Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Is that match amp going to make much difference if already using the unlocked radio coding?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The MATCH amp has a DSP so you can tailor the sound to "your" liking.

AND low pass outputs so you can add a sub and high pass the factory speakers.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01GD using Tapatalk
Wow, that's kinda cool! I'm going to look more into this unit. Appreciate the knowledge.

·
Registered
MY15, 7P6, V6 TDI with air
19 Posts
Hi all, thought this thread might be a good one to pick up on to ask some questions re options for installing a Match 62DSP.
I too am disappointed in the standard Touareg sound (7P RNS850 non-Dynaudio) and willing to spend a little to have better audio. Tried the dynaudio fix with VAG-COM but did not notice any change in quality. So now looking at after-market and looking for advice on 1. where the 62DSP would be installed (I have not removed any panels and do not know if there is room behind dash, or does it go in rh rear qtr panel), 2. would it be possible to mount in dash if I remove the dvd player (assuming it is possible to remove the dvd in glove box and reconfig to eliminate any errors). Or is this a bad idea to remove DVD (why?)
Hope someone on forum can set me straight on thoughts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
After getting great info on this exact topic over in the Vag-Com section of the forum I had the coding done and did notice a big improvement. I also noticed some things I didn't like as others have mentioned.
So I was interested in the dsp as recommended but ran into conflicting info when talking to local shops.
1st shop said dsp would do nothing and best way to improve system is complete re-do - speakers, amp , sub, etc. No thanks.
2nd shop said I'd first need an amp because my system didn't have one?? This person didn't see the car, it was over the phone.
So if I have the info correct, I do not need to add an amp, just the dsp and existing equipment to greatly improve the sound?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
After getting great info on this exact topic over in the Vag-Com section of the forum I had the coding done and did notice a big improvement. I also noticed some things I didn't like as others have mentioned.
So I was interested in the dsp as recommended but ran into conflicting info when talking to local shops.
1st shop said dsp would do nothing and best way to improve system is complete re-do - speakers, amp , sub, etc. No thanks.
2nd shop said I'd first need an amp because my system didn't have one?? This person didn't see the car, it was over the phone.
So if I have the info correct, I do not need to add an amp, just the dsp and existing equipment to greatly improve the sound?
the funny thing is I've talked to a couple stereo shops in the past about my Touareg and they've said the same exact things you've just said. The people posting in this threadsure seem to know what they are talking about and I'd be inclined to believe them especially since they've done it and have pictures and are attesting to how good it sounds. I mean does it sound like a top of the line system now? Probably not... But I'm sure it sounds excellent and considerably cheaper than atop of the line reworked system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is that match amp going to make much difference if already using the unlocked radio coding?
Yes! The Match DSP has the ability to make a much more significant difference than changing to the dynaudio profile. The amount of adjustment available is pretty spectacular.

Hi all, thought this thread might be a good one to pick up on to ask some questions re options for installing a Match 62DSP.
I too am disappointed in the standard Touareg sound (7P RNS850 non-Dynaudio) and willing to spend a little to have better audio. Tried the dynaudio fix with VAG-COM but did not notice any change in quality. So now looking at after-market and looking for advice on 1. where the 62DSP would be installed (I have not removed any panels and do not know if there is room behind dash, or does it go in rh rear qtr panel), 2. would it be possible to mount in dash if I remove the dvd player (assuming it is possible to remove the dvd in glove box and reconfig to eliminate any errors). Or is this a bad idea to remove DVD (why?)
Hope someone on forum can set me straight on thoughts.
The radio's "brains" are in the back of the car and the Match 62DSP connects there (not up front like the install video shows), so it does not make sense to install it anywhere in the dash. There is a place right next to the "brain box" where it can mount, but I just cut a bit of the foam that surrounds the spare tire, and installed the DSP unit there so I can access it to load an SD card or plug in USB for programming.

Most small shops just don't understand the Match DSP's or the factory systems in these cars. There is a factory amp, otherwise the speakers would not work! The Match 62DSP is a multi-channel DSP AND amp, and it is plug and play with the correct adapter. Out of the box, the Match DSP will only act as an amp, and requires programming for improved performance. There are some "profiles" on the Audiotec Fischer website that you can download and put on an SD card to load into the Match, but those are built on the non-dynaudio setting of the factory radio. Those profiles are not great with the radio in dynaudio mode. I chose to keep the radio in dynaudio mode and program the DSP myself, but I have lots of experience tuning systems and have the measurement tools at my disposal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey @soundguybob, thank you for the replies.

A few quick questions before i jump:

- does the Match fully replace the factory 'brain'? And will I need a PP-ISO to mount near the spare tyre?

- also, the dynaudio mode made no difference. I have made at least a dozen other VAG-COM mods successfully, but this one did not seem to stick. I have an MY15 with stock audio (non-dynaudio). Am I missing something?

·
Registered
18 Posts
@RobCli - Everything factory stays in place, the Match is effectively inserted between the factory electronics and the speakers. I didn't use anything to mount the unit, it fits snugly enough in the foam section after making a few cuts that I didn't feel it was necessary. I may put some velcro on it, just to make sure it doesn't "jump" if I happen to hit a large bump, but honestly I'm not really concerned about it.

The dynaudio change is drastic enough that you'd definitely know if it "stuck". If you look at the coding w/ VCDS, does it show that dynaudio has been activated? IIRC, there's a check box in the VCDS coding helper that'll show if it's activated or not. I think the forum post that shows the coding change is actually missing one segment, so there should be one more set of zeros than what is shown.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Below is what was given to me on this forum. I had a shop do it and it definitely "stuck" . There is a very big, noticeable difference:

RocketTech said:
Dynaudio Profile Active for Non-Dynaudio systems
Doors closed and unlocked
Using VCDS
56 Radio
Coding 07
Long Coding Helper
Original value 020007020100000001
Byte 4 (Fifth Box)
Change from 01 to 00 (zeroes)
New value 020007020000000001
Turn off Ignition, open door, close door, Ignition on may be necessary.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just went out to double check the coding, and I can confirm what @Tarpon posted for the coding. @RobCli - can you confirm the coding in your radio? I'd definitely sort the dynaudio coding first, as many people find the change makes enough of an improvement to not mess with it further.

In addition to power cycling the ignition, etc., some have found the need to force restart the RNS850 as follows:

Simultaneously press: Phone + Climate + Nav + Traffic + Knob. The radio should immediately reboot when pressing those buttons.

A few other folks have reported that it took some time (up to 24 hrs) for the coding to take effect, but those didn't specifically mention rebooting the radio after making the changes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes! The Match DSP has the ability to make a much more significant difference than changing to the dynaudio profile. The amount of adjustment available is pretty spectacular.

The radio's "brains" are in the back of the car and the Match 62DSP connects there (not up front like the install video shows), so it does not make sense to install it anywhere in the dash. There is a place right next to the "brain box" where it can mount, but I just cut a bit of the foam that surrounds the spare tire, and installed the DSP unit there so I can access it to load an SD card or plug in USB for programming.

Most small shops just don't understand the Match DSP's or the factory systems in these cars. There is a factory amp, otherwise the speakers would not work! The Match 62DSP is a multi-channel DSP AND amp, and it is plug and play with the correct adapter. Out of the box, the Match DSP will only act as an amp, and requires programming for improved performance. There are some "profiles" on the Audiotec Fischer website that you can download and put on an SD card to load into the Match, but those are built on the non-dynaudio setting of the factory radio. Those profiles are not great with the radio in dynaudio mode. I chose to keep the radio in dynaudio mode and program the DSP myself, but I have lots of experience tuning systems and have the measurement tools at my disposal.

Any suggestions on getting this done if I don't have the expertise and the local shops don't get it? I was thinking of bringing some information to a good local place and seeing if they can educate themselves on the job.

I do like the coding upgrade, but I hear definite limitations and am very interested to getting better sound.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Everything factory stays in place, the Match is effectively inserted between the factory electronics and the speakers. I didn't use anything to mount the unit, it fits snugly enough in the foam section after making a few cuts that I didn't feel it was necessary
Q: For the PP-62DSP, what length PP-ISO extender cable would you recommend to fit the unit in spare tyre well? And would you recommend the PP-ISO Pro harness?

Tried the dynaudio mod again and still no luck. My (MY2015 7P) original string looks like: 040005020100000003. I have latest VAG-COM cable and software ... there is no Ross-Tech 'coding helper' for 56-Radio.

Appreciate the assistance you're providing to all on this thread

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you're in 56 Radio, you should see a button '07 Coding'- click on that.
The Long Coding Helper is the string of boxes with two digits in each one. The left most box is Byte 0, the next to the right is Byte 1, The next to the right is Byte 2, and so on. You would count over to the 5th box (Byte 4) where it currently shows '01' and change it to '00'.
Your new coding should be 040005020000000003

I've made this same change in a '15 Gasser, so I'd be surprised if it didn't work for you.

Q: For the PP-62DSP, what length PP-ISO extender cable would you recommend to fit the unit in spare tyre well? And would you recommend the PP-ISO Pro harness?

Tried the dynaudio mod again and still no luck. My (MY2015 7P) original string looks like: 040005020100000003. I have latest VAG-COM cable and software ... there is no Ross-Tech 'coding helper' for 56-Radio.

Appreciate the assistance you're providing to all on this thread

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your new coding should be 040005020000000003
Hi, yeh tried that setting, and was able to confirm setting was correct using ODB Eleven which has Dynaudio descriptor in long code.
Also tried with DVD instead of radio and still did not hear any difference. I'll keep looking into the DSP and hope to find a cost effective improvement to audio :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
RobCli - FWIW the coding change is free and, once you can get it to work (or get someone to help you to get it to work) you'll be in a better position to know if you still want / need to go spend $$.

In a former life when I had less brains and more money I built a few competition audio systems, both in my own cars and for others and, whilst the Dynaudio coding fix will not get you competition sound or hifidelity audio like a $5k / $10k build, it will give you a sound system better befitting the car it's loaded into and you'll hear sounds in songs you haven't heard before (or forgotten they were there).

I've owned my Treg for over 4 years and only discovered the Dynaudio fix a month ago. At first I was thinking "meh, it's not without it's charm" but it hadn't kicked in, even when we did the whole open / close / lock / unlock process. It was the next morning when I got in and the radio came on that I looked at the screen with a "what-th?" expression. There was bass...and fullness...and wait - is that top hats I can hear in that track?". Yeah, switched to the SD Card and went hunting for tracks. Everything from 80's pop to Chill. Pulled the bass and treble controls waaaay back from where they were (from memory I think they're both now -1) and the more music I listened to, the bigger grin I had.

I was in traffic for 2.5 hours yesterday and didn't care. I had music that was giving me a smile on my dial and it just keeps surprising me what it'll do. Footnote - a couple of tracks from MOS: Chilled House Ibiza 2015 actually created sound pressure differences in the car and clear tones in the 30-40Hz range as well as background highs that were never there before. If I didn't know better I'd say someone snuck in and added a small sub in there somewhere.

Oz

·
Registered
19 Posts
mmmm ... locked down in Melbourne at the moment, so maybe need to have some patience and see if it kicks in on one of our rare outings. thanks for the detailed reply

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
RobCli - FWIW the coding change is free and, once you can get it to work (or get someone to help you to get it to work) you'll be in a better position to know if you still want / need to go spend $$.

In a former life when I had less brains and more money I built a few competition audio systems, both in my own cars and for others and, whilst the Dynaudio coding fix will not get you competition sound or hifidelity audio like a $5k / $10k build, it will give you a sound system better befitting the car it's loaded into and you'll hear sounds in songs you haven't heard before (or forgotten they were there).

I've owned my Treg for over 4 years and only discovered the Dynaudio fix a month ago. At first I was thinking "meh, it's not without it's charm" but it hadn't kicked in, even when we did the whole open / close / lock / unlock process. It was the next morning when I got in and the radio came on that I looked at the screen with a "what-th?" expression. There was bass...and fullness...and wait - is that top hats I can hear in that track?". Yeah, switched to the SD Card and went hunting for tracks. Everything from 80's pop to Chill. Pulled the bass and treble controls waaaay back from where they were (from memory I think they're both now -1) and the more music I listened to, the bigger grin I had.

I was in traffic for 2.5 hours yesterday and didn't care. I had music that was giving me a smile on my dial and it just keeps surprising me what it'll do. Footnote - a couple of tracks from MOS: Chilled House Ibiza 2015 actually created sound pressure differences in the car and clear tones in the 30-40Hz range as well as background highs that were never there before. If I didn't know better I'd say someone snuck in and added a small sub in there somewhere.

Oz

Well written, 100%. There are some songs that come on and the bass has my chest cavity rumbling and I can't help but wonder if there is a sub somewhere

·
Registered
2011 Touareg VR6 FSI
777 Posts
It's been a while since I coded my unit for the Dynaudio profile, but I don't remember doing anything afterwards in order for it to work. I think I shut the key off to disconnect VCDS and then turned it back on to see the difference in sound. It has been a while so maybe I'm just forgetting. I do not forget how happy I was I did it.
I always have Heavy Metal playing in my Treg. Right now stuck on FFDP.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts