Club Touareg Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Good to see they gave you a full tank - I got half! Really no point in skimping on the details, which is what leaves you with a great impression!

Also, fairly sure we don't have auto dipping / high beam headlights after all, please let me know if yours is otherwise!

Love the V8 though, is a great engine.

· Registered
205 Posts
Hi Nick,
BUGGER!!!
Tough luck writing off the Touareg. From the photos there doesn't seem enough damage to write it off.
Glad you are okay and trust your insurance company looks after you well.
Cheers.

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Good to see they gave you a full tank - I got half! Really no point in skimping on the details, which is what leaves you with a great impression!

Also, fairly sure we don't have auto dipping / high beam headlights after all, please let me know if yours is otherwise!

Love the V8 though, is a great engine.
Explain this auto dipping feature that you are missing.

With the light switch in "Auto", upon startup, in low light, my car's headlights do a kind of funky light show, where they go through some sort of self test routine, moving around until they end up at the correct height?

I also notice that they automatically adjust the level so as to never shine into the car in front's rear windscreen, not going any higher than level of the rear tail lights of the car in front.

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Hi Nick,
BUGGER!!!
Tough luck writing off the Touareg. From the photos there doesn't seem enough damage to write it off.
Glad you are okay and trust your insurance company looks after you well.
Cheers.
Yes, bad luck comes for a reason. As you may remember I had lots of problems with my MY15, wheel alignment issues, lot of faults regularly being thrown etc.

So far, my brand new MY16 has ticked all the boxes, without the issues that the old one had.

I am thinking of the whole experience as a reset in my Touareg ownership.
-----

Car was written off as the area of the impact bent the frame, meaning that the engine, and entire drive train needed to be taken out to fix. Also, as it has ACC and all the other tech gear, apparently, when you have a major front impact, with air bags going off, they need to replace all those parts, including radars etc...

I also, believe that they were going to get a reasonable amount for the rest of the car, as parts etc at auction.

It all added up in my favour, as I don't think they were comfortable repairing the car, and offering a life time guarantee on repairs, and having ongoing future problems, that would cost them lots in the future. It was easier for them to cut their losses and write the car off, I guess.

----
I was and still am with RACV Complete Car Insurance. It is their premium insurance product, but a car like the Touareg requires a premium insurance, so happy paying more than the cheaper insurances. They provided car rental for the entire month that I was without a car, and the after accident service was fantastic. Could not fault them.

· Registered
2015 R Line V8
3,023 Posts
the thrill of a cheap(er) premium is soon lost when the claims experience doesn't meet the expectation sold to you in the quote/policy process.

Good stuff.

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
the thrill of a cheap(er) premium is soon lost when the claims experience doesn't meet the expectation sold to you in the quote/policy process.

Good stuff.
Couldn't agree more. We all have premium vehicles that are ultra expensive to repair.
We should never cut corners on insurance, unless you are planning on never claiming.

· Registered
295 Posts
Couldn't agree more. We all have premium vehicles that are ultra expensive to repair.
We should never cut corners on insurance, unless you are planning on never claiming.
If you plan on never claiming then you don't need the insurance.

Insurance is like placing a bet on a horse and hoping that he never come near winning.

· Registered
132 Posts
Explain this auto dipping feature that you are missing.

With the light switch in "Auto", upon startup, in low light, my car's headlights do a kind of funky light show, where they go through some sort of self test routine, moving around until they end up at the correct height?

I also notice that they automatically adjust the level so as to never shine into the car in front's rear windscreen, not going any higher than level of the rear tail lights of the car in front.
You have normal self-levelling headlights that adjust to the attitude of the car. What he's talking about is the car being able to switch high-beams on and off at night when it sees oncoming traffic.

· Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,480 Posts
Hi NM, Is the recall for circlip taken care of with your my16

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Hi NM, Is the recall for circlip taken care of with your my16
Yes, but I had to ask for the recall to be performed during the pre-delivery process.

Interestingly, I received a letter from VW a few days ago asking me to book in the old written off MY15 to get the recall performed.:surprise:

· Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,480 Posts
Yes, but I had to ask for the recall to be performed during the pre-delivery process. Interestingly, I received a letter from VW a few days ago asking me to book in the old written off MY15 to get the recall performed.:surprise:
I got the letter too, will book it in, time for first service anyway, will be a year later this month since I drove out the showroom!

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I got the letter too, will book it in, time for first service anyway, will be a year later this month since I drove out the showroom!
I had the old MY15 serviced 4days prior to writing it off.>:)

Did the CPS and a wheel alighment. Around the mid $700 from memory all up.

· Registered
20 Posts
Feeling nm2003's pain! New Rline unfortunately had an unpleasant meeting with a truck (was turning right, then changed his mind and went left so crunched me in the process).

Anyway - no structural damage, (but all the drivers side and rear panels etc.) but >$60k repairs and the sill cover plate needs to be replaced which has the compliance plate which can't be replaced so the RACV assessor has put in for a write off. So far, RACV has been good also, hopefully will have confirmation today / Mon otherwise a fight will ensue with RACV but looking promising so far and no complaints so far with RACV.

So now back to the rline Treg versus Q7 debate for the replacement. Not willing to spend more than the RLine and as a tow vehicle for horses its been great given the V8 torque and air suspension - very stable which is important when pulling horses! Love the Q7 which is that bit more modern overall, but would likely have to forgo the air suspension which leads me to think it would be inferior as a tow vehicle (torque with Q7 would be more than sufficient in reality). A little torn and new for old Treg would certainly be less hassle. Overall dynamics and interior, plus tech more modern on the Q7 and I would bet resale would be better in the longer terms as its seen to be more 'desirable', although thats not really a factor for me, more that its the best for our needs, which is heavily skewed to towing.

Thoughts (I know Treg owners are likely to be a little biased! :) )....?

Cheers,

Alex.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.