Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded from 255/55/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers to second generation Terra Grapplers in 265/65/18. I could not be more pleased.

I had the opportunity to offroad test the new tires in Moab, and I concluded it was NOT a subtle difference - these larger tires really bring out the full offroad potential of my 2005 V8 (equipped with all offroad options).

On paper, the larger tires provide 1.6 inches in increased ride height in all modes (though in reality I measured it to be closer to 1.25 inches), but that is really a HUGE difference. The limiting factor offroad for my TReg has always been clearance, but that additional 1.25 inches is just magical, enabling the TReg to easily crawl over things I used to have to gingerly crawl over with my fingers crossed. To wit, I ran Hell's Revenge - a trail that to me was just within the limits of my TReg and driving capability before - and found it so "easy" that I turned around and immediately did it again. My Reg was so composed on Hells Revenge that I got countless kudos and gaping mouths from all the tricked out jeep owners that were out last weekend.

The larger tires make the Reg feel a lot more like a truck ready to take on anything, with minimal degradation of highway ride quality or performance (which is fairly limited with a tire of the type, to be fair).

I certainly like the look, both filling the wheel wells and the increase in ride height in each mode). It really feels like the TReg was designed for this tire size, but came equipped with smaller tires in order to hit a higher mpg standard or other goal.

Bonus - the second generation Terra Grapplers now come with a 65,000 mile warrantee. I wouldn't expect to get that many miles out of them, but look forward to a discount on the next set.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I had mine out for the first time on some rocks last weekend and was also quite impressed with how I fared. It's not a rock crawler for sure, but with the (slightly) larger tires, it can do fairly well.

The locking rear diff is nice because it allows you to crawl instead using momentum to clear an obstacle. That helps prevent you from ripping off the plastic bits underneath! LOL!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had mine out for the first time on some rocks last weekend and was also quite impressed with how I fared. It's not a rock crawler for sure, but with the (slightly) larger tires, it can do fairly well.

The locking rear diff is nice because it allows you to crawl instead using momentum to clear an obstacle. That helps prevent you from ripping off the plastic bits underneath! LOL!
I've actually found that traction is so good that I've rarely had to lock my diffs. I also don't air down my tires, preferring ride height over traction.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks great! I recently went one size down from you (265/60/18's) and I am starting to think I should've went your route with the 65's. I think I am going to go one size up when these wear out as I need the extra clearance as well...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts