Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is hard doing this on a phone.
As I said I'm up the creek.

I just bought my R5 and was driving home on the the Newcastle. Expressway when I think I blew the turbo.
I"ve got my wife and daughters in the car with me and I'm out of money.

Can anyone help or suggest something?
It's 6:30 pm 3/11/2015

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
lift off the plastic engine cover.... look for hose/pipe on the air inlet side to inlet manifold.. ensure it has not come a drift.. even slightly

also at the air filter ensure box is correctly sealed

ensure hose/pipe to air mass flow is secure

all these can or will cause issues/smoke etc as AF ratio goes out the window...

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
well done Matt .... big pat on the back there

No help from me unfortunately .... wrong vehicle .... Heart bleeds Flash hope family are ok

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lift off the plastic engine cover.... look for hose/pipe on the air inlet side to inlet manifold.. ensure it has not come a drift.. even slightly

also at the air filter ensure box is correctly sealed

ensure hose/pipe to air mass flow is secure

all these can or will cause issues/smoke etc as AF ratio goes out the window...
Thanks Matt.

Apparently the the insurance has roadside assist, the guy said the engine seized.
Looks like a hydro lock from a bad head gasket.

Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Thanks Matt.

Apparently the the insurance has roadside assist, the guy said the engine seized.
Looks like a hydro lock from a bad head gasket.

Thanks for your help guys.
probably not... i think these engines unusually do not have head gaskets!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Can you get your money back or did you buy privately?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
probably not... i think these engines unusually do not have head gaskets!
Hmmm.

The roadside assist guy said it looked like diesel in the oil from blowby and probably oil in the radiator cap.

The radiator cap pressure valve was broken so as not to hold pressure, that's a trick so you can drive a car with a laeky head gasket a short distance. Not from Sydney to Brisbane though.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hmmm.

The roadside assist guy said it looked like diesel in the oil from blowby and probably oil in the radiator cap.

The radiator cap pressure valve was broken so as not to hold pressure, that's a trick so you can drive a car with a laeky head gasket a short distance. Not from Sydney to Brisbane though.
i imagine they will do a leak down test to see exactly what the issue is

but you have not described any of the symptoms prior to stopping?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you get your money back or did you buy privately?
I only just got back home so I have to look into it.

I bought it from Gray's Online who are a licenced motor dealer which I think means they have to at ensure the item is fit for purpose, which this obviously isn't.

The ad didn't say there was anything wrong with it and they usually do list the faults if they are known.
They say there's no warranty or cooling off period.

We'll have to see.

Just in case I'm stuck with it, can anyone recommend a place that could supply and fit a replacement engine?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I only just got back home so I have to look into it.

I bought it from Gray's Online who are a licenced motor dealer which I think means they have to at ensure the item is fit for purpose, which this obviously isn't.

The ad didn't say there was anything wrong with it and they usually do list the faults if they are known.
They say there's no warranty or cooling off period.

We'll have to see.

Just in case I'm stuck with it, can anyone recommend a place that could supply and fit a replacement engine?
another engine bought in australia would likely cost more than the car did via vw channels...

if they are a LMD then you have rights.. the auction thing may be an issue. best you ring fair trading asap.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i imagine they will do a leak down test to see exactly what the issue is

but you have not described any of the symptoms prior to stopping?
The only symptoms I noticed were that it blew a bit of smoke which I thought was a turbo seal.

I was driving at 110kmh when it lost power and made a noise that sounded sort of like an exhaust brake and there was a huge cloud of whitish smoke or steam coming out of the exhaust. Hard to tell, it was getting dark and it was raining pretty hard.

I tried to restart it and big clouds of smoke/steam came out of the exhaust.
I couldn't hear if the engine was spinning on the starter because of the highway noise and rain.

Then it wouldn't turn over, I thought because the battery was flat. It was flat when I picked it up and i don't know if it was taking a charge.

When the roadside assist guy put his battery on it to jump it it wouldn't turn over and he declared it to be seized.

When I turned the ignition on to unlock the steering so it could go up on the tow truck the display said something about water level. That wasn't there when I was driving it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
another engine bought in australia would likely cost more than the car did via vw channels...
These engines don't show up in wrecker's? There are other cars that use the R5 too aren't there? Are any of them suitable?

if they are a LMD then you have rights.. the auction thing may be an issue. best you ring fair trading asap.
Yep, Fair Trading tomorrow. I'll start on the letter tonight. I just got home.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
ouch, its toast

not many R5's out there, most of the vans were lower power versions of this engine.

call fair trading for your next move.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,020 Posts
sorry to hear Flash.

Keep a level head in regard to your letter. Maintain a focus that allows the other party to rectify the situation while maintaining dignity.

Also, if you have the chance, keep the forum posted with your developments (bear in mind, this is a public forum - so you may want to choose what you declare, and when you declare it, with caution). There is a wealth of knowledge here, so don't be afraid to ask.

Apologies that your foray into this great vehicle, has stumbled at such an earlier moment. Hang in there.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good advice Steve.
I do know how to write a letter that states facts without becoming emotionally involved.
I have lots of experience writing reports.

Their initial response was you bought it, you own it.
Actually, their only advice was to relist it with them and let some other poor sucker buy it.

Makes me wonder if that has been done before?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Whilst I sympathise... Gray's do state vehicles are sold "as is" without warranty or cooling off period. Inspection is highly recommended. The only guarantee is that of clear title. "If used - vehicles have not been tested to ensure they function to manufacturers specifications." I think you have buckleys of any kind of redress - buyer beware.
Dub

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Whilst I sympathise... Gray's do state vehicles are sold "as is" without warranty or cooling off period. Inspection is highly recommended. The only guarantee is that of clear title. "If used - vehicles have not been tested to ensure they function to manufacturers specifications." I think you have buckleys of any kind of redress - buyer beware.
Dub
I think you're right but I'm going to try.

If I have to fix this engine I really hope the crank is ok.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I think you're right but I'm going to try.

If I have to fix this engine I really hope the crank is ok.
its the block that will be the issue as they have no liners.. cannot machine etc.

another engine is your best bet or sell as is with ruined motor and move on.

check in NZ for a 'japanese import' motor at the wreckers over there, or use a NZ company to source a 'japanese import' motor and then bring to aus.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts