Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\:D/

I used to own a BMW X5 4.4i with a lot of extra's and paid close to 64 K for it. Don't get me wrong it was a great car but when I went to look at the Touareg V8 model, it had more gtizmo's (I admit, I'm a sucker for that) and it looked good to me. It does not have the styling of a BMW but I have driven this car now for 3 months put 7000 miles on it and had only very minor problems that the dealer took care of. He gave me a few new ones namely that the sensor determining whether to use DRL or full lights is confused going to night time settings when it is nice and sunny outside.

I thought the MFI and the Tire Pressure Monitor were off by saying that my tire was flat forcing me to stop on a busy highway to check it. I saw no flat tire and as long as the flat tire message was flashing the MFI will not do anything else. So I was upset and took it to the dealer. Well, guess what the MFI and Tire Pressure Monitoring system were working fine. I had a nail in my tire and I could not see the tire deflate but it was and the car picked it up!

In the end I'm driving this car just like my X5, it handles very close to it and the only major differences are the VW vs. BMW logo ,the fact it is a little more thirsty and that I have to pay for maintenance.

But guess what, I bought mine end of the model year event and got a V8 with teak interior, Nav system for 6000 $ below list saving more than 20 K over an X5. Nothing beats that!

I feel bad about the people that got a lemon but mine is fine and I love it!
=;

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
FYI, on your DRL to night setting statement. An important piece of information that I learned after coming onto this and one other site was.... if you travel over 87mph for a couple of minutes on the highway, your TOUAREG will turn on FULL lights in the daytime.

So, it may not be a sensor issue if you notice the lights turning on in this manner.

Now, if they turn on and all you are doing is sitting in a parking lot - that's another issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:dance:

Thanks, I have to admit that I have recently been driving around those speeds. I'll keep my eye on it from now on.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Happy with Touareg...

Clark Addison said:
It's good to read a happy message. Way too much whining on this board.

I've driven my Treg 1600 happy miles, looking forward to many more.
I totally agree, I own a 2004 V10 with 2200 miles and just drove from VA to CO in luxury. I have a minor speaker problem but would live with the car this way even if this was not fixed until the next service or two. I worked for a Mercedes, Audi, Land Rover, and Porsche dealer for over 10 years and every manufacturer has problems! The service to correct them is important and I encourage any of you who have persistent problems to find a dealer who does care - they are out there. Also, try not to get so upset over small issues, if you have major problems use the channels you do have to resolve - Call VW Customer Care, speak to you dealer's Service Mangler...

If you still are not happy then sell or trade for a vehicle you will be happy with...some people only want reliability and don't care about many of the features and functions of vehicles such as the Touareg and Cayenne. Others confuse reliability with minor problems and go off that their vehicle is not reliable but don't have any significant problems other than annoyance problems...Those that know the capability and need or want it will find that there are few other mid-sized SUV's that can do what these vehicles can. If you want a MDX then by all means purchase one, I would never shop for one myself and would never want one...but if Japanese engineering is what you want with reliability then go for it...same for those who own or will purchase a Lexus RX...these vehicles are great but certainly are not a substitute for the Touareg and Cayenne enthusiasts.

There will be issues with the Touaregs and Cayennes for a bit while VW and Porsche refine the new product. Hopefully for those of us who own them will have enough warranty left over to take advantage of the resolutions. If you have serious engine or drivetrain issues then you should pursue and demand VW's corrective actions.

One thing I have learned is that these forums attract enthusiasts as well as those who want an avenue to vent frustrations or both. Remember there are many, many happy Touareg and Cayenne owners. Sometimes reading complaints in one location gives the impression that these vehicles are all lemons. Growing pains yes but fine vehicles for the most part and you'll not find a more rounded and capable German SUV out there. The Japanese do have competitive models but I personally have no desire to drive one and be like the rest of the population...those of you who do that's great!

I like these kinds of forums so we can share information and help each other resolve common problems. These forums also help the manufacturer focus on resolutions but remember if you have 20,000 units of inventory it will take some time to get newer units to dealers and TSB's to repair. Not to mention you have to engineer a better replacement part and have a 3rd party in many instances manufacture it. It is hard to be patient when you've just spent $35K-$70K on a luxury vehicle I know but it does take time to resolve and even get recognition for a problem from the dealer and manufacturer. Sort of like if you have a bad speaker, VW replaces it and it goes bad again you think they are idiots and have poor quality control; the reality is that they don't (or didn't) have a true repair yet because they had yet to engineer or manufacture a redesigned speaker unit. The other approach would be for the dealer to tell you you'll have to live with the blow speaker for an undetermined length of time until they produce the replacement without the defect... I would rather have the replacement and take my chances it will work for a few weeks longer until they do get a better designed or defect free unit. Anyway, it is all how you look at it and how you treat life in general, some get upset and bothered by everything no matter how little others will create a list of annoyances and bring them in when the vehicle is due for service. Obviously, if you have major faults you must service your vehicle ASAP.

I always ground myself when I seem to be getting upset over material things when I see my wife come home after spending a day at work at NIH (NCI) treating cancer patients. When I realize the true importance of life I am happy to deal with the relatively minor inconveniences with vehicles and other things. I'm not saying everyone should see it my way but just want to share another perspective.

Vehicles I've owned and can compare with are Mercedes ML430, Mercedes ML55, and Range Rover HSE. The HSE is nice but lacks power, the Mercedes were cheap inside and very common, the ML55 engine was awesome but not as nice of a package as the Touareg in my opinion.

Thanks for listening and enjoy your Touaregs! :wave:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I totally agree, I own a 2004 V10 with 2200 miles and just drove from VA to CO in luxury. I have a minor speaker problem but would live with the car this way even if this was not fixed until the next service or two. I worked for a Mercedes, Audi, Land Rover, and Porsche dealer for over 10 years and every manufacturer has problems! The service to correct them is important and I encourage any of you who have persistent problems to find a dealer who does care - they are out there. Also, try not to get so upset over small issues, if you have major problems use the channels you do have to resolve - Call VW Customer Care, speak to you dealer's Service Mangler...

If you still are not happy then sell or trade for a vehicle you will be happy with...some people only want reliability and don't care about many of the features and functions of vehicles such as the Touareg and Cayenne. Others confuse reliability with minor problems and go off that their vehicle is not reliable but don't have any significant problems other than annoyance problems...Those that know the capability and need or want it will find that there are few other mid-sized SUV's that can do what these vehicles can. If you want a MDX then by all means purchase one, I would never shop for one myself and would never want one...but if Japanese engineering is what you want with reliability then go for it...same for those who own or will purchase a Lexus RX...these vehicles are great but certainly are not a substitute for the Touareg and Cayenne enthusiasts.

There will be issues with the Touaregs and Cayennes for a bit while VW and Porsche refine the new product. Hopefully for those of us who own them will have enough warranty left over to take advantage of the resolutions. If you have serious engine or drivetrain issues then you should pursue and demand VW's corrective actions.

One thing I have learned is that these forums attract enthusiasts as well as those who want an avenue to vent frustrations or both. Remember there are many, many happy Touareg and Cayenne owners. Sometimes reading complaints in one location gives the impression that these vehicles are all lemons. Growing pains yes but fine vehicles for the most part and you'll not find a more rounded and capable German SUV out there. The Japanese do have competitive models but I personally have no desire to drive one and be like the rest of the population...those of you who do that's great!

I like these kinds of forums so we can share information and help each other resolve common problems. These forums also help the manufacturer focus on resolutions but remember if you have 20,000 units of inventory it will take some time to get newer units to dealers and TSB's to repair. Not to mention you have to engineer a better replacement part and have a 3rd party in many instances manufacture it. It is hard to be patient when you've just spent $35K-$70K on a luxury vehicle I know but it does take time to resolve and even get recognition for a problem from the dealer and manufacturer. Sort of like if you have a bad speaker, VW replaces it and it goes bad again you think they are idiots and have poor quality control; the reality is that they don't (or didn't) have a true repair yet because they had yet to engineer or manufacture a redesigned speaker unit. The other approach would be for the dealer to tell you you'll have to live with the blow speaker for an undetermined length of time until they produce the replacement without the defect... I would rather have the replacement and take my chances it will work for a few weeks longer until they do get a better designed or defect free unit. Anyway, it is all how you look at it and how you treat life in general, some get upset and bothered by everything no matter how little others will create a list of annoyances and bring them in when the vehicle is due for service. Obviously, if you have major faults you must service your vehicle ASAP.

I always ground myself when I seem to be getting upset over material things when I see my wife come home after spending a day at work at NIH (NCI) treating cancer patients. When I realize the true importance of life I am happy to deal with the relatively minor inconveniences with vehicles and other things. I'm not saying everyone should see it my way but just want to share another perspective.

Vehicles I've owned and can compare with are Mercedes ML430, Mercedes ML55, and Range Rover HSE. The HSE is nice but lacks power, the Mercedes were cheap inside and very common, the ML55 engine was awesome but not as nice of a package as the Touareg in my opinion.
Word. Well-put, and accurate.

I know some of our Treg posters would be better off in another, more appliance-like car. The rest of us appreciate the engineering in these vehicles and are willing to pay the usual early-adopter pain-related costs.

Mine is really pretty trouble-free. I've been to service for a bad glow-plug, had TSBs applied, etc, but overall, I'm very happy with the Treg. With 5000 miles now, it is about as reliable as I had expected. The only real complaint is the amount of supervision I have to give to my local dealer when the truck is in for service.

-Will

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.