Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi help and advice needed.
In preparation for my caravan 3.2t with a hitch hight of 560mm and DO35 tow pin and my current tow ball hight is 400mm (2020 CR Premium)
Now there are plenty of adjustable tow bar hitches however they all seem to be very long. Stick out 300mm from the pin hole.
and the sticker on my tow bar states the following. Max length 157.3mm.
Thoughts, recommendations or experiences??
Font Auto part Electronic device Automotive tire Electric blue

·
Registered
2017 (MY2018) V6 TDI - Deep Black Pearlescent
376 Posts
I believe it is permissible shorten the 50x50 shank and redrill the anchor pin hole. Shorten it as much as possible. The additional mass of and fancy tow hitch (mcHitch or other) needs to be included in your 280kg max TBM
The other option is change the mounting position of the coupling on the van.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
So are you saying you cannot meet the 157mm length recommendation or the height?

If the height is the issue you may want to look at a fabricator that can raise the gooseneck rather than find a height adjustable one which you see behind each Landcruiser which sticks way out.

TonyB

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So are you saying you cannot meet the 157mm length recommendation or the height?

If the height is the issue you may want to look at a fabricator that can raise the gooseneck rather than find a height adjustable one which you see behind each Landcruiser which sticks way out.

TonyB
Yep my only requirement is to have the tow ball at 550mm above the ground. Currently sits at 400mm.
All the adjustable ones stick out a mile however may see if a fabricator can make something up.

·
Registered
2021 Touareg 210TDI R-Line Wolfsburg Edition Pure White
31 Posts
Raising the towball height that much is going to significantly increase the toads on the towbar mounts due to the greater moment/leverage of the towball load, and also affect weight transfer to both car axles.

Undoubtedly more complex and expensive, but a properly engineered dropping of the caravan hitch to suit the car's towball height will minimise the loads the van transfers to the car, which could be important if there are high shock loads, eg towing 3.2T offroad

If the van is built to comply with the Vehicle Standards Bulletin https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/i.../vehicle-design-regulation/rvs/bulletins/vsb1, the caravan coupling body should be compatible with a towball height from 350-460mm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Already done all that. It needs to me raised about 160mm
I agree with Wolfy - lower the hitch on the caravan. I had an off road camper years ago with a polly block coupling and I just changed the coupling on the van from on top of the A frame to underneath. If you raise the tow point that high will your rear hatch still open?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi help and advice needed.
In preparation for my caravan 3.2t with a hitch hight of 560mm and DO35 tow pin and my current tow ball hight is 400mm (2020 CR Premium)
Now there are plenty of adjustable tow bar hitches however they all seem to be very long. Stick out 300mm from the pin hole.
and the sticker on my tow bar states the following. Max length 157.3mm.
Thoughts, recommendations or experiences?? View attachment 246892
I have exactly the same issue. I tow a van and need to raise the the towball to match van (can’t lower hitch on van) also trying yo comply with the pin to ball distance. Looking to get a tongue assembly custom made. Best we can do is 175mm pin to ball centre which is only 17mm more. Bettter than current situation with the old reese WDH assembly that has me at 305mm pin to ball. Speaking with an engineering friend he believes the pin to ball is more important than the height as the longer the pin to ball dimension the more force applied to the towbar mounting which is especially important a vehicle without a full chassis

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have exactly the same issue. I tow a van and need to raise the the towball to match van (can’t lower hitch on van) also trying yo comply with the pin to ball distance. Looking to get a tongue assembly custom made. Best we can do is 175mm pin to ball centre which is only 17mm more. Bettter than current situation with the old reese WDH assembly that has me at 305mm pin to ball. Speaking with an engineering friend he believes the pin to ball is more important than the height as the longer the pin to ball dimension the more force applied to the towbar mounting which is especially important a vehicle without a full chassis
Which option gives you the pin to ball of 175mm? I’d love to know.
I purchase the Mister Hitches which has 3 holes with the shortest being 26m however that hole can’t be used due to the corner weld getting in the way. So 305mm is the best I can do.

·
Registered
2021 Touareg 210TDI R-Line Wolfsburg Edition Pure White
31 Posts
Which option gives you the pin to ball of 175mm? I’d love to know.
I purchase the Mister Hitches which has 3 holes with the shortest being 26m however that hole can’t be used due to the corner weld getting in the way. So 305mm is the best I can do.
I realise you're stuck between a rock and a hard place, but keep in mind that by using 305mm ball to pin hitch vs the approx 160mm on the bar placard, for the same trailer ball weight, you are increasing the rear axle load by about 5%. If your van is nose heavy to start that could push you over the rear axle limit, even with the ball weight less than max. So if you do end up at 305mm I'd suggest paying even closer than normal attention to van weight distribution to minimise ball weight.

·
Registered
376 Posts
[edited] Agree with Wolfy if you move the ball out from 157 to 305 then you need to reduce the max Tow Ball weight

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I realise you're stuck between a rock and a hard place, but keep in mind that by using 305mm ball to pin hitch vs the approx 160mm on the bar placard, for the same trailer ball weight, you are increasing the rear axle load by about 5%. If your van is nose heavy to start that could push you over the rear axle limit, even with the ball weight less than max. So if you do end up at 305mm I'd suggest paying even closer than normal attention to van weight distribution to minimise ball weight.
Thanks mate agree with what you have pointed out. The specks for hight only apply to standard tow balls and that’s why many off road vans with 16inch wheels (all sit above the standards) supply DO35 instead. But agree need to reduce the length because the ball weight issue will only be worse the longer the distance.

·
Registered
MY16 R-Line V8 Black (7P) + MY21 R-Line V8 Black (CR)
102 Posts
Yep my only requirement is to have the tow ball at 550mm above the ground. Currently sits at 400mm.
All the adjustable ones stick out a mile however may see if a fabricator can make something up.
It not like you could raise the Air suspension to suit as the CR will automatically lower it as you speed increases. Trade the van. You'll save the extra steps up into it.

·
Registered
2019 CR launch edition. Factory towbar
216 Posts
It not like you could raise the Air suspension to suit as the CR will automatically lower it as you speed increases. Trade the van. You'll save the extra steps up into it.
How do you stop the CR raising or lowering whilst connecting the caravan?

·
Registered
376 Posts
It will not change unless you alter the setting or get to ~120kph.

anyway why would you want to? That’s what is so good about the air suspension it levels out the car on its own

·
Registered
2019 CR launch edition. Factory towbar
216 Posts
It will not change unless you alter the setting or get to ~120kph.

anyway why would you want to? That’s what is so good about the air suspension it levels out the car on its own
No I don’t want it to but it changes as I connect my McHitch..

·
Registered
MY16 R-Line V8 Black (7P) + MY21 R-Line V8 Black (CR)
102 Posts
How do you stop the CR raising or lowering whilst connecting the caravan?
I found if the engine remains running the air suspension won't lower. I believe it lowered as part of the Easy Access function when stopped, (the front seats may also go back to give more leg access to exit) so folk don't need to "jump" out.

I raise the caravan height with the Jockey wheel (ie high coupler height) and drive the ball under using reverse camera, then use the load height buttons in the boot to raise the Touareg height so the ball just slots in. (I can't stop the co-driver waving their hands and yelling instructions though).

The CR - WILL alter its height at these speed points 25, 40, 70, 100 & 140(KpH). depending on Drive Mode and Ride Height settings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
when I weighed the combination all up I am around 160kg under on rear axle load with the 305mm hitch. Am getting one made at 175 mm and will then re weigh.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts