Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve tried searching for a couple days now, but absolutely cannot find the thread where someone mentions cleaning the diesel soot/carbon buildup in their intake so wanted to ask

What prompted doing this? Drivability issues or regular maintenance? (I’m having some weird throttle behavior. I can have my foot to the floor and it’ll do nearly nothing for a solid 3 seconds, but at a different time I can have the pedal at about 25% and it’ll do either nothing, or act pretty normal, then just jump like it’s going WOT on its own)

How far have people gone with this? Just the throttle pipes and throttle bodies, or have people gone passed that and pulled the manifolds and cleaned them? Is cleaning the manifold even needed / was any buildup found in the manifolds?

What was used to clean?

My plan was to pull the throttle piping and throttle body, and clean any buildup away with a brush and simple green, or carb cleaner if that doesn’t cut it. At that point I’ll try to look inside of the manifold and see if there’s any visible buildup in there.

Here’s a quick photo I got just from popping off the intake charge piping:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I’ve tried searching for a couple days now, but absolutely cannot find the thread where someone mentions cleaning the diesel soot/carbon buildup in their intake so wanted to ask

What prompted doing this? Drivability issues or regular maintenance? (I’m having some weird throttle behavior. I can have my foot to the floor and it’ll do nearly nothing for a solid 3 seconds, but at a different time I can have the pedal at about 25% and it’ll do either nothing, or act pretty normal, then just jump like it’s going WOT on its own)

How far have people gone with this? Just the throttle pipes and throttle bodies, or have people gone passed that and pulled the manifolds and cleaned them? Is cleaning the manifold even needed / was any buildup found in the manifolds?

What was used to clean?

My plan was to pull the throttle piping and throttle body, and clean any buildup away with a brush and simple green, or carb cleaner if that doesn’t cut it. At that point I’ll try to look inside of the manifold and see if there’s any visible buildup in there.

Here’s a quick photo I got just from popping off the intake charge piping:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Search using V10 intake cleaning and you'll find plenty of info.

I'm in the middle of this project right now with my 2004 V10. My motivation is 240k miles, a glow plug harness that was failing, and a thermostat that failed and time to change the oil and fuel filters.

I dug maybe a half to 3/4" of soot out of the flappers and intakes so I'm expecting a vastly improved amount of power to be returned.
Automotive tire Automotive design Asphalt Automotive exterior Rim

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The drivability and jumping crap can be fixed by opening up the intake and exhaust. My car is super smooth now since doing so

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
2,905 Posts
Not really sure what piping you're talking about.
The pic that you took shows the EGR port.... all the buildup will be downstream of that... so the horn, flap, manifold, intake ports and valves.

Back to your issues... have you done full VCDS scans to look for clues of issues? Have you logged any parameters when you're experiencing these symptoms? What kind of milage? What kind of DPF stats? Are you still in warranty? Any CELs?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The drivability and jumping crap can be fixed by opening up the intake and exhaust. My car is super smooth now since doing so
I’d consider doing a full tune and delete, if I weren’t likely moving to a state that has emissions testing. Which is unfortunate, because full delete and tune would really be about the only way to make it worth the cost and effort of cleaning and replacing everything, to eliminate this happening again, eliminating the possibility of adblue leaving me stranded and the added power would be welcomed.

Not really sure what piping you're talking about.
The pic that you took shows the EGR port.... all the buildup will be downstream of that... so the horn, flap, manifold, intake ports and valves.

Back to your issues... have you done full VCDS scans to look for clues of issues? Have you logged any parameters when you're experiencing these symptoms? What kind of milage? What kind of DPF stats? Are you still in warranty? Any CELs?
That photo was taken before the first throttle body, and yeah, all the buildup was mostly downstream from there, a little upstream but looked like a normal amount to be coming out of something spewing garbage right back into the engine. Judging by everything else I’m reading it looks like everything will be caked with gunk, like you said. (Ugh, that’ll be fun/cheap/quick to clean…)

As far as my issues, they’re not throwing any codes, only thing that came up last time was intermittent NOX sensor, no CEL. Haven’t logged anything and I’m not even sure OBDELEVEN can do that. Display says 24ish mpg average, longer highway trips it’ll claim 26-27, usually my calculated average is 1.5-2 mpg less. I’m at 113k miles and pretty sure I’m out of warranty. No DPF stats. It really is just some wonky drivability that seems to be the result of the buildup I’m seeing.

This is exactly the post I was looking for, thank you!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Do you have a VNT? If so,⁹check that for blockage too.
As for what should be cleaned: I just pulled my turbo to do a cartridge change because of leaky seals so I had a look on YouTube for clues and tips.
I saw one video where they cleaned and flushed the entire inlet tract then media blasted the valve ports. I don't know what media was used, I think it was in Russian.
The ports were very gunky.

The thing probably sang like Pavarotti afterward.

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
2,905 Posts
Soot is good for the VNT mechanism as it actually lubricates it. That's why VNT is mainly a diesel thing, not a gasser thing.

Sticky VNT would also cause boost codes if it were the issue.

OP, you need to at least look at live data if you can't log to see what is lacking when you experience your issues. Could be lots of things.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Can you please share this code with us.... I've never seen a "something is wrong" code that was fixed by replacing a water pump. Would love some education today.
I don't remember the code number but it indicates that the VNT actuator solenoid is faulty, few different things set it off.

In my case the water pump was leaking into the crankcase as they but wasn't emulsifying with the oil, instead the water was being sucked up by the PCV and into the intake.
Luckily it didn't hydrolock but at least one cylinder showed too much pressure causing a limp and throwing the code.
It's the same code that gunned up nozzles or a defective vacuum actuator or a bad vacuum hose will throw.

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
2,905 Posts
Sounds like the issue was more along the lines of interpreting the code and further diagnosing the components involved. Once a code is obtained, output\component tests must follow... vane control is electronic on most of the newer tech and not vacuum actuators like the old PD engines.....

Diagnostic tools\software is still useless if not used properly.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Yep. Tested everything one a*t a time and believe me when I say that going after the water pump wasn't a decision made lightly.

I was impressed by the number of things that are revealed by using VAG Com but that particular area is pretty vague.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts