Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i first start my 11 gasser it revs at about 1100rpm for 40 or 50 seconds, then drops to 800rpm. sometimes if i shift into gear before the drop to 800 the engine is sluggish, especially in the cold. is this normal?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yes. Normal. Not just for the VR6, by the only cars I have owned that didn't do this was an 88' 16v and a 2010 TDI. The 88' however had to be manually revved up or it would die when it was cold...which is why it is normal for most if not all gassers.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. My wifes subaru doesnt do this at all.

Should i sit still until it drops to 800?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It really doesn't matter, but it also doesn't hurt to give the motor a few seconds to get things lubricated.

One odd thing, I believe aside from revving to warm up, the revving **might** also be related to additional power needed from alternator to power secondary injection pump (air being blown into exhaust to help with rich fuel mixture for emissions).

·
Registered
465 Posts
It is our rule to NOT move Treg until the RPMs drop on our TDI. Also,we move it slow until the temp reaches 200.

We have experienced the same issues your gasser in the past. (Other vehicles) We have cure that problem with fuel injector cleaner.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
When i first start my 11 gasser it revs at about 1100rpm for 40 or 50 seconds, then drops to 800rpm. sometimes if i shift into gear before the drop to 800 the engine is sluggish, especially in the cold. is this normal?
Mtalinm
The engine also runs a bit higher on start up because the engine is cold, the fuel droplets have to be increased until the intake manifold is warm. It is also a function of the emissions and the engine trying to attain the proper mixture for the catalytic converters to operate properly. The engine will read temp, oxygen content, rpm, pressure, etc... when it reaches that limit in the software maps, the engine RPM will reduce to an idle. Bearing in mind that the rest of car will probably be cold, (ie. gearbox, differentials, steering, etc...
Hope this helps in explaining what happens when you first start a cold engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts