHO the 11-12's will notice a difference the most, as they were the least neutered of the 8 speeds from the factory.

13's would be next, then the 14's. And lastly the 15-16's.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #936
I drove a stock 2013 in Utah, I could live with just back to factory stock. I don't think it's worth it with how expensive it is to repair VW TDI's, to risk jeopardizing the warranty, with a stage 2 tune. That's a TD-1 warranty void by the dealership, and you'd be screwed over big time if the HPFP glitter bombed your whole fuel injection system, including tanks and all the pumps, rails, injectors, HPFP, etc, getting contaminated. BIGNUM$ to fix. No thanks, not worth the risk to me.
The HPFP only seem to be having issues post fix for whatever reason.

I'm one of the rare people that is getting rid of all of the problematic stuff and going big turbo.:grin2:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll add you to the list sir.

IMHO the 11-12's will notice a difference the most, as they were the least neutered of the 8 speeds from the factory.

13's would be next, then the 14's. And lastly the 15-16's.
I have so many questions that i'm sure you get all the time but I need to build up some posts. I haven't been on a car forum in a LONG time, i'm coming from modified Honda's where I just ask all my tuner friends or my brain from 15+ years of knowledge haha

·
Registered
23 Posts

Does your CD now accurately reflect gear selection on an indicator on a dashboard in a manual mode? 1 through 8? Mine does not.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #939
I have so many questions that i'm sure you get all the time but I need to build up some posts. I haven't been on a car forum in a LONG time, i'm coming from modified Honda's where I just ask all my tuner friends or my brain from 15+ years of knowledge haha
LOL I'll shoot you a pm

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #940
Does your CD now accurately reflect gear selection on an indicator on a dashboard in a manual mode? 1 through 8? Mine does not.
Waiting for him to confirm, but he is on a later revision than you to fix that error.

I tagged you a couple of days back about this :wink2:

921 - 940 of 975 Posts
About this Discussion
974 Replies
194 Participants
chadbaughman
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing