Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time has come to say goodbye to the Treg. I love it but with the throttle body going wonky again and 2 months left before the warranty is up I cannot justify keeping it in the business.

I've been tossing up between RR sport and LC200 Sahara only because I need something that is not only big and comfortable and can tow but something that can also go off-road. There are sacrifices / compromises with both. It has also been interesting reading Bails' thread.

I will let you know how I go but just wanted to say thanks for making a really good forum and a resource for all owners of these "interesting" vehicles as well as for making me feel welcome. I hope I contributed in some way.

P.S: look after Nooby, he's a national treasure and one that we may even claim as our own.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,167 Posts
ah bugger.

Repairs not viable then? Keep us posted with what you get and why? Mate of mine has joined because he is going thru the Disco, RRS and R-Line choice. At the moment, the Touareg is coming last due to insufficient boot space (only half of the RRS).

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah bugger. Repairs not viable then? Keep us posted with what you get and why? Mate of mine has joined because he is going thru the Disco, RRS and R-Line choice. At the moment, the Touareg is coming last due to insufficient boot space (only half of the RRS).
Hi Steve, the repairs are viable ..... at the moment as it's still under warranty. Last time I had this issue VW fixed it no dramas and didn't even talk cost but I asked the dealership what it would have been worth of I had to pay for it and they told me circa $7.5k. I'll get it fixed again under warranty but when the new car warranty runs out in a couple of months I don't want the business to be left holding the baby. I don't think VW will be so accommodating once it's out of warranty therefore it's time for it to go.

You're right about the boot space. It's not something that I rated highly but I have noticed when going away, such as the last weekend (Easter), that once you throw 2 kids' worth of stuff in there isn't much room left for the 6 pack.

RRS wins it for me due to road handling but loses it in build quality and resale. Also, we only have one dealership to choose from in WA as both of them are owned by Alf B.

Toyota wins it for me on size, quality and reliability and has that awesome twin turbo V8 diesel but loses it for me in on road manners.

Oh, and I do think the RRS is one of the sexiest looking cars out there though the new cruiser does look better with the 2016 update.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't want our queen but you want NoobyT - he'll think he's some sort of god down under.
That's not true. An overwhelming majority (51%) voted in favour of keeping the monarchy at the last referendum. To show our commitment we even knighted old Phil. Good O.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Sorry to read you are thinking of moving away, seems you like the Touareg but are afraid of ownership without warranty.

Have you thought of buying a VW-Allianz 24 month extended warranty which would give you a continuation of the factory bumper to bumper warranty?

Doing so you crystalise your repair costs up front for the next 2 years and can budget your motor vehicle expenses more accurately from a business perspective, you would loose much more than the cost of the extended warranty premium in depreciation as soon as you drive your new vehicle out of the dealer.

TonyB

Reactions: Copwahn

·
Registered
344 Posts
G'day
In Queensland, 40% can be a majority...don't you miss Joh?

·
Registered
456 Posts
50% plus 1 is a majority.
don't you miss Joh?
From 1910 to 1949, Queensland had a "one person, one vote, one value" electoral system, with a maximum variation of 30% from the Statewide average quota. But in 1949 the Australian Labor Party conducted a revision which varied the number of voters in each electorate according to their size and distance from Brisbane, the state capital in the far south-east of the huge state. Although difficulties in transport and communication were given as the reasons to reduce the size of remote and thinly-populated electorates, the effect was to give a huge advantage to the Labor Party, which at that time drew its voting strength from rural areas, a consequence of the party's formation in the outback Queensland town of Barcaldine half a century earlier.
Joh just perfected its use.

·
Registered
206 Posts
All good things come to an end...

If you go for the LC200 (or whatever vehicle for that matter), would be interested to hear some initial impressions and comparison against the Touareg.

"Oh wait, there's no comparison against the Touareg..." ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
You don't want our queen but you want NoobyT - he'll think he's some sort of god down under.
;) He is.

Shame you are thinking of leaving the VW stable. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Steve, the repairs are viable ..... at the moment as it's still under warranty. Last time I had this issue VW fixed it no dramas and didn't even talk cost but I asked the dealership what it would have been worth of I had to pay for it and they told me circa $7.5k. I'll get it fixed again under warranty but when the new car warranty runs out in a couple of months I don't want the business to be left holding the baby. I don't think VW will be so accommodating once it's out of warranty therefore it's time for it to go.

