Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK look like for some reason posts are not being updated in the original thread aka I broke the internet :grin2:

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f93/interested-transmission-flash-fix-people-please-step-inside-280754.html

Let us continue here...

If you posted interest in the original thread I have your name on the waiting list for your respective loaner exchange model.

I will post up the official VW instructions on the TCM removal here.

I will say that the easiest way is to remove all 4 of the 10mm triple square bolts, the next easiest is the remove the bolt that holds the TCM mounting bracket in place.
The TCM is mounted upside down and is clipped into the bracket using 2 mounting tabs on either side of it.

So let us continue the fixing here in this thread. You can read through all 23 pages of the other thread especially towards the end for reviews of my TCM tunes.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Interested , '14 Lux. Had a 2013 pre dieselgate and post.... Awful what VW did to shifting, and to the engine tune. I am off 10% on my MPG's, and it shifts like a crummy gasser now, and HP and torque on low end and midrange is way down, probably 20 to 25% to make CARB happy, and VW owners miserable. A restore to original shifting and factory tune pre dieselgate are on my want list. PM me, please, don't have 15 posts yet.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interested , '14 Lux. Had a 2013 pre dieselgate and post.... Awful what VW did to shifting, and to the engine tune. I am off 10% on my MPG's, and it shifts like a crummy gasser now, and HP and torque on low end and midrange is way down, probably 20 to 25% to make CARB happy, and VW owners miserable. A restore to original shifting and factory tune pre dieselgate are on my want list. PM me, please, don't have 15 posts yet.
I added you to the waiting list, and am sending a PM now...:wink2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Noob to the site and also interested. I have a '13 TDI Sport (purchased from TurgBurgler).

Please PM me at your convenience.

Thanks!
Lee

·
Registered
62 Posts
TCM removal

Remove the 4 bolts that mount seat rails to floor. Move seat toward rear of car , not forwards. Use seat back tilt to adjust how far seat will lean. Doing this way takes 15 min tops with no issues.. watch your seat cables for any stress, you might need to unplug one small cable. Oh yea, peel carpet back and remove nut holding tcm... Wish i would have done this first...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are there any tunes to fix gear shifts/low RPM rumbling @ 1200 RPMs in a '14 Sport gasser? Sometimes I'll be in 7/8th gear at 30mph going up a hill.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Are there any tunes to fix gear shifts/low RPM rumbling @ 1200 RPMs in a '14 Sport gasser? Sometimes I'll be in 7/8th gear at 30mph going up a hill.
Unless someone swapped out your TCM 1200 rpm is odd as the dickens in a gasser, for pulling a load. It should shift out of 8th by 45-42 mph, at the very latest, and 37 mph in 7th gear, regardless of RPMs, going down hill. The Touareg has XYZ sensors that affect how the TCM shifts, due to slope, you are ascending or decending.

It's possible you have other issues, it should downshift to a lower gear, going up hills without hesitation.

The absolute earliest I can get into 7th gear, accelerating on level ground, is 40 to 42 mph, and about 50 mph for 8th gear. Going up hill, it holds gears to higher rpms, much longer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Unless someone swapped out your TCM 1200 rpm is odd as the dickens in a gasser, for pulling a load. It should shift out of 8th by 45-42 mph, at the very latest, and 37 mph in 7th gear, regardless of RPMs, going down hill. The Touareg has XYZ sensors that affect how the TCM shifts, due to slope, you are ascending or decending.

It's possible you have other issues, it should downshift to a lower gear, going up hills without hesitation.

The absolute earliest I can get into 7th gear, accelerating on level ground, is 40 to 42 mph, and about 50 mph for 8th gear. Going up hill, it holds gears to higher rpms, much longer.
How about on a flat either coasting or maybe a slow decent? I'd be at around 30mph with laggy throttle response, pop it to manual and see that I'm in 8th.

I had it at VW yesterday actually to diagnose shifting issues- they didn't find anything of course. It's definitely driving better, so maybe they did a full reset in addition to the gearbox. At low load ~1200rpm now I'm in 7th @ 37mph and 6th at around 30mph. We'll see how long this lasts.

·
Registered
242 Posts
How about on a flat either coasting or maybe a slow decent? I'd be at around 30mph with laggy throttle response, pop it to manual and see that I'm in 8th.

I had it at VW yesterday actually to diagnose shifting issues- they didn't find anything of course. It's definitely driving better, so maybe they did a full reset in addition to the gearbox. At low load ~1200rpm now I'm in 7th @ 37mph and 6th at around 30mph. We'll see how long this lasts.
Use "sport" mode, or put your foot a little deeper into the accelerator, and it should shift down. VW sets them up for making Epa mileage and good MPG's. That means laggy performance. You want non laggy, performance, use "sport' mode and it will be more peppy. Your fuel mileage will suck, too. Can't have it both ways.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That does seem rather odd, hopefully your VW visit and a reset will help out long term.

You can always do the noobytoogy trans reset when you feel it is needed...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Use "sport" mode, or put your foot a little deeper into the accelerator, and it should shift down. VW sets them up for making Epa mileage and good MPG's. That means laggy performance. You want non laggy, performance, use "sport' mode and it will be more peppy. Your fuel mileage will suck, too. Can't have it both ways.
Thanks that's what I'll do. A deal with a lot of traffic on my commute so you can't always give it more gas without hitting a car...kinda stuck in between gears. Sport mode it is!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dropped my 2016 factory TCM in the mail yesterday back to yrktreg after swapping for TCM with pre-fix tune the day before. I'm quite happy with the change, definitely feels more like my 2012 did.

No change in VAGCOM coding info on my Ross Tech scan so I think highly unlikely to be detected by dealer if warranty issue comes up, but honestly I don't know what the capability of the dealer's scan is.

If you're unhappy with the way your post-fix TDI shifts, I highly recommend this. yrktreg is super easy to work with and quick to answer questions and address concerns.

Now contemplating ECU tune...though like many am not quite ready to potentially forfeit the excellent powertrain warranty in case of HPFP catastrophe or similar issue.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dropped my 2016 factory TCM in the mail yesterday back to yrktreg after swapping for TCM with pre-fix tune the day before. I'm quite happy with the change, definitely feels more like my 2012 did.

No change in VAGCOM coding info on my Ross Tech scan so I think highly unlikely to be detected by dealer if warranty issue comes up, but honestly I don't know what the capability of the dealer's scan is.

If you're unhappy with the way your post-fix TDI shifts, I highly recommend this. yrktreg is super easy to work with and quick to answer questions and address concerns.

Now contemplating ECU tune...though like many am not quite ready to potentially forfeit the excellent powertrain warranty in case of HPFP catastrophe or similar issue.
Thank you sir, it was great working with you...

I'm working on a stock ECU solution BTW

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thank you sir, it was great working with you...

I'm working on a stock ECU solution BTW
When it's time, for a May 2014 build TDI Lux, let me know, very much interested. Would need to be able to pass a CARB ECU reading check bi-annually. Match those Check Sums.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know I spoke with Joe via PM but not sure I actually got on the list. Send me another PM, I want to be on the swap list too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts