Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an '05 Treg V8 with a sick(almost hollow)-sounding door-open(ie w/ vehicle off and headlights on) and turn signal chime. It's as if the chime now sounds "static'y" and very "buzzery"--that's the best way to describe it. It's definitely no longer a "ding" but instead a "static buzz"...like a sick goose almost.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any resolution?

No codes in VAG-COM by the way. Vehicle has about 68k on it.

TIA!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine failed at some point in the last month or so. Didn't even notice until the wife pointed it out.
Failed completely (ie no sounds), or the sick/hollow/buzzery chime now?

Unfortunately I think the chime is integrated into the instrument cluster like the Audi TT's and others. Ugh, wouldn't be an inexpensive fix.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not too hard to fix. The instrument panel is easily removed. The speaker has failed (common enough issue on the T1). I used a speaker from an old walkie talkie that was a good replacement size. Problem sorted in 30 minutes.
Do a search here, someone wrote a good pictorial on this issue a fyear or two ago.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not too hard to fix. The instrument panel is easily removed. The speaker has failed (common enough issue on the T1). I used a speaker from an old walkie talkie that was a good replacement size. Problem sorted in 30 minutes.
Do a search here, someone wrote a good pictorial on this issue a fyear or two ago.
Thanks redking. Understood on the cluster R&R. From my search findings (instrument cluster speaker), it appears that the speaker should soon fail completely.
I haven't been able to find a pictorial. If you happen to find the link, please paste here. Thanks!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Pictorial

I will post my own fix . Cannot figure out how to resize the pics on photobucket so sorry for the large pics!!

Step 1 - On the dash 'dome', pull down the lower panel. Use the edge of a flat blade scredriver to catch the corner and then pull using your fingers. It pops right off.

Step 2 - Pop the facia covers as per the picture below. Then undo the screws. This allows the facia that covers the top of the steering wheel mount to come loose. Give it a little pull forward so that you can now see the bottom of the cluster panel.

Step 3 - Undo the 4 screws on the top of the cluster panel. Then pull the dome upwards and towards you in one motion. This will allow you to undo the last two remaining screws that are on top of the cluster panel.

Step 4 - Pull the cluster panel up and towards you in one motion. Also undo the two wiring looms at the back of the panel.

Step 5 - Undo the small screws at the back of the cluster unit. You will need a small hex head for this, size T10. Very carefully then undo the 8 clips to separate the covers. The speaker is mounted on the inside of the white coloured cover.

Step 6 - replace speaker. I tried several before I found one that was good enough sound quality, it was from an old bluetooth handsfree car kit that was busted.

Step 7 - Reverse of steps 1-5...

Done in 20 minutes!

·
Dark Lord of the Sith
1,278 Posts
Agreed.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Thank you for the pictorial. I had contemplated leaving this part of the vehicle's functionality to rot, but have now decided to unmount the panel-cum-controller myself and take it to this old TV/Radio repair shop around here and have them install a new speaker.

Will post here once it gets done.

·
Registered
262 Posts
A small hint.... smaller speaker = lower volume of noise --> if you find the warning signals a bit of a (necessary) pain in the rear, then get them to install a speaker that is still audible yet not annoying.... I played with two different speakers before I found one that had an acceptable volume that I was happy with. The first one I installed nearly blew the ear drums off me.:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Red-king: Awesome write up. I did this fix on my 2005 Touareg today and it worked like a charm. Took me about 1.5 hours including locating a similar sized speaker from one of my sons toys.
Here is the old speaker:

And here is what I took the replacement speaker out of:

Works perfect!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Careful of the impendance of the replacement speaker you intend to use. The original micro speaker located in the instrument cluster is 32 Ohms.
Using a speaker with a lower impedance will cause the sound to be louder but can also cause damage to some of the electronic components that drive the micro speaker (Ohms law i.e. reducing the resistance, increases the current).

Those folks selling these original micro speakers for the Touareg on ebay for $80+ are price gougers, blatantly taking advantage that one cant easily get an exact replacement and ripping people off.
These micro speakers can be picked up for a few dollars if you know what you are looking for. They may not be exact and wont have a connector attached but will do the job. A little solder to unsolder the black/red lead from your old speaker and re-solder to the new one is all that would be needed for the fraction of the price.

I bought 3 of these for about $12. They are 32 ohm and about the same size as the original and w/o a connector.
I will do a write up with photos once those arrive similar to the OP above.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The original micro speaker located in the instrument cluster is 32 Ohms.
Rigasr, great post, many thanks.

I haven't got this fixed yet, because I haven't been able to find any old-style TV/Radio repair shops around!

I might leave the micro speaker dead forever, as it is today, but my wife keeps nagging me about it. :writers_block:

·
Registered
489 Posts
The replacement micro speakers arrived. The diameter of the new speaker is a little smaller than the original but not an issue at all. All this means is that it doesnt clip into its housing within the cluster as the original. However a little bit of gorilla glue does the trick.
I cut the 2 wires from the old speaker and soldered to the new one. Put everything back together and it works like a charm. It sounds exactly like the original, not any louder nor softer.

The key here is to get a micro speaker of the same impedance as the original i.e. 32 Ohms. Anything different will impact the sound/volume and possibly even damage your cluster.

Here's a link to the speakers I bought on ebay (comes in a set of 3 so you will have 2 spares). Shipping was fast to: (3) Miniature 32-Ohm SPEAKERS - Water Resistant MYLAR CONE - 29 mm Dia | eBay

·
Registered
177 Posts
I replaced my speaker with he one you recommended, but I still have no sound. Is it possible that it's been coded out? I'm the third owner of my Touareg.

I've also got no blinker "clicks"... not sure if that's from the speaker or something else entirely.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Wont be a coding thing, I dont think you can code that. You need to make sure that white 2-pin connector mates the connector on the PC board when you put the 2 parts of the console back together. The first time round when I did this, the white connector wasnt aligned so when I put the two halves of the console together, it didnt make contact and no sound.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts