Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I recently purchased an '05 V6 Touareg. When I say recently, I mean a month ago this Friday. This is important because we still haven't taken possession of the vehicle, but I'll rant on that later...

My question is about the headlamps. During the test drive she (I was home sick) noticed that under no circumstances did the inner headlamps come on. I have heard that if you have the bi-xenon lamps that the outer headlamps will only come on when you pull the stalk, but in our care the inners will not. I take that to mean we do not have the bi-xenons.

Either way, the stealership said 'no problem,' and gave it to their service department and said we'd have it in 3 days tops. Ended up going from them (domestic dealership) to the local VW/Porsche dealer. It's been there ever since and is still being 'diagnosed.' Apparently, they initially said there was no problem with the headlamps and tried to give it back, but after our dealership said 'no, the inners don't come on' they have been diagnosing the issue for 3.5 weeks now.

I just want to know 2 things:
1.) Under what conditions will the inner lamps come on? (not bi-xenon)
2.) Are the any common (or uncommon) issues that would take an authorized VW dealer a month to diagnose, let alone fix?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Did you try pulling in the stalk to initiate a "flash to pass"? I have xenons...and think the "interior" headlamp is used for passing. Others with more knowledge have used VAGcom to modify headlamp (DRL, al on at once) capabilities.

Could be your lights are working fine. I can't recall if I put on high beams if they light up...as I am usually driving at that time.

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
If you have Xenon's they are flash to pass only since Xenons are not meant to be flashed like halogens. With Xenons high and low beam are from the same light and it does not even change intensity, but rather lifts a shutter so you get the whole beam. If you do in fact have Xenons the inner highs can be VAGged to function as high beams also. I believe on the halogen equipped cars the inners are the high beams and outers low. Sounds like you have Xenons to me and all is functioning normally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. If this ends up being the case and we were without our car for nearly a month I don't know what I'm going to do...

I'm not sure how I'm going to try this, though. The car is still at the dealship- Should I call them up and just call them out? 'Sorry, but I think you might not know anything. Try pulling the stalk.' I'll swing by there after work and see if they'll let me mess around with it. It is my car after all.

·
Administrator
4,364 Posts
I'd say the first thing to do is determine which headlamp assembly you have (or have the dealer confirm for you) and then determine it's functionality. Don't worry about insulting the dealers intelligence. They usually don't mind insulting yours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, aircooled. I called the dealership who confirmed we had the xenons. They wouldn't go test pulling the stalk for me. I, technically, wasn't the customer so it didn't matter what kind of fuss I made for them to go try it. I had my dealership pull the call from them. I just want to see it for myself. Works fine. Perfectly.

They had my car for damn near a month just because they didn't know how to use the flash to pass lights. Amazing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts