Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I've had my v10 for about 5 years now and still very happy with it
I put a new AGM battery under the seat when I bought it I have noticed about 3 times over the last few months that the time clock sets itself to 0:00 and fuel economy readings distances are zeroed out
There are no issues with starting battery sounds strong are these the symptoms of a failing battery and which one
the one in the boot was there when I bought the car Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Change the battery in the boot.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
It sounds like it is time for a new battery.

If convenient, I would have both batteries checked with a load tester, to find out how healthy they are. If not convenient, then let the car sit at least 24 hours. Then put a volt meter across both batteries and see what the voltage is.

Be sure to get the change battery guide and follow it. There is a specific pattern to follow, else you risk doing some electrical damage.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Personally, for the small additional cost, I would change both batteries at the same time.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Nooby is right.

Since you seem to have more than 4 years on both batteries... easier and faster to replace both.

·
Learner
4,637 Posts
Get your electricals checked up first. I still have the original starter battery of my 2006 v10
The original aux battery was replaced only about 3 years ago, so not expecting to change that for another 10yrs. Did that in advance to ensure i had no probs with fridge etc on an outback trip

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
13 years starting a V10 diesel is pretty good going!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wife’s Varta battery lasted longer than the “engine” in a 2005 SLK350
12 years 120000km(balance shaft failure)

·
Registered
556 Posts
There are no issues with starting battery sounds strong
Starting is not indicative of battery health, because the starter just cranks fine well below 12.5 Volts (even around 8-9 Volts), whereas fine electronics might start dropping random fault code or even cease working completely whenever the voltage falls significantly below said threshold.

Have the batteries tested with professional equipment, and replace them if needed, or look for generator/alternator failure, parasitic draw or other electrical faults, if they seem to be fine.

Also be aware that in dual battery systems you've to follow a specific procedure when disconnecting the batteries, otherwise (if for ex. done in the wrong order) you might damage electrical equipment permanently.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
^^Gnits is telling the truth here.

The "old school" battery pile testers are the best, but the electronic ones can work ok if you understand their limitations. IE: electronic testers can sometimes fail to spot a defective battery under certain specific circumstances.

harborfreight.com/500-amp-carbon-pile-load-tester

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
nickyt
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing