Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an oil change kit from IDParts that came with an oil drain bolt/sealing washer. This is the second kit I've gotten from them and this one came with the bolt/washer. Here is a pic of the bolt/washer in this link, it is the one pictured all the way on the left: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1CAACAO_enUS655US655&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=id parts touareg drain bolt

After I had spun the bolt on, all it did was leak. I took it off and put the old bolt with a fiber washer and no leaking.

I call the IDParts help line. Guy asks, "Has the oil been changed before, I tell him this will be the 4th oil change, the first three by a dealer and the past two by me. He tells me that the previous drain bolt has most likely been overtorqued, thus stretching the threads in the pan and hence, the leak. But when I put the old bolt in with the fiber washer, no leak. He then tells me that it is a .99 cent Factory VW part and that they include it at no charge.

I'll buy their oil change kits and filter kits as they have great prices and a $9.95 flat rate shipping, no minimum and they are here in MA so I get stuff fast, but I will definitely NOT use the sealing bolt and washer as it is a POS.

I was lucky that I was able to take the bolt out and quickly get the old bolt back in and didn't lose but 3-4 oz of oil at the most in the switch.

·
Registered
152 Posts
They have been including that plug & washer with oil change kits I've purchased from them for at least ten years. It has been used for older TDIs for a long time ( don't know about recent ones) but it is definitely not correct for the Treg, as their own parts info shows. Nothing wrong with the plug, just not correct for our vehicles. We have the female hex head with crush washer, and even those can be tricky.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plug blows chow. I feel for whoever tries to use it on the T3 TDI and watches as it leaks.

I'll be sure to drop the $3.50 or the $3.99 for the OEM plug and washer next change. Thankfully it is not for another 10,000 miles and a year the way I'm going-nice only having a 10-16 mile roundtrip commute every day.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've never had one of those leak when used for our other TDIs in over 10 years. But you're right about not using it for the 3.0TDI. The plug is just not correct for a Treg, & it shouldn't be shipped with its kit. I've bought the same kit, kept the plug for my other cars and bought the correct plug & washer from the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts