Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a bunch of research and believe that i am going to go with the KW DNX8120 for my '06 V10 TDI; unless someone can convince me otherwise... Main reason is that this unit will work with the iphone for bluetooth, MP3, and video upload, has strong ratings for the GPS and I can have XM.

The big question I have that I have yet to find an answer to is if the OEM backup camera will work with this unit, or do I need a new back up camera? If so can it be installed in the same place my current OEM camera is?

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
OEM camera wont work...it processes through a control box. An aftermarket camera will fit in the stock location, the kenwood camera itself is slightly too big but will work (with a bit of silicone), the pioneer camera is a slightly better fit. I know because I've ordered both and sent the kenwood back.

I am currently using the pioneer through an aftermarket adapter box into the stock OEM Nav. Have been contemplating switching over to an 8120 or finding a factory control box & factory camera...if you decide to do the switch maybe we can trade :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Cmprobert- You will be happy with the Kenwood 8120. I just installed the Kenwood 7120 in my 08 Toyota Tacoma. Same unit as the 8120 without the built in bluetooth. I also think the 8120 has a built in chip to control two garage doors.

I did the install myself and it is a Plug and Play install on a Tacoma. As you know, it has the built in Garmin software, which is much better than OEM VW DVD Navigation in the Touareg. If I ever replace my Touareg OEM DVD Navigation, it will be with a Kenwood.

The only thing better on the VW navigation is the clarity of the voice commands during navigation. The Kenwood voice commands are ok, but not as crisp/clear sounding as the VW.

The only downside to installing an aftermarket nav in your Touareg is losing the navigation street names and turn directions in your MFI, but I still think you will be happy with the Kenwood.

I did not install a back up camera so I cannot answer your question regarding the camera.

If you want to keep your wheel controls, you will also need to install a Steering Wheel Audio Control Adapter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I ordered everything today including the Kenwood rear camera (stock will not work with an aftermarket unit), Ipod cable, XM module, and steering wheel controls. Will let you know how the install goes in the next week or so

·
Registered
94 Posts
Correct the OEM backup camera will not work with the Kenwood, the good news is that the Kenwood camera WILL fit into the OEM camera housing with no problems allowing you to keep the natural look of your Treg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, i tried to get the 8112 i believe installed into my 06 touareg and the place i brought it to said the costs would be very high. is this true or do these people just not know what there doing? i really want an aftermarket touchscreen, any advice you could give would be great!

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
The 8120 snaps right in with about $30 bucks in accesories from metra...do a seach on here from metra or go to metraonline.com...you need the antenna adapter, dash kit and wiring harness.

If you are looking at retrofitting the backup camera, you need at least an hour of time to do it..I've posted a how to on here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
just 2000 but when i went to have them do the instal they said it was to complex and would be at least 1000 extra in re-wiring all the speakers. however i know its possible and i'm trying to find an easier way. any help u could offer would be great

·
Registered
12 Posts
06 Touareg V6

Hello:

I am wanting to install a top notch system that can play DVD, iPod Videos/Music, Nav, Rear Cam etc. etc. etc. I would also like to be able to have the kids in the back watch the DVD i'm play from the front via one or two sceens in the back seat.

What is the best make/model to buy in Canada and where is the best place to get it.

Please make a list of all the exact model #s and part #s as I will order asap.

There is no budget limit.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
qwerty, If budget doesn't concern you I'd shop it out at a local car audio shop (not a best buy or other big bix, but a specialty shop). Rear seat DVD screen are complex to install...best to buy them from the people installing them.

tyshady, as mentioned look at metraonline...all you need is 30 bucks worth of adapters...no need to rewire speakers unless you are going full custom system.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hello:

I am wanting to install a top notch system that can play DVD, iPod Videos/Music, Nav, Rear Cam etc. etc. etc. I would also like to be able to have the kids in the back watch the DVD i'm play from the front via one or two sceens in the back seat.

What is the best make/model to buy in Canada and where is the best place to get it.

Please make a list of all the exact model #s and part #s as I will order asap.

There is no budget limit.

Thanks!
I have the Kenwood DDX8120 which as you know from this forum is second to none in terms of navigation and interface. As for kids in the back I'd just get them a portable DVD player with headphones for like $80 at local Sam's CLub then you can do what you want with your stereo...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think I am going to wait for the Kenwood DNX9140. It is suppose to be a lot better. Meaning dual vision screen, buttons on unit stick out a bit (not flush), 3D Nav, iPhone compatible etc.

As for the rear DVD, I was going to get the Advent headrests. Does anyone have these or are they junk?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think I am going to wait for the Kenwood DNX9140. It is suppose to be a lot better. Meaning dual vision screen, buttons on unit stick out a bit (not flush), 3D Nav, iPhone compatible etc.

As for the rear DVD, I was going to get the Advent headrests. Does anyone have these or are they junk?
Always good to wait; I don't find the buttons an issue on mine and the navi is excellent. My 8120 bluetooths my Iphone perfectly as well as with the Ipod connector does a fabulous job. I'd wait until the 9140 comes out then get the 8120 at 1/2 it's now price...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts