Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, I was involved in a accident that ended up causing enough damage to write off my 2015 Touareg V8 R-Line.

Even though I was not going that fast (around 30kmh), the angle of the impact to the the back of the flat bed truck (that I ran into the back off), was such that it caused structural damage, causing the end repair bill to be such that it was not worth fixing.

Was a bit of a shock as all the air bags (front two, knee and two side curtain) were all deployed, which probably contributed to the decision to write the car off.

NOTE: Apparently, as I was in the process of braking and was turning the steering wheel, all the warning systems were disabled.

I had a dashcam mounted at the time which confirmed no warning alarms were heard.

The car does not look that bad (other than the front damage). It will be taken to the auction to be sold as a write off. The mentioned that they will get mid $40k for it.

The vehicle replacement department of my insurance company are in the process of going out to tender to find me a brand new replacement V8 R-Line with sunroof.

Am I the first to write off a T4 V8 R-Line?

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear and glad no one was hurt. I hope the replacement goes smoothly.
I had bruising on my right wrist coutesy of the air bag deployment, but luckily no broken bones. Also had some bruising in my upper back, but now all good.

Hoping to get the replacement from the local dealer, as they have stock, but the insurance company goes out to tender and will pick the cheapest submitted quote. I mentioned I would prefer a car with a 2016 compliance date, as don't want a car that has been sitting idle for several months in a dealer's holding area.

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Acording to VW, the included pre-collision warning systems (driver assists) even though enabled, do not trigger if the driver moves the steering wheel, as the system thinks you are in control.
As I was slightly turning the wheel to the left, the system thought I was making corrective action, thus did not throw any audible warnings, as would normally occur if you are going straight.

Insurance assessor said something to this effect as well. Sees Bentleighs and Range Rovers with safety systems still have front on crashes. Does not matter how advanced the pre-warning, it does not trigger if it thinks you are in control, due to driver input.

Truck driver in front half entered the intersection and then slammed on the brakes. I was checking out oncoming traffic for a split second and when I turned it was too late and ran into the back.

If the audible warnings had triggered, I would most likely have avoided the accident, as not not going that fast and was braking at the time.

Truck flat bed unfortunately also has not crumpte zone. Not one scratch on this truck.

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad to hear you survived relatively unscathed.

It looks like the safety systems did their job. Rear ending a flat bed, or any kind of utility truck can be extremely dangerous because of their (usually) higher "bumper" that doesn't give your crumple zones the ability to work for you.

So you know what caused the impact damage towards the top of the passenger side of the windshield? Just curious...
Yes, after accident safety systems did their job. The preventative safety systems did not do their job:(

Not sure what caused the damage to the top of the windscreen. May just have been the force of the impact.

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not Good hope all works out OK
Everything looks like it will turn out well.

Insurance has secured me a brand new replacement MY16 V8 R-Line with sunroof (Oct 15 build/Mar compliance).

Will be picking it up from my local dealer VW Camberwell at the end of this month.

As it is black, I told the guy I don't want swirl marks in the paint when it is delivered, so saleperson said they will be getting an outside independent mob to prepare the car, instead of their regular pre-delivery guys. Not sure what this means about their pre-delivery team:-k

Hopefully the new car will not the issues that the old MY15 did: 1) regular VCDS errors being thrown up; 2) car always pulling to the left.

BTW, for anyone in Melbourne that has issues with their cars pulling to left, take them to VW Waverley (off Springvale Rd)

I had my car serviced 4 days prior to the accident:(, and got them to also do a wheel alighnment ($77). I have to say they got the wheel alignment perfect.

They sublet all wheel alignments to their GM sister dealership next door, which has the latest Hunter wheel alignment machine, with the additional radar calibration add-on, if your car has ACC. (BTW, if you need to do the calibration, which I didn't need to, it is an extra $550).

I was going to reply to a related wheel alignmnet post mentioning my positive experience, but wrote my car off before I had the chance.

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad to hear your insurance is taking care of you!
Yes. For a company that has to cough up close yo $120k to rplace my car, I have to say the after accident experience has been top class and I could not have been happier.

I had RACV Complete care which allows me a lot more benefits to what the cheap end of town allow if an accident happens.

Not sure if car would have still been a write off if I was with a cheaper insurance.

Also, I have to thank Peter from Novak Panels in South Melbourne. As I am allowed to choose my repairer I always use these guys for all repairs in the past. The quality of their work is A grade. Peter was very thorough and quoted for everything that needed to be teplaced.

Goes to say insurance is no different to anything else. You pay for what you get.

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sorry to hear about your experience and great that you came out of it without serious injuries.
All the best with the replacement mate
Thanks. Touareg helped with reducing injuries. As we all know it is a very solid safe car.

Looks like I will pick up the new car on Sat 30th April.

Will post pics of course but they should look the same as the pics I posted last year for my earlier MY15:p

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Getting the same color and options?
Yes exactly the same car V8 R-Line with sunroof, titanium tinting on front side windows and paint protection.. Only difference wl be that it will be an MY16 instead of an MY15.

Interestingly VW don't trust their predelivery guys getting it right on black cars and are outsourcing the predelivery preparation.

I will be checking it all out on the day. Will bring the wife along ghis time to also check it out.

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Great, maybe check it for the park brake roll issue, and if rolls after applying park brake refuse taking delivery....hmmmm
Haha. I wont give the guy that hard this time.

I learnt from last time. The more times they play with your car the more things that can go wrong.

But I will ask to go for a test drive to check wheel alignment is good.

I will also ask them to print me off a scan report prior to starting the predelivery prep activities to confirm that there are no inherent faults prior to delivery.

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I could have done with one of your wheels nm, put a deep scratch on rear left...arghh
Worst part having 21s....
It is going to the auction. You can always buy it. I think they were hoping to get $45k for it.

all 4 whhels are unmarked.

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I guys, picked up my brand new Black MY16 V8 R-Line (with sunroof) this afternoon.

So far so good. Experience was better than my earlier MY15 V8 R-Line.

I received a full tank of fuel this time, and I can report that this car does not pull to the left like the old one.

They also completed the current recall for the brake pedal clip.

I have not scanned the car yet, but I have been assured by the sales guy that they scanned the car for faults while doing the recall procedure and did not find any faults. Fingers crossed when I scan the car in a couple of days from now.

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Pics are compulsory, especially of the engine . . . if only to piss off both US and UK readers!!
As the car is an extract spec as the written off MY15, but just a MY16, is it okay if I upload the engine photos I took of the previous MY15, for the US and UK readers? :rolleyes:

Kidding... Will take some photos shortly.

BTW, I did notice a lot of build up of dust in the engine bay, especially around the edges of the bonnet and on the top of the grill when I opened the bonnet at the dealership, and got the guy to wipe it all off before delivery ;(

Is it normal for the Treg to catch this much dust in the engine compartment? Could it be a result of sitting around at the port for 3months???

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Congrats. Any major differences between MY15 and 16?
According to the salesman, there are zero differences on the V8 R-line between MY15 and MY16. It is 10months newer than my old one.
BTW, He did mention there were some differences for the V6, but wasn't really paying attention.:rolleyes:

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Good to see they gave you a full tank - I got half! Really no point in skimping on the details, which is what leaves you with a great impression!

Also, fairly sure we don't have auto dipping / high beam headlights after all, please let me know if yours is otherwise!

Love the V8 though, is a great engine.
Explain this auto dipping feature that you are missing.

With the light switch in "Auto", upon startup, in low light, my car's headlights do a kind of funky light show, where they go through some sort of self test routine, moving around until they end up at the correct height?

I also notice that they automatically adjust the level so as to never shine into the car in front's rear windscreen, not going any higher than level of the rear tail lights of the car in front.

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Hi Nick,
BUGGER!!!
Tough luck writing off the Touareg. From the photos there doesn't seem enough damage to write it off.
Glad you are okay and trust your insurance company looks after you well.
Cheers.
Yes, bad luck comes for a reason. As you may remember I had lots of problems with my MY15, wheel alignment issues, lot of faults regularly being thrown etc.

So far, my brand new MY16 has ticked all the boxes, without the issues that the old one had.

I am thinking of the whole experience as a reset in my Touareg ownership.
-----

Car was written off as the area of the impact bent the frame, meaning that the engine, and entire drive train needed to be taken out to fix. Also, as it has ACC and all the other tech gear, apparently, when you have a major front impact, with air bags going off, they need to replace all those parts, including radars etc...

I also, believe that they were going to get a reasonable amount for the rest of the car, as parts etc at auction.

It all added up in my favour, as I don't think they were comfortable repairing the car, and offering a life time guarantee on repairs, and having ongoing future problems, that would cost them lots in the future. It was easier for them to cut their losses and write the car off, I guess.

----
I was and still am with RACV Complete Car Insurance. It is their premium insurance product, but a car like the Touareg requires a premium insurance, so happy paying more than the cheaper insurances. They provided car rental for the entire month that I was without a car, and the after accident service was fantastic. Could not fault them.

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
the thrill of a cheap(er) premium is soon lost when the claims experience doesn't meet the expectation sold to you in the quote/policy process.

Good stuff.
Couldn't agree more. We all have premium vehicles that are ultra expensive to repair.
We should never cut corners on insurance, unless you are planning on never claiming.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.