Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally replacing my 2006 Treg V8 18" OEM tires, and could use some suggestions

The second tire of my original Conti set just went out on me, and I figure it's time to change them out (even though they still have decent tread left on them).

So what is the current consensus on a good replacement 'summer' tire? I don't need tires for 'winter' conditions, as it doesn't snow all that much in SoCal. Besides, I have my 17" BFG set for the hard stuff.

I was looking at the GT Grabber UHP 18s—since some people on other threads recommended them—but I have read some online reviews that said they have bad wear and sound issues.

So if any of you Treggers out there (old and new) have any recommendations, please post them.

Thank you in advance.

tMH

PS: BTW, what is the going price of tire sensors? ;-)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Hey Gary,
Good to hear you are still Tregging. I'll always remember your snowbank and triangulated snatch straps above Ouray!
We still swear by Nokians, now on G2's, anxious to try G3's. This is just a great all-weather choice.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Gary,
Good to hear you are still Tregging. I'll always remember your snowbank and triangulated snatch straps above Ouray!
We still swear by Nokians, now on G2's, anxious to try G3's. This is just a great all-weather choice.
Yeah, yeah... everyone remembers my gulch :wink2:

Tried looking up Nokians G3 in my area (SoCal), no dice. I don't know, maybe I'll just the GTs or throw another set of Contis on. I dont know much longer I'll be keeping the Treg, as I haven't been off-roading since '10 Rally. :frown2: However, my wife wants me to keep it till it falls apart. :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
Summer tires, what are these you speak of? :) I concur with Laurence, if you can find them get some Nokians. Do you have Tire Factory stores out there at all? If so they should carry them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use tiresbyweb.com
I used them for my Golf R Nokian (Hakka). I was going to do Nokians for our new 18" wheels, but smoking deal on a set of Dunlop all seasons kept me from it. When these wear out, I'll do the Nokian All Seasons for it and definitely use tirebyweb.

j

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'll stick with Contis. Tirebyweb is a bit pricey (plus, not to mention finding a place to mount and balance them) for what I need.

But, I thank you guys for your input (Well, maybe not Keith!) :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts