Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Sorry if i repeat some thread but this forum is huge!

I'm interested to buy a Touareg but some people told me some issues about the vw 2.5, 5 cilinder engine, reliably is not his strong! I love to hear some opinions about this engine, and common problems... if they exist, or if is only bull ****s that i ear!

I prefer a car who has best consumptions that a lot of horses like V6.

What are the opinions about the 2.5TDi R5 VS 3.0 V6 in the follow topics:
- consumptions
- reliably
- driving / fun
- common problems i can expect

Many Thanks to all members!
Best Regards,

goncalo

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Hi goncalodias, welcome to the the club.
R5 engine is the same engine that you can find on Transporter and Crafter, its a pretty good engine and very reliable if you do the maintenance well. Some peoples had camshaft issues with this engine, but it seems thats because of using the wrong oil. 506.01 is the only oil formula you can use in R5 or V10 engines manufactured before 2007. The R5 engine is gear driven and that makes it maintenance free, no chain no belt replacement. Except two couplings and pulleys that drive the alternator and the AC compressor.

I have done about 50K miles with my Touareg and I am very happy with it, no bigger issues on it till now. For 5 years I have only payed about 1000 euros on maintenance and repairs, including oil and filter changes. But I must say I was one of the lucky ones.

Now the consumption, its not a big difference between the R5 and V6 TDI. Since the V6 has more power and torque it is expected to consume a lot more than the R5, but I must say thats not true its about 1-2 Litres overall. Some members here, who had all models of touaregs reported that the V6 feels better than any other, and it is beter balanced then other engines.

With the Touaregs you can't know, one moment is great and the other something fails and you can't drive it. All touareg models share some issues, like the center driveshaft bearing, valve body (automatic transmission touaregs), stepper motor and so on and that are some common problems that might occur. As for the two engines you are about to buy, I would recommend you to get the V6 TDI.

Any Touareg is fun to drive, great on road and very good off road. If you are going to buy the R5 I'll recommend you to get the manual gearbox, its just great, short shifts and very good when off roading. And no valve body(chest) to fail. And try to avoid the 2003 and 2004 Touaregs, it seems that this early production years touaregs have some problems more than later models.

Boa sorte

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many Thank for all reply's!

Touareg MNE, i hope if i get one, be a lucky guy as you are!
I love auto transmissions! Do you think is a big risk on Touareg? I thought the triptronic was good transmission. The valve body is very expensive to fix?

Noobytoogy, great tutorial! I will have now a check list, when i gonna see them!

Njord, what are the differences? Is by the year models?

i have a Range Rover P38, and before i had more 3 Range Rovers, but the Touareg, looks a great car, and i was looking for a reliably car! I have a baby and i love to make trips and go surfing in hidden beaches with off road access. And with the Range Rover i never know!

I will have the same feeling with Touareg or is much more reliably car?

The other reason is to makes trips more faster and less expensive :)

Once again
Thanks to all!
I see this is a great community! Great Forum!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
The valve chest is something you'll need to replace sooner or later, its not cheap. I don't know how much exactly. The BAC engines were produced first, then from 2006 or 2007 (not sure on this one) they started producing BLK BPD and BPE.. There are just some minor differences between this engines, bolt extra there bolt less here and so. Nothing special. There was also a common issue on the R5 regarding the water pump leakage. And thats about it. Its not reliable like Toyota, but sure it is more reliable than the Range Rover you had.

If the R5 engine was well maintained you'll be able to get 500K miles from it. But than again, if you're lucky you'll enjoy it-if not, you'll be waiting for the first oportunity to sell it.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Njord, what are the differences? Is by the year models?
Yes, You are right. BAC is a BPE predecessor superseded in 2006. There are no significant differences. BPE engine aluminium alloy cylinder block is made under advanced technology.
Below BAC engines problem (liner bore plasma coating peeling off) was resolved.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to ask about consumptions in the 2 engines:

highway trip at 120km/h
highway trip at 140km/h
highway and city combined

Many Thanks again!
regards,
goncalo

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
goncalo,

with regard to consumption, do not expect substantial fuel economy from 2.5l diesel. (Particularly when in city short trip driving). They said gasoline engine converted to gas is a better solution.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have an R5 and its never missed a beat, i recommend looking for one with Air suspension if you go off road, i also remapped mine to give me more HP. I drive a manual and its no problem.

Check out the UK forum as there are more R5 owners there mytreg.com

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi goncalodias, welcome to the the club.
R5 engine is the same engine that you can find on Transporter and Crafter, its a pretty good engine and very reliable if you do the maintenance well. Some peoples had camshaft issues with this engine, but it seems thats because of using the wrong oil. 506.01 is the only oil formula you can use in R5 or V10 engines manufactured before 2007. The R5 engine is gear driven and that makes it maintenance free, no chain no belt replacement. Except two couplings and pulleys that drive the alternator and the AC compressor.

I have done about 50K miles with my Touareg and I am very happy with it, no bigger issues on it till now. For 5 years I have only payed about 1000 euros on maintenance and repairs, including oil and filter changes. But I must say I was one of the lucky ones.

Now the consumption, its not a big difference between the R5 and V6 TDI. Since the V6 has more power and torque it is expected to consume a lot more than the R5, but I must say thats not true its about 1-2 Litres overall. Some members here, who had all models of touaregs reported that the V6 feels better than any other, and it is beter balanced then other engines.

With the Touaregs you can't know, one moment is great and the other something fails and you can't drive it. All touareg models share some issues, like the center driveshaft bearing, valve body (automatic transmission touaregs), stepper motor and so on and that are some common problems that might occur. As for the two engines you are about to buy, I would recommend you to get the V6 TDI.

Any Touareg is fun to drive, great on road and very good off road. If you are going to buy the R5 I'll recommend you to get the manual gearbox, its just great, short shifts and very good when off roading. And no valve body(chest) to fail. And try to avoid the 2003 and 2004 Touaregs, it seems that this early production years touaregs have some problems more than later models.

Boa sorte
I wouldn't trust the 30w that most 506.01 oils come in. 505.01 and more frequent OCs is a safer bet imho...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mina I'm looking only for Air suspension, and automatic! I love automatic transmissions... i hope will not be a issue!

Njord, I saw in spritmonitor and fuelly, very good consumptions by the 2.5 and 3.0 v6 owners! I'm used to a car that i make a trip at 100km/h and consumptions about 10L commute, 12L, but always driving very very slowly!

I saw consumptions about 8,5L, that is impossible with my Range Rover, even very slowly in Highways.

I'd love to ear about the consumptions of yours! :)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'd love to ear about the consumptions of yours! :)
OK. My consumption is more or less in consistency with figures declared in specification (10 l/km out & 14 l/km in city). Compare with 3l diesel engine readings. I do not find any tremendous surge in fuel economy. You can re-program your MFD to get a pro-active (instant/immediate) consumption and the results seem to be not so optimistic. Sometimes it shows something in the range of 20-30 l/km (running cold engine, throttling, going uphill, etc.) which is quite real to my mind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But is possible to maker lower consumptions in highways trips?
only highways at 120km/h makes 8.5 liters or more?

i'm curious about constant speed with cruise control at 120km/h and at 140/h.

if anyone know please report, in both models was great!

many thanks,
regards

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
about 7,5-8 Litres with 2.5.. On any LONGER trip, no matter what the speed is.. You'll get 6.5-7 Litres drivinh downhill :D

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
When going downhill my R5 instantaneous consumption falls down to 2.0 l/100km. :)
When cruising at 120 km/hr it is approx. 8.5 l/100km on average.
I get 0.0l/100km on instantaneous consupmtion :D You are confusing me with the V6TDI on your avatar :D

·
Registered
361 Posts
But is possible to maker lower consumptions in highways trips?
only highways at 120km/h makes 8.5 liters or more?

i'm curious about constant speed with cruise control at 120km/h and at 140/h.

if anyone know please report, in both models was great!

many thanks,
regards
With cruise control activated you don't get optimum consumption. My 2005 V10 has seen highway consumption as low as 6.5 l/100 at painfully slow speeds (80-90kmh) but at the hands of an expert in fluid dynamics and aerodynamics, over a trip of 200miles... I think that both the V6 and T5 have the potential to beat that...more the TDI than the V6 petrol...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts