Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I change my battery to put a new one in the car, after testing it my battery was still good... I heard that on the V10 there is a second battery (under or near) the spare tire. Since I have a V8 is there a place to put a second battery, does the car is ready to install a secondary battery and we only have to connect it? or the electrical schema is completely different between the one battery and 2 batteries configuration?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Not an easy task to add a second battery if you don't have the V10. I think one or two of the aussie/SA guys might have done it but not using the spare tire area.

I always carry a black and decker jump pack in the back. It is my backup battery, should the main one die. Jumps my car and countless others in seconds. Cost $50.

search function is helpful too :)
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=12712

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/touareg-mods/12980-second-battery-anything-other-than-v10.html

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/australia-new-zealand/17476-battery-mount.html

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I think the V8 will be fine with one Battery, I am still on my original battery and it starts fine every day. If you are not comfortable, get a battery booster as Tahie recommended.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, but I got -42C (-44F) last week, it didn't start :(. I don't know about the weather near vancouver, but it was really really cold here in quebec. Since I change my battery and the old one is still ok after testing it, I have two batteries and I don't want to put the old one back and be refund for the new one, because the battery was about 4years and probably needed to be change soon anyway.

I was wondering if it was easy to fit but I read a few line on the link that tahoe sent me and I will definitly go for the booster pack.

Also I found what causes my battery drain, I only need to go to my favorite stealership to get it fixed.

Thanks again Tahoe for you post and your website is really appreciated, I was able to replace my battery myself, It was my first time unbolting something on a car :). But just a little note for Tahoe, I'm not totally sure, but I think that we are able to remove the battery just by removing the first two tripple square bolt that are on the floor and only flip the seat

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes I am crazy to still live here :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hi Jeff

Here's a link to my photos and Tahoe's post probably links there as well. Not as hard as you might think. Probably not the best place if you want it as second cranking battery. You might be better off finding a jump starter battery pack that fits underneath the space save and haul it out when you need. How you'd go about charging it might be a problem. http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g250/bobzed57/Dual Battery/

I'm sure there are suppliers of dual battery controllers in the US that might be able to kit you out.

Balmy day here in Canberra today, about 35 degrees (C that is :D), but about a jazillion percent humidity. A bit hard on us old fat chaps.

Cheers

Bob

·
Registered
208 Posts
What causes your battery drain? I have 2004 Treg that stays unused for a couple month at a time and this time the car didn't start at all, the battery went completelly blank and this is a new battery that I got about a year ago...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know yet what exactly causes the problem, I need to go to the dealership.

But I connected an ammeter between the negative pole of the battery and the cable to troubleshoot it, I have found that it take 0.09amp when everything is set to sleep. But after few minute the ammeter show 3amp for 30sec, going down to 1.6amp for 2minutes, 0.6 for 3-5minutes and then down to 0.09 for few minute and this cycle came back over and over, until I remove the fuse for the Radio.

I read about battery problem coming from the navigation system if you have prior version than 0635, but mine is already at this version, then it is the radio, or cd changer or nav and gps, compas, alarm,.... Since I remove this fuse the car never drop under 12v.

But a car always use some current, let say about 0.1amp (this is what i got when every system is sleeping, I discuss with a car technicien and he told me that bellow 0.2 it is fine...), and that your battery is a 95amp/h (this is what written on the varga one), theorically it will take about 950hours (40days) before it is completly empty. But I don't know how much is needed to start, maybe half charge... about 3weeks.

Maybe someone with more knowledge in car electricity than me could help us about that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Radio! How do you check what is the version of the radio? Can the radio be reflashed with newer software to eliminate this problem? In ukraine they don't sell Tregs with navigation and therefore technicians don't know how to deal with it. I already have the GPS unit inaccesible by either VAG or from the information menu on Radio it self, it just shows that there are no satellites and it stuck at 11m above the sea level...

·
Registered
127 Posts
"In all the tregs there is a spot under the spare tire where the second battery goes for the diesel models. There is also a channell that runs along the driver side of the car where VW would have ran the cable for that second battery. It fits 1/0 guage wire perfectly. I also have a 40 farad capacitor that all the amps are wired to. So the amps are hooked to the 40 farad cap, the cap is hooked to the deep cycle battery, then it travels up the 1/0 guage power line to the spot on the power distribution center under the driver seat. It connects directly to the alternator, if you lift your seat up you will see the curved channell on the top of the plastic that covers all the fuses. It leads to a 10mm stud and nut that is there for the second battery."

This information was shared with me by a fellow CT'er will keep his name anonymous for now. I havent tried it yet, but as soon as the weather warms up its my first project. I should note though the reason I was looking into doing this is because my upgraded stereo pulls alot of power from the battery. Mind you I have had only one issue with starting my Treg, but that was due to a failed kessy module. Other than that the stock battery has been rock solid in my '04. It is the original and stills holds a solid 14 when driving.

Pardesi

·
Registered
301 Posts
What about an isolator? I'm very interested in using a second battery to run my radio gear... wouldn't do to have paralleled batteries, but an isolated unit would be fine business.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What about an isolator? I'm very interested in using a second battery to run my radio gear... wouldn't do to have paralleled batteries, but an isolated unit would be fine business.

Here is an example of how to wire the second battery without an isloator that I found while surfing.

And here is an example of how to wire the second battery with an Isolator. Keep in mind the article mentioned their would be a drop in voltage with this setup.

For my purposes i think I will try the first example, I dont know whether their will be issues with the computer seeing the voltage drop and flining up an error.

Here is the link to the article.

Battery Isolators

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think that owuld work so long as both batteries are roughly the same capacity and are kept at roughly similar states of charge. I'm not sure how it would work if one is discharged while the other is not. Maybe a HD relay between them would keep the flat battery out of the starting circuit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts