Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, I was involved in a accident that ended up causing enough damage to write off my 2015 Touareg V8 R-Line.

Even though I was not going that fast (around 30kmh), the angle of the impact to the the back of the flat bed truck (that I ran into the back off), was such that it caused structural damage, causing the end repair bill to be such that it was not worth fixing.

Was a bit of a shock as all the air bags (front two, knee and two side curtain) were all deployed, which probably contributed to the decision to write the car off.

NOTE: Apparently, as I was in the process of braking and was turning the steering wheel, all the warning systems were disabled.

I had a dashcam mounted at the time which confirmed no warning alarms were heard.

The car does not look that bad (other than the front damage). It will be taken to the auction to be sold as a write off. The mentioned that they will get mid $40k for it.

The vehicle replacement department of my insurance company are in the process of going out to tender to find me a brand new replacement V8 R-Line with sunroof.

Am I the first to write off a T4 V8 R-Line?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear and glad no one was hurt. I hope the replacement goes smoothly.
I had bruising on my right wrist coutesy of the air bag deployment, but luckily no broken bones. Also had some bruising in my upper back, but now all good.

Hoping to get the replacement from the local dealer, as they have stock, but the insurance company goes out to tender and will pick the cheapest submitted quote. I mentioned I would prefer a car with a 2016 compliance date, as don't want a car that has been sitting idle for several months in a dealer's holding area.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Acording to VW, the included pre-collision warning systems (driver assists) even though enabled, do not trigger if the driver moves the steering wheel, as the system thinks you are in control.
As I was slightly turning the wheel to the left, the system thought I was making corrective action, thus did not throw any audible warnings, as would normally occur if you are going straight.

Insurance assessor said something to this effect as well. Sees Bentleighs and Range Rovers with safety systems still have front on crashes. Does not matter how advanced the pre-warning, it does not trigger if it thinks you are in control, due to driver input.

Truck driver in front half entered the intersection and then slammed on the brakes. I was checking out oncoming traffic for a split second and when I turned it was too late and ran into the back.

If the audible warnings had triggered, I would most likely have avoided the accident, as not not going that fast and was braking at the time.

Truck flat bed unfortunately also has not crumpte zone. Not one scratch on this truck.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Same type of thing happened very early in my driving career when entering a main road from an angles side street and person in front started so I looked to my right while creeping forward, looked forward and... Oh bother, or words to that effect, the car in front had decided to stop for no reason and crunch. Very easy to do but been so wry of tat situation ever since. NEVER trust the clown in front to do the logical thing. John
P.S. glad all the bruising has settled and there was nothing major in the way of injury.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Glad to hear you survived relatively unscathed.

It looks like the safety systems did their job. Rear ending a flat bed, or any kind of utility truck can be extremely dangerous because of their (usually) higher "bumper" that doesn't give your crumple zones the ability to work for you.

So you know what caused the impact damage towards the top of the passenger side of the windshield? Just curious...

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
So the truck took it up the bum, eh? That's a bugger all round!

Honest of you to admit your fault.

I suspect many of us have had a close shave in exactly those circumstances.

I did and managed to stop JUST in time, but I bet you couldn't have got a *** paper through the gap between our bumpers!

As a result I never take my eyes off the guy in front!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad to hear you survived relatively unscathed.

It looks like the safety systems did their job. Rear ending a flat bed, or any kind of utility truck can be extremely dangerous because of their (usually) higher "bumper" that doesn't give your crumple zones the ability to work for you.

So you know what caused the impact damage towards the top of the passenger side of the windshield? Just curious...
Yes, after accident safety systems did their job. The preventative safety systems did not do their job:(

Not sure what caused the damage to the top of the windscreen. May just have been the force of the impact.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Bad luck that this happened. Thank you for having the courage to share your experience. It will give people fair warning to not rely too much on those collision avoidance systems.

I had a similar experience in a Volvo XC60 a few years ago. That also had similar collision avoidance kit. Similarly, I was wanting to turn left and watching the traffic from the right for a gap. Started moving off, then noticed a pedestrian had decided to cross in front of me. Luckily no collision but both our hearts stopped for an instant. The collision avoidance did jack sh*t.

·
Registered
706 Posts
As an aside, when you said "bruising on my right wrist courtesy of the air bag deployment"
it reminded me of an article I read recently which said modern cars are best driven with the hands at as we say 1/4 to 3 or with the hands each side of the wheel at 9 and 3 if you know what an analogue clock looks like.

the old preferred 10 to 2 position can result in broken wrists if the air bag deploys.

in your case nm2003 as you were turning the wheel it may not have helped any.

But I see peeps with one hand on the top of the wheel and wonder how they would fare if the air bag went off in that pose?

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
But I see peeps with one hand on the top of the wheel and wonder how they would fare if the air bag went off in that pose?
Badly, I hope. It would serve the silly sods right!

The same as those daft bints who slouch in the pax seat with their bare feet up on top of the dashboard.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Wow. Glad to hear you're okay!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not Good hope all works out OK
Everything looks like it will turn out well.

Insurance has secured me a brand new replacement MY16 V8 R-Line with sunroof (Oct 15 build/Mar compliance).

Will be picking it up from my local dealer VW Camberwell at the end of this month.

As it is black, I told the guy I don't want swirl marks in the paint when it is delivered, so saleperson said they will be getting an outside independent mob to prepare the car, instead of their regular pre-delivery guys. Not sure what this means about their pre-delivery team:-k

Hopefully the new car will not the issues that the old MY15 did: 1) regular VCDS errors being thrown up; 2) car always pulling to the left.

BTW, for anyone in Melbourne that has issues with their cars pulling to left, take them to VW Waverley (off Springvale Rd)

I had my car serviced 4 days prior to the accident:(, and got them to also do a wheel alighnment ($77). I have to say they got the wheel alignment perfect.

They sublet all wheel alignments to their GM sister dealership next door, which has the latest Hunter wheel alignment machine, with the additional radar calibration add-on, if your car has ACC. (BTW, if you need to do the calibration, which I didn't need to, it is an extra $550).

I was going to reply to a related wheel alignmnet post mentioning my positive experience, but wrote my car off before I had the chance.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad to hear your insurance is taking care of you!
Yes. For a company that has to cough up close yo $120k to rplace my car, I have to say the after accident experience has been top class and I could not have been happier.

I had RACV Complete care which allows me a lot more benefits to what the cheap end of town allow if an accident happens.

Not sure if car would have still been a write off if I was with a cheaper insurance.

Also, I have to thank Peter from Novak Panels in South Melbourne. As I am allowed to choose my repairer I always use these guys for all repairs in the past. The quality of their work is A grade. Peter was very thorough and quoted for everything that needed to be teplaced.

Goes to say insurance is no different to anything else. You pay for what you get.

·
Registered
735 Posts
This sounds promising!

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,416 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience and great that you came out of it without serious injuries.
All the best with the replacement mate

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.