Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears the heat inside the assembly has put the wires past their useful life. I was wondering if replacing the entire assembly the best way to resolve this issue.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Which part of "the assembly" are you talking about?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey noobytoogy, the wires leading into the wiring plug for the halogen light specifically, as I was changing those bulbs yesterday. I followed all of the wires around inside the assembly and all of them are cracked and breaking open.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Same here. My parking lights don't work because of this.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Other people have just taped them up or spliced new wires in.

I'd go for the latter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Same - ongoing issue 5+ years for us. Our dealer painted with a liquid tape goo - hasn't worked 100% and made a huge mess inside housings. Had to remove parking lights due to mysterious short - source could not be ascertained. Please bump this thread if this becomes a TSB or factory recall issue in future and we will get our dealer or VW AG to pay to replace their dangerous wiring.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
A good auto electrician will rewire each headlight for you far more cheaply than any VW dealer.

You've got a ten year old car - things go wrong.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I am having a crack at fixing mine.
the liquid paint on insulation just melts and makes a mess.
the insulation tape is almost as messy.

Electrical wiring Wire Cable management Electrical supply Technology

I want to replace the wires with new ones!

Does anybody know how to remove this plug from the headlight housing?

Auto part Technology Engine Carburetor Machine

I thought maybe some tool goes into the larger slots top and bottom on the right of centre?

my eyes are not good enough to see how it releases?

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
I just PM'ed you my phone number, give me a call tonight.. remember I am in Melb.

Stu..

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
YEP .....

Hammer .... 4lbs'er will get it out. You want my Hy-test ?

I am having a crack at fixing mine.
the liquid paint on insulation just melts and makes a mess.
the insulation tape is almost as messy.

View attachment 121153

I want to replace the wires with new ones!

Does anybody know how to remove this plug from the headlight housing?

View attachment 121161

I thought maybe some tool goes into the larger slots top and bottom on the right of centre?

my eyes are not good enough to see how it releases?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Good Man Hedditch .... hope you got treated well on the 06 Sep this year....

I just PM'ed you my phone number, give me a call tonight.. remember I am in Melb.

Stu..

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
701 Posts
Again thanks for the assistance Stuart,

made the terminal tool from an old wiper blade backing.
Glass Metal

release the purple secondary clip (varies on models)
Electronics Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Technology Electrical supply

After making a drawing of the wiring the terminals popped out easily.
Auto part Motor vehicle Engine Vehicle Carburetor

bought silicon wires from altronics (75c / m)
Coping saw Wire Tool Pliers Diagonal pliers

then I took the old wires out one at a time and soldered the new wires to match.
Wire Technology Cable Electronic device
Wire Branch Twig Technology Electronic device

it was a bit tedious soldering to the old connectors but it turned out ok.
I used heat shrink on exposed ends.
Electrical wiring Cable management Wire Electrical supply Auto part

I was quite relieved when the refitted lights all worked. total time for the repair was about 5 hours! think I will have rest before I tackle the LHS unit.

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Hi Ragman,

Nice to see a plan come together..... Just imagine the pain I went through a couple of years back before I "discovered" the secondary locking bar..legacy behaviour from working too long on non-Euro cars.

Stu...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
wish i could afford down time like that to fix stuff

No garage now (turned into a granny flat)

and young kids in my pockets

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,415 Posts
The OEM headlight manufacturer used substandard components. Period.

There are cars 20 and 30 years old that the factory wiring harness are still intact. Decades old farm tractors and construction equipment still using the original wiring. Buildings that are way over 50 years old that still use the original antique wiring.

It is not unrealistic to expect that the electrical insulation should last more then a decade.

If this was normal, you would see it happening in all vehicles. And do you expect that you will have the replace the internal wiring on anything else you own in a decade. Sure, some items such as switches can fail, but the actual wiring itself???

Don't expect VW to stand behind anything that they sell, especially once the warranty is passed.

Don't expect any help from the regulators in the States. For the most part, consumer protections are a thing of the past.

The only solution is to rewire the headlights yourself or to replace them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just ran into this same exact problem with my headlight assembly wire insulation completely disintegrating. My left turn signal fuse blew and when I looked in the left headlight assembly I found all the brown and black wires cracked with large gaps of insulation falling off the wire. I'm sure this is the case with many Touaregs. You just won't know about it until something shorts or you open up the headlight assembly.

I wish VW would step up and fix the problem. I heard they had to use biodegradable wire insulation. Could that really be possible???

Anyway, I replaced the wires as described here and that fixed the short. However, I now have a new problem. I have a +12v short to the front side light (the little amber light) so it stays on all the time. I checked the connector that the headlight assembly plugs into and the +12v pin is always hot so it does not have anything to do with the headlight assembly wiring. Any ideas on what could be causing this short.

Thanks,

Al

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
This is not VW's fault. Valeo makes the lights.

also had to fix mine

I didn't want to do it again so....

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Another good reason for disabling DRL's?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts