Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my instrument cluster stopped working (the center screen). So I replaced the whole part with a second hand one. Two problems I now face:

1. On every start-up I get a message "Brake Assist Workshop" that goes away after a split second. Nothing recorded in VCDS, and my battery is brand new.

2. The miles on the screen relate to the previous owner's Touareg. I don't remember my original miles. Is there a place I can visit in the ECUs to recover the original milege, and then code it into the new instrument panel?

Obviously the work has not been done in a dealership but by me, so I just need help with programming it. I own an original VAGCOM so I have the tools.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I think you will find that the actual mileage is recorded and stored in the ECU and you should see this using VCDS.

You can always ask Ross-Tech how to access it.

How you change the dash reading I know not but there are several threads on Goggle from the Ross-Tech site about changing clusters and mileages.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
You can reset the mileage to actual by resetting the cluster to anything under 100.0 kms. You need some bench equipment to do this so it's not a do it yourself thing. Once it's reset per these conditions you can use your vcds to input new mileage, there is a procedure on Ross tech wiki that shows how to do this. Your mileage cannot be changed unless it's under 100kms so you can't skip that step.

You used cluster is programmed to look for the options in the old vehicle, follow the instructions in the swap clusters thread in the diy section of this forum to figure out how to reprogram. It'll give you funky errors until you go through this process. This thread also outlines the mileage setting procedure in vcds.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f73/how-to-swap-red-mfd-for-colour-mfd-69702.html

The mileage in the cluster and ecu are unrelated, ecu holds the true mileage always and this cannot be altered. Instrument cluster is a reference only hence why it can be changed under specific conditions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi thanks for the great replies. My VAGCOM is version 311.2 and it does not report the mileage at the beginning of the scan. I.E. these are the first lines:

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Chassis Type: 7L - VW Touareg
Scan: 01,02,03,05,06,08,09,11,15,16,17,18,19,1C,22,29,32,34,36,37,39,46,47,55,56,57,64,65,68,69,6C,6E,75,76,77

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 022 906 032 BE
Component: MOTRONIC ME7.1.1G 0008
Coding: 0001133
Shop #: WSC 00025

Is there a place in the ECU (which ECU?) to see the actual mileage.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
The mileage will display on any vcds scan as long as you have a licensed copy of the cable.

I noticed you are in Greece, there are a few vendors in Germany that can do the cluster mileage reset to 0

·
Registered
682 Posts
My VAGCOM is version 311.2

The mileage will display on any vcds scan as long as you have a licensed copy of the cable.

I noticed you are in Greece, there are a few vendors in Germany that can do the cluster mileage reset to 0
Chinese.

How did you overcome the IMMOBILIZER? Anyhow the cluster will allow a mileage set once via a legit VCDS cable. >:)

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Anyhow the cluster will allow a mileage set once via a legit VCDS cable. >:)
This is only true up to the first 100 Kilometres, and is provided to allow Dealers to remove distances recorded during transportation, such as loading and unloading or ferrying from another dealer. It is not and never was designed to allow for a RetroFit. The only real option is as already stated, have an instrument technician re calibrate your cluster ( post by nickm ).

Stuart...

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
There is no immobilizer in the cluster of the Touareg. The immobilizer is in the kessy. There is a kessy module regardless of if you have keyless entry or not. Some VWs have it in the cluster but that's not how the Touareg is designed.

Again a legit vcds will only allow mileage reset if mileage is less than 100km. This is a pre programmed dealer function that allows a one time reset of mileage to "erase" the mileage from moving the vehicle around dealer lot etc. Vcds cannot reset mileage otherwise if that condition is not met.

·
Registered
682 Posts
There is no immobilizer in the cluster of the Touareg. The immobilizer is in the kessy. There is a kessy module regardless of if you have keyless entry or not.
What? Where is that located exactly? :surprise:

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
The kessy is directly above the throttle pedal. It's approx. 15cm x 10cm x 5cm (rough dimensions). You don't need to touch it at all if you are swapping the instrument cluster, there is no connection between the kessy and the instruments.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeap my cable is Chinese. And from those Chinese, it is the cheapest. But it works!
Anyway, I was wondering whether the proper mileage is shown somewhere in one of the ECUs in the MVBs. If you have any idea, let me know, otherwise, just the information given my nickm is more than enough.
Thanks

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
With a legit vcds the mileage displays anytime you do a scan, usually it will even save the txt file name with the mileage. So even if the cluster is showing the incorrect mileage, the ecu holds the correct mileage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts