Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just got my first Tourareg (2005 - 2nd hand) so far so good it's a 2.5tdi manual and I'm really enjoying it but need some help on tyre pressure.

My tyres are 275/45/20's and I have the front pressure at 39psi and the rear tyres at 44psi as I believe this is supposed to be the correct pressure.

When I got the car the ride felt good but when I checked the pressures they were 33psi all round!

The ride now seems very hard at the 'correct' pressure. I was wondering if any of you had the same size of wheels and what tyre pressure would you recommend as I think they are a bit too hard the way they are - maybe I'm wrong though.

Any help for a new touareg owner is much appreciated!

The car came with 4 new tryes so I want to try and make them last as long as they can. BTW how long do tyres generally last on them?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
VW do hundreds of thousands of miles tyre testing - use their pressures. Anything else and you are running partially deflated tyres - not good for handling not good for wear and certainly not good if you are in a serious accident and the police inspect your vehicle.

One of the problems with low profile tyres is comfort - there's not much rubber and air between you and the road and that's why some of us prefer the original 17 inch wheels.

As for tyre wear, first it depends on the make of the tyre - some last less than 10K whilst others will do 50K - and then where you drive and how you drive so it's not really an exact science!

·
Official CT Ricer!
1,453 Posts
The 20 inch wheels you have, do you know if they are the standard VW wheels for your model? If not, you probably have too big a wheel requiring you to run small side profile tires, which tend to be "hard" by nature in ride quality. The correct tire pressure in such a case is as good as anybody's guess.

FYI, I run 275 35 on my track car, a 275 45 is only going to have an additional 1.375 cm of sidewall compared to that.Get correct wheels and tires and run the specified pressure and you should be good to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts