Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I tried searching on this but wasn't able to find much. I think my RNS850 is lacking in "loudness". Sound quality is ok but driving with the windows down I'm not able to listen to music as loudly as I'd like. I'm not planning on keeping this vehicle for more than a couple of years so I'm not interested investing much into my audio system. I thought I read somewhere about upgrading the stock amp. I'm not much of an audiophile but can someone please help me figure out the easiest and most budget friendly way to improve my existing system?

Best,

Pete

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MATCH PP-62DSP... I have the 82DSP and couldn't be happier. I am an audiophool.
Thank you for the recommendation. Is it truly plug and play (i.e. could I install it myself?)? A little pricey at ~$500 but maybe I'm being cheap.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Plug and play and FULLY reversible. Then resell on here to someone else to get some money back. And look for a used one first, I bought mine used.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Before you spend money, you want to do the DynAudio trick via VCSD.

Hi All:

I tried searching on this but wasn't able to find much. I think my RNS850 is lacking in "loudness". Sound quality is ok but driving with the windows down I'm not able to listen to music as loudly as I'd like. I'm not planning on keeping this vehicle for more than a couple of years so I'm not interested investing much into my audio system. I thought I read somewhere about upgrading the stock amp. I'm not much of an audiophile but can someone please help me figure out the easiest and most budget friendly way to improve my existing system?

Best,

Pete

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before you spend money, you want to do the DynAudio trick via VCSD.
Thank you for this! I definitely need to try this.

·
Registered
155 Posts
"I think it's more like unleashing the full spectrum of sound from the RNS850."

It IS just defeating (turning off) the vehicle specific EQ. It is an option in the RNS-850 to pass the EQ function to the Dynaudio amp if your vehicle is so equipped. Dynaudio does their own EQ based on their "house sound".

At no point am I saying it is a bad thing. I am saying it is not a "fix", it is a setting if you have optional equipment.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It's a dramatic improvement in sound at no cost if you already have a VCDS cable. If it changes a poor performing system to a better performing system, I'd call that a fix. It's a setting whether you have Dynaudio or not.

·
Registered
494 Posts
So if we’ve bypassed the “vehicle specific EQ” as you say, It’s obvious how throttled back the EQ was. The perceived lack of loudness and clarity that is now very present with the Dyanudio sound profile activated is perhaps just a purposefully crappy Factory EQ set up to really separate it from the marketability of the Dyanudio.

Having owned Dynaudio in two previous vehicles, I actually like the sound of this “base” stereo a lot now that I’ve done this “bypass coding.” I do not miss the Dynaudio’s center speaker as I always felt it added too much upper frequency audio and would be grating at times. Going from a high quality recording to something with less fidelity really made it stick out. It was like listening to music with the audio set up of a movie theater. Too much of the audio focus seems to be on dialogue frequencies or something. Having to adjust the EQ for every song from a different album was annoying. Now it’s a little more even from album to album and I find I adjust a lot less.

I’d say it’s somewhat personal taste but I’ve been using my ears to QC high-fidelity acoustic instrument amplifiers for several years now.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Remember who the target/anticipated audience was. Think Muzak... They wanted it gentle and bland. Also rolling off the low end protects the speakers.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01GD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for the help. I'm thinking that investing in a ross-tech VCDS cable makes sense since I have a number of other adjustments I need to make to my touareg (i.e. rear reverse sensor sensitivity (I always have my bike rack on and they drive me nuts). How do I know if I have Dynaudio? I was under the impression the T3s only came with nav or no nav. I have nav.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Tweeter grills on the door would say Dynaudio.

And VCDS is a must if you own VW's.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01GD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yup, the VCDS is a good buy and a good way to get a little deeper into the VW world.
Dynaudio is labeled on the tweeters if you have it, as Troystg said. Nav on the 7Ps is the RNS850. On the Exec it also has Dynaudio, which adds a center speaker, upgraded speakers, more amps, and a sound profile- think Fender or Monsoon or Bose or whatever big name premium sound system. All the 7Ps with Nav use the RNS850 though.
This coding change works if you DO NOT have Dynaudio though. It won't be helpful if you do have Dynaudio. So if you have Nav but no Dynaudio, you're set. A little counter-intuitive, but it's a crowd pleaser ;)
Thanks guys for the help. I'm thinking that investing in a ross-tech VCDS cable makes sense since I have a number of other adjustments I need to make to my touareg (i.e. rear reverse sensor sensitivity (I always have my bike rack on and they drive me nuts). How do I know if I have Dynaudio? I was under the impression the T3s only came with nav or no nav. I have nav.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry I misread your previous post. I don't have Dynaudio! Thank you for taking the time to explain. Funny I didn't pay any attention to the sound system as I moved from my Rubicon Unlimited (with the Alpine system) into the Touareg. I just assumed the Lux would have something comparable. The Wrangler was 100x better (sound system wise).

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yeah, you would think. Without this change, the stock audio is worse than my base Passat R-line audio. No bueno at all. The sound gets much better with this change, but if you like it LOUD with the windows down, you'll probably need to change speakers and add amps, probably in that order. For a 'free' mod though, it's worth a shot. I was looking at the Match system before I tried this. Just can't justify it now. Even SiriusXM sounds good now! IKR?
Sorry I misread your previous post. I don't have Dynaudio! Thank you for taking the time to explain. Funny I didn't pay any attention to the sound system as I moved from my Rubicon Unlimited (with the Alpine system) into the Touareg. I just assumed the Lux would have something comparable. The Wrangler was 100x better (sound system wise).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Try The Dynaudio "trick" first and see if you are happy. It is way better then stock. I went the next step and still added the Match PP62 and it sounds really good now, even with the factory speakers. Easy installation and setup for the Match unit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think it's more like unleashing the full spectrum of sound from the RNS850.
I did it to mine and now have no desire to add anything else to the system sound wise.
I agree. Totally different sound. Did ours with the obd eleven tool.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts