Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a happy owner of a fully-specced Touareg from 2015. It got the 262HP diesel engine. I am considering a move to Canada in some years (been on the board for a while), but is it possible to import that, with all the diesel stuff that has been going on? I know it's scheduled for the ECU fix but this haven't been done yet. I would really like to take the car with me as it is paid out (at that time) and I'd rather drive a diesel on the dirt track. The car runs like wonders in general. I'd have to pay about 2000€ for it to get sailed across the ocean but moneywise that makes a lot more sense to me (no time pressure to sell and buy a car). Also looks like you can get various stuff on the canadian ones.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Hi all,
I'd have to pay about 2000€ for it to get sailed across the ocean but moneywise that makes a lot more sense to me (no time pressure to sell and buy a car). Also looks like you can get various stuff on the canadian ones.
You have omitted the most important information: where do you live now?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It's a car you know and if you don't have to do anything to it to get it into Canada - and the Canadians will accept it as an import - then for $2K, I'd ship it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
One minor niggle to watch out for - you are bringing into Canada a vehicle that has different default options / configuration to those sourced in Canada. VW dealers . . . hmmm . . I have no faith what so ever they will be able to handle this without stuffing something up . . independent shops should be better - more lateral thinking. As stated just a minor niggle.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Good point: for example the North American markets didn't get the Generation 2 Escape version with low ratio [nor the V8 Tdi!].

·
Registered
289 Posts
vrod1992, is it true that the Touareg is only available with diesel engines in Germany? I ask because I like playing around with online configurators and on the German website there are no engines for the Touareg other than diesels. Also in the U.S. I think there is no V8 anymore, at least according to the online configurator. The strange thing is that here in Bahrain, we can still order V8 Touareg but only on the top-specced Sport model.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Apart from the petrol/electric Hybrid that was pretty much a dead duck from the day it was launched and was finally killed off a while back, and the V8Tdi which had a pretty short life too, I think I'm correct in saying that Europe has only had the 3.0Tdi for several years albeit in several forms as the BHP rose from something like 204 BHP to 262 BHP [numbers from memory].

So which V8 can you get? Petrol or diesel?

·
Registered
143 Posts
15 Years apparently.

Importing vehicles from countries other than the United States - Transport Canada

Special circumstances allowing imports from outside the U.S.
The following circumstances allow people to import vehicles from a country other than the United States:

The vehicle is 15 years old or older, based on the month and year of its manufacture, it belongs to a regulated class of vehicle under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (the Act) and is not a bus.
The vehicle is a bus manufactured before January 1, 1971.
The vehicle is non-regulated, meaning it does not belong to a class of vehicle regulated under the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations.
The vehicle meets all Canadian standards, and was bought NEW as part of a manufacturer's foreign buyer program abroad. The importer must pre-authorize the vehicle's entry with Transport Canada.
The vehicle is a returning Canadian-specification vehicle – originally owned in Canada - and it still complies with Canadian standards. The importer can request pre-authorization from Transport Canada for the vehicle's entry.
The vehicle met all U.S. federal motor vehicle safety standards when built – was bought NEW abroad as part of a U.S. specification foreign delivery program - or is returning after having been originally purchased or owned as a U.S. specification vehicle in the U.S. The importer must pre-authorize its entry with Transport Canada to clear the border. The vehicle then has to successfully complete the Registrar of Imported Vehicles program in Canada before it can be presented for registration with the province or territory. This includes confirming the absence of any unresolved manufacturer recall(s) and inspecting it to ensure it has not been modified.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, but the V8 available on 2018 Touaregs in Bahrain is indeed the petrol V8. There are no diesels available here. I think it has to do with the high sulfur content of the diesel fuel sold in Bahrain.

I'm attaching a screenshot from the sales brouchure.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I see you still get the 100 litre fuel tank [probably because of the fuel consumption!]so do you get the full high and low ratio gearbox too?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm not sure, but this is an excerpt from the brochure:

03. Regardless of where: the transfer box with gear reduction and differential
locks is designed for off-road environments and allows your new Touareg to
optimally adapt to the driving situation. The V6 FSI 206 kW 4XMOTION
“Terrain Tech” features a rotary knob on the centre console allowing you
to select from five driving configurations: “Onroad” for sealed surfaces,
“Offroad” for unsealed surfaces, “Low” for offroad support and for
increasing the shifting points, locking the middle differential for further
optimised power distribution between the front and rear axles along with