Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure I posted something similar but I've always wanted to know why the original pumps were failing at a high rate on the T1 and T2. Maybe more on the T1. Mine i a 2004 and the pumps have not been replaced yet. I'm seeing a rich condition and I'm troubleshooting it bit by bit. I will be working on the fuel rail in the next step. The fuel pressure is one of the causes of such conditions. So my question: Anyone know why those pumps were failing at that rate on the Touareg, the Phaeton and the Cayenne and maybe the Q7?
I suspect the fuel lines get old and start leaking back in the tank or a clogged filter or fuel pressure regulator.
It's seems a lot of waste if you just need to replace the fuel submersible in-tank fuel lines and connectors and the fuel filter and be back to business without having to throw those pumps in the bin.
Anyone done a test of the whole system when replacing the pumps?
Looks like everybody is just replacing the two pumps. I'm thinking of getting a used full fuel pump setup from ebay just to study this issue and maybe offer a more affordable reliable solution and stop wasting those pumps :)

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone kept their broken fuel pumps and all?
I'm ready for a forensic project if you can send the whole set over my way :)
I'll pay for pickup too.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think this guy is doing the job for me but I don't understand what he is saying.
Any Russians over here, please?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
And this one is spot on I think.
He has quite a collection of pumps :)
I think we can just stop blindly replacing those pumps !
I also think that those pumps should be cleaned at a certain interval. All those filters are being gunked over time. maybe a good cleaning every 30.000 or 40.000 km can prevent those failures.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8
128 Posts
My 05 around 80K miles started acting up. All Signs pointed to fuel pumps.
Instead of changing the pumps, I changed just the filter cartridge (picture below) and it runs beautiful. Since then, we've done 11K miles and still runs great!
I think many people just throw pumps at it. In some cases, it could be just the filter thats clogged up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just replaced everything on my 2008 with 212k that was already not even working the fuel gauge so I replaced everything that goes into the tank, the high pressure fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator , but in my case it just better changing the hpfp and fuel pressure regulator and cam follower ( right next to the hpfp in the engine bay in the 3.6)

I’m pretty sure I changed things I did not need, but I got the car for 1000 bucks and knew I should do some maintenance, did the valve cover and gasket and manifold gasket too, runs like a champ now the 2008, whie looking up the fue problem I found locally another v6 2005 3.2 that I’m trying to fix and you helped me with the links that I will soon read!
Pics of the 2008 engine while doing the valve cover and gasket, then pic after I cleaned it all up, and pic of the fuel pump job ( with a full tank..I thought the car was having problems starting up because of the fuel since the gauge was not working since vw messed with the pumps during their recall of the flange , actually I think that’s also when problems begins, when dealers go do pump recalls...)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Translators required please

Nord or Nikoloz would be your best bet. My Russian is crap. I think though Nikoloz has his hands full at the moment. ... Not sure how Nord is going.

Another Russian member that i have not seen much of for a few years now was Timovech but cant find him now also not sure of spelling

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ps. I did keep everything I changed, hpfp, fuel press sensor, cam follower, fuel flange, fuel filter and both left and right pumps along with left and right side of the tank level sending units... more complete than that I’m not sure if you can find it , it’s for the 2008 3.6 .... I changed for all VDO parts, for the 2005 treg which has the jacked relays and ghetto wiring, I got cheaper parts from amazon, 1/3 the price more or less... let’s see how they work... the car I got for 800 with 156k but found out on carfax it says 20k more... not sure how someone would roll back 20k miles or even why?! :rollseyes:

hopefully I can add another 20k electronically somehow? I’d rather have the right mileageon there, maybe the cluster was changed?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like a cluster replacement.
Good work there. That backseat pump warzone scene is frightening :)

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Can you confirm the part number on the fuel filter itself please?
ETKA does not show it and the petrol vs diesel pumps have different part numbers so not sure the fuel filter is the same.
I found this: 7L0919679S but this is the whole fuel tank flange.
This one is for the TDI 7L6127434A
Another useful thread:

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Additional info from a russion (Porsche) forum (google translate :) )

When the gas pumps are running, they feed about 6 bar first into the fuel filter. Further, gasoline goes from the filter to the pressure regulator, which reduces the pressure to 4 bar (like on dorestayl) by dumping excess gasoline.
When the fuel filter is clogged, it can no longer take all the pressure and the gas pumps have to dump it themselves. There is also a relief valve in the form of a ball spring-loaded steel spring.
Now imagine: the gas pump is running and relieves excess pressure through its valve. What happens to the spring at this moment? Bingo!!!! She shrinks. Physics. The longer it shrinks, the greater the likelihood that it will soon be compressed and not unclenched.
This is followed by a replacement of the fuel filter, after which the pump can blow into the filter as much as it wants, but the spring cannot close the pump relief valve.
That is all love.
And no need to blame and run into service managers. They know that the pumps are running off, they simply cannot explain

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
And this is the filter for the petrol pumps: (this is a 6€ part made by a German company !!!)

We need confirmation form people who changed it.
Like I said earlier the pumps have different part number for diesel and petrol engines. It might be the same part physically but do your research before ordering anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I read this on the Touareg Russian forum form a guy who is as crazy as me about getting red of the vw chains around your neck with all this sealed for life bullshit.
He says this as a reply to a guy who talk about the availability of a new filter for the Treg:

yartcevsergey , what kind of nonsense are you carrying ...... regarding what I went through three years ago.
Added after 15 minutes 1 second
three years ago I somehow found and bought 5 SCT 7063 filters in reserve, got tired of it, eventually sold the leftovers and excluded the native filter. You probably threw out the old orange rubber band when replacing it. and put the black from the kit with a new filter. If so then after a year you will have errors exceeding the regulation range of the gas pump, due to the fact that the black rubber is not gas-resistant, then remember me then.

The other guy is talking about another filter. I hope it's not the same you put as the rubber o-ring will start leaking or so I understood from the google translate. Maybe Russian forum members will help us get this straight.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So this guy just deleted the fuel filter and replaced it with a metal Mann fuel filter. He kept the fuel tank flange. I'll probably be doing the same when I open that pump. I will get that Topran filter too just in case. I'll practice on an old pump I'm getting off of ebay if the seller agrees to my price. The filter he used is MANN WK512. he had to mod the fuel lines of course. I will add his pics later. Or mine if I do the mod.

Here is the link to this mod:

·
Registered
39 Posts
1 - 20 of 143 Posts