You're right about the boot space. It's not something that I rated highly but I have noticed when going away, such as the last weekend (Easter), that once you throw 2 kids' worth of stuff in there isn't much room left for the 6 pack.

RRS wins it for me due to road handling but loses it in build quality and resale. Also, we only have one dealership to choose from in WA as both of them are owned by Alf B.

Toyota wins it for me on size, quality and reliability and has that awesome twin turbo V8 diesel but loses it for me in on road manners.

Oh, and I do think the RRS is one of the sexiest looking cars out there though the new cruiser does look better with the 2016 update.
Your comparisons of the 3 options are much the same as mine when I went through the same exercise last year.

Having 2 neighbours with the LC 200 they are very very heavy on fuel with average road manners as you have identified, but they are good if heavy towing is a high requirement and you need the space.
If you go down this path consider getting the GVM upgraded prior to registration.

In the end we wanted a more driveable car for the 9 months of the year a caravan won't be attached so went R-Line

Good luck with your choice

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,167 Posts
FWIW...mate of mine in Sydney tows the EXACT same van as ours, with comparable weights with a Tojo LC TTV8

On a GOOD day...he can almost crack 20l/100km....most times it's 25+ litres

On a good day, my 3.0lt TDI V6 gets low 14's...and a bad (strong head wind, sleet etc)...might nudge 19lt/100km.

I rest my case for the Touareg V6. ;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FWIW...mate of mine in Sydney tows the EXACT same van as ours, with comparable weights with a Tojo LC TTV8 On a GOOD day...he can almost crack 20l/100km....most times it's 25+ litres On a good day, my 3.0lt TDI V6 gets low 14's...and a bad (strong head wind, sleet etc)...might nudge 19lt/100km. I rest my case for the Touareg V6. ;)
Thanks Steve. Understood about fuel usage but I have more confidence with the LC200 staying on the road which is critical. No point only using 7.0l per 100 if you don't have the confidence that you will get there or have the manufacturers support.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your comparisons of the 3 options are much the same as mine when I went through the same exercise last year. Having 2 neighbours with the LC 200 they are very very heavy on fuel with average road manners as you have identified, but they are good if heavy towing is a high requirement and you need the space. If you go down this path consider getting the GVM upgraded prior to registration. In the end we wanted a more driveable car for the 9 months of the year a caravan won't be attached so went R-Line Good luck with your choice
Thanks mate. You're right about fuel usage and if I was only doing towing then I too would I the R line. I do a lot of bush work and beach work too and when not towing I am loading it to the gunnels and going camping and currently don't have enough room even with roof pods etc. FYI some of the places I go you can't take a trailer or you would be making life tough for yourself if you did.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All good things come to an end... If you go for the LC200 (or whatever vehicle for that matter), would be interested to hear some initial impressions and comparison against the Touareg. "Oh wait, there's no comparison against the Touareg..." ;)
I'll be sure to let you know.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,167 Posts
Thanks Steve. Understood about fuel usage but I have more confidence with the LC200 staying on the road which is critical. No point only using 7.0l per 100 if you don't have the confidence that you will get there or have the manufacturers support.
Understood. Guess I am still trying to get over the fact that you need shares in Woodside/Dutch Shell Petroleum if you're going down the LC track.

Such a pity that you have to compromise with every available vehicle....and there isn't one available (within budget) that ticks all the boxes.:)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Understood. Guess I am still trying to get over the fact that you need shares in Woodside/Dutch Shell Petroleum if you're going down the LC track. Such a pity that you have to compromise with every available vehicle....and there isn't one available (within budget) that ticks all the boxes.:)
I know right. Why can't we have land cruiser size with Touareg comfort and handling with RRS appeal with Toyota warranty and resale with Mercedes / Lexus service with Hyundai warranty with Touareg ingenious features (like air recirc in reverse or auto rear wiper in reverse if wipers activated) and all this with Touareg scarcity and pricing.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you thought of buying a VW-Allianz 24 month extended warranty which would give you a continuation of the factory bumper to bumper warranty? TonyB
G'day Tony. I did mate but my issue is the inconvenience factor of getting work done. What if I'm away? What if I've got an important meeting?

My problem is I just don't trust it anymore.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts