Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But I'm to inexperienced in buying cars, though I love them. I'm 18 and have been looking for an SUV for about a month or two now and I had my eyes set on the 2004 Lexus RX330 (I found a good deal!). After awhile and basically after my mind was made on getting it, I was just browsing VWs and came across the Touareg WHICH I had remember seeing a couple of years ago (they're scarce here in my area of Texas ;)) and totally forgot how much I loved the way it looked (how could I forget!). After a few days of researching and finding what seems to me to be a good deal on one, I'm bringing it here, lol. It'd really help me if someone was to maybe look over this lovely Treg that I've been having my eyes on! I'm alittle bit iffy on the mileage and if its normal for an 2004 to have that many miles on it. Im really loving this site and digging everyone here as I've been reading every post I could find for the past week, and I can't wait to join in on the Tregging fun! haha

Here is the link to the Touareg and dealer: Texas Auto - 2004 Volkswagen Touareg AWD/4X4 V8 WE FINANCE!!! - Stock# 077003

And if anybody has any suggestions on what I should check out and ask the dealer before any deal is made, please tell! I don't want to be done over by the dealer, lol. [-X This will be my very first carr

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
18yo! buy the lexus !!!!!!!!!!

the 04 touareg will break you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
18yo! buy the lexus !!!!!!!!!!

the 04 touareg will break you
I understand the RX330 is a nicely built SUV with nice reviews but the used RX's that are actual quality and are out of my price range. I got really lucky to find a nice job to save before I head off to college but the Lexus (a quality one) will eat my money up a tad faster. Lol, but who knows!

·
Registered
151 Posts
That is a great price, for the loaded Toureg. If you can afford the upkeep, then Go For It! Drive it proudly! ;)

·
Registered
703 Posts
If you happen to get one of those rare Touareg that don't require a tremendous amount of upkeep than congrats, but prepare yourself for the National deficit to have a rivalry from your pocket on the Touareg that breaks the bank.

Good luck.

Cya

·
Registered
969 Posts
Are you studying Arts or Finance? A Touareg can teach you about both

body and paint looks clean
VIN is later 04 build, which is good
make sure all TSBs have been performed
pay attention to the voltage...should read exactly 14
check tire condition
get carfax and service history
are you nearby a VW dealer (just in case)?
when you test it, drive slowly, do lock-to-lock turns...be sensitive to anything that feels out of place (binding)
the V8 iirc is to have timing belt replaced at 80K...you're at 69k...they are not cheap

I like how dealers vacuum carpets into stripes, but if I were 18 and heading to school, I'd get something easier and more economical to operate than a 15mpg V8.

You have good taste, but why do you need a vehicle like this? Looks? Few on this forum would argue the styling cues of the Touareg, but most have other reasons for owning them...

Do as you must...life is what you make of it..but I would not recommend a Touareg at this stage of your life. For $$16.4k, you can get a NEW vehicle...with ZERO miles...that are far more fuel efficient and have better ipod integration

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
IMO purchase price should be your last consideration...most people driving around in Tregs (new or used) have healthy incomes, that's why you'll come onto this site and read stories where people bitch and whine about dumping $4K into a repair instead of saying they can't afford to fix the vehicle. Remember these things cost $100 bucks to fill up and its not like that 100 bucks will take you far either...tires run a grand, and they like to eat them up....brakes are a grand, and that's doing it on the cheap...timing belt - you guessed it, a grand. These are all regular maintenance items that no warranty covers.

Also IMHO: I wouldn't buy an '04 at any price...some have had great luck, but many others (me included) have not.

Forget about touaregs and buy yourself a GTI or something that won't force you to live for your vehicle...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
That seems to be a pretty good deal on what looks to be a base '04 V8. I have seen some with air suspension and Nav for similar money with less miles though, so shop accordingly.

But, I must say, at 80k miles you're looking at an $1800 timing belt change on the V8. Personally, I'd have loved a Touareg back in the days of 18, but I'd never have been able to keep up with the maintenance on it. Everyone's situation is different, but I'd say if you drive 15,000 miles a year, you're going to need to budget at least $250-300 per month just in gas. This is in addition to maintenance, insurance, car payment, etc.

The only piece of advice I'll give: Don't get in over your head financially, especially at 18. While a Touareg is a beyond phenomenal vehicle, I'll even admit that parts, repairs, and upkeep are more costly than in many other vehicles. If you are absolutely 100% positive that you can make it work, go for it. But, if there's any doubt about it, don't make a move you may regret later.

Matt

·
Registered
70 Posts
Under the optional equipment it states in caps that it has rear dif lock, it does NOT. Having said that, a Toureg should not be a first car for an 18 yr old. The expense of maintainence and gas, or perhaps something major fails it will bankrupt you. I can only imagine how much insurance will cost per year for an 18 yr old. You should be looking for a car that gets over 30 mpg and not 12-15.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The main reason why I need an SUV is because I'm going to be doing a lot of moving in the coming up months and years. I'm moving to another country (for college) and plan on taking whatever vehicle I get to that country. Volkswagens are common in this country and if anything happens, I'll be able to take it to the shop and get it fixed. Lexus (as far as I know) aren't sold in the country (Argentina). I know it'll be expensive to keep up but right now I have a job working at a refinery with BP and I'm making around 1,100 a week (all for school!) and I WILL NOT buy a cash car. I'm firmly against cash cars only for the reason that my mom and her boyfriend have some and it's always something every other day. Stopping on the side of the road, tires blowing out, this, that and I refuse to have that going on. Yeah, 69,000 miles is a lot so I'm more likely to go search for something with lower miles and maybe (this is breaking my bank...) an '05. Idk, I don't wanna spend money on something (especially my money) that I'm not gonna like. It will be on my mind everytime I get in the car that I didn't get what I like because I was "playing it safe".

and cars are boring... haha

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you studying Arts or Finance? A Touareg can teach you about both

body and paint looks clean
VIN is later 04 build, which is good
make sure all TSBs have been performed
pay attention to the voltage...should read exactly 14
check tire condition
get carfax and service history
are you nearby a VW dealer (just in case)?
when you test it, drive slowly, do lock-to-lock turns...be sensitive to anything that feels out of place (binding)
the V8 iirc is to have timing belt replaced at 80K...you're at 69k...they are not cheap

I like how dealers vacuum carpets into stripes, but if I were 18 and heading to school, I'd get something easier and more economical to operate than a 15mpg V8.

You have good taste, but why do you need a vehicle like this? Looks? Few on this forum would argue the styling cues of the Touareg, but most have other reasons for owning them...

Do as you must...life is what you make of it..but I would not recommend a Touareg at this stage of your life. For $$16.4k, you can get a NEW vehicle...with ZERO miles...that are far more fuel efficient and have better ipod integration

Good luck.
I'm studying advertising design, haha.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
The main reason why I need an SUV is because I'm going to be doing a lot of moving in the coming up months and years. I'm moving to another country (for college) and plan on taking whatever vehicle I get to that country.
I made it through college just fine in a VW Golf, it has a pile of room one you put the back seats down...the Touareg doesn't have as much room as you think it does.

Not trying to tell you what to do, but I'd strongly encourage you to get something that doesn't have the potential to bankrupt you...

Touaregs are about as much a first vehicle as Paris Hilton is a first date.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I made it through college just fine in a VW Golf, it has a pile of room one you put the back seats down...the Touareg doesn't have as much room as you think it does.

Not trying to tell you what to do, but I'd strongly encourage you to get something that doesn't have the potential to bankrupt you...

Touaregs are about as much a first vehicle as Paris Hilton is a first date.
I agree... At 18 I would have loved to own one of these but would not have been able to afford the upkeep etc... Even now thinking about 1,500 brake job and 1800 timing belt change (long long ways to go) sometimes makes me scratch my head. haven't had to do any maintenance yet, only have 2,000 mile on her. The only thing so far I did was to buy a new set of 17n rims tires and TPMS which cost 1,500. Gas isn't to bad for me as I only drive on the weekend but still I usually fill up either once a week or once every 2. Gas has come down a bit so thats about 70 a fill up now.

I would say look at some new/used cars with far less miles...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Side Note.... is the timing belt something you can replace yourself?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good,Buenos Aires is a Fantastic City, but the public transport is a the best option moving around that city, If you want to take a Treg to Argentina that is the way to go, because the outdoors are just fantastic, but don't even think that you can survive in Bs. with the traffic jams they are HORRIBLE. And just another thing get a V8 with air suspension in Argentina you ll need it.!!!!

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
car has 70 k
When odometer hits 80k you have an $1800 repair bill (timingbelt)
How are brakes? If almost worn they will cost a few dollars.Read this forum

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I agree with a bunch of the others, a Touareg is a very nice vehicle, but the cost of ownership is high when compared to other cars.

If you can afford it and you get a warranty, I say go for it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The main reason why I need an SUV is because I'm going to be doing a lot of moving in the coming up months and years. I'm moving to another country (for college) ...

How much is gas in Argentina, is gas as readily available as it is here in the US? (alcohol or diesel might be easier or cheaper to find)

If you're not going to use the off road capability I'd suggest a Jetta or Golf. They are fun to drive, the golf has great storage capacity, and they both get 35% better gas mileage then the V8 Touareg. If you're taking it off road don't get this Touareg, find one with the air suspension.

what's the resale value in Argentina? Can you sell it for more there, what if you want a new car two years from now...

If you're already worried about the expense I'd suggest you don't buy a foreign car. Putting alot of miles on the car in the next few years will ensure maintenance and VW or Lexus cost much more for parts and their systems are more complicated (therefore more labor) then a domestic. For example, if you ever need a new battery in the Touareg you'll need a VW dealer for the job, it'll take 8 hours of labor to remove the seat, install the batter and re-install the seat. The batter alone costs >$150 plus labor (I just had my V8 '04 done under warranty for just shy of $400)

·
Registered
164 Posts
forget the 04 find an 05 with less miles and for gods sake forget the lexus..damn soccer mom cars they are! and yey for young treg owners! 19 here

1 - 20 of 26 Posts