Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...the backlighting in the instrument cluster is out. I live in Ohio where the temps have been freezing. Also, the battery has been sluggish to start. 1. The dimmer switch works because everything else works and dims (A/C, etc) 2. I pulled the headlight switch out and checked it. The plug was hot but no other defects 3. I have only a right rear brake light out. It's been out long before this problem. 4. I haven't pulled codes yet. Will do shortly. 5. NOTE: After 10 minutes of driving, the very right lower corner (battery gauge) will barely light. I have searched my ass off. The only possibilities I can think of is: headlight switch is shorting, cluster is FUBAR, connectors have pin retention issue, wires shorting, or a bad ground (which may be a total plausibility). Maybe a bad battery? I guess this is a common issue throughout VW history. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
It looks like your needles are lit up, so power is still getting to the cluster. I'd pull the cluster and take a look. Looks like the bulb(s?) for the backlight has gone out.

One guy replaced his backlight with an LED strip. The OE light in his cluster was a cold cathode tube. I can't recall what year that was, though. I miss the #194 bulbs in my Jeep. LOL!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So...I ran the VAG-COM. It came up with an intermittent short or open in the headlight switch. I forgot that years ago I had swapped it for an Euro switch. From my research, ALL VW euro switches from the VW line eventually short out. I guess I will source a new switch and give an update.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So...I ran the VAG-COM. It came up with an intermittent short or open in the headlight switch. I forgot that years ago I had swapped it for an Euro switch. From my research, ALL VW euro switches from the VW line eventually short out. I guess I will source a new switch and give an update.
did you ever get this issue sorted? if you did how? im having the exact same issue.
any help is appreciated

1 - 4 of 4 Posts