Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

i did post this question in one of the diy threads, but am getting desperate, so here it goes (sorry for the dup):

i need to replace the mfd lcd in a 2006 r5 tdi instrument cluster. it's the older red/amber monochrome model. (and yes, i'm certain its the lcd, not a transformer - it's physical :)

could anybody tell me the manufacturer/model/make of the lcd panel, so i can look for a replacement? (i don't really want to pay up for a full cluster, unless i absolutely have to.)

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
hi all,

i did post this question in one of the diy threads, but am getting desperate, so here it goes (sorry for the dup):

i need to replace the mfd lcd in a 2006 r5 tdi instrument cluster. it's the older red/amber monochrome model. (and yes, i'm certain its the lcd, not a transformer - it's physical :)

could anybody tell me the manufacturer/model/make of the lcd panel, so i can look for a replacement? (i don't really want to pay up for a full cluster, unless i absolutely have to.)

thanks in advance!

I have replaced the LCD screen in a colour MFD recently and have the part number for it and it is easy to get but not sure if the red screen Lcd is the same.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's probably not - the color one is a sharp, right -, and it also does not fit physically: the color one is wider...

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
it's probably not - the color one is a sharp, right -, and it also does not fit physically: the color one is wider...

Correct on it being a sharp panel. Yea the display size is clearly different so probably not why don't you just remove it and see what the actual panel is it would only take 3-4 hrs and you could put it back together and wait till you could get one.

Regards
drag

·
Registered
489 Posts
How about just buying a good used cluster off of DE Ebay and taking out the MFD LCD out of it to use on yours? Not sure though which is the cheaper option.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
disassembled the cluster today, but couldn't find any branding part number indication. it is a very bare-bone part (just the lcd layer between two thin glass plates, with the ribbon cable extending).
the only marking visible on it is the code "5N28-40 207" on the left side of the front.
no luck googling so far :-(

@rigasr: yep, that seems to be my only option at present. (a used cluster runs at around $100US, i was hoping i can get the lcd panel for $30-$40., but am giving up...)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
grabbed a used cluster on ebay... wish me luck :)
will probably re-post the unit (with my buggy lcd) on ebay for parts...

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
disassembled the cluster today, but couldn't find any branding part number indication. it is a very bare-bone part (just the lcd layer between two thin glass plates, with the ribbon cable extending).
the only marking visible on it is the code "5N28-40 207" on the left side of the front.
no luck googling so far :-(

@rigasr: yep, that seems to be my only option at present. (a used cluster runs at around $100US, i was hoping i can get the lcd panel for $30-$40., but am giving up...)
That is suprising that the panel has no part details on it as the colour ones are clearly marked as a Sharp panel and I can assure you VW did not make it.
But anyway good luck with your replacement panel an let us know how it goes.

Regards
Drag

·
Registered
489 Posts
grabbed a used cluster on ebay... wish me luck :)
will probably re-post the unit (with my buggy lcd) on ebay for parts...
Keep the little speaker thats in the cluster as those tend to stop functioning too and expensive to replace.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts