Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
ATSTodd,
Ok understood. Thanks for taking the time to send a picture. I know exactly where to inject the grease!
If you don’t mind me asking… what was the cost for the rebuild kit for the driveshaft?

·
Registered
2013 TDI Exec.
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
ATSTodd,
Ok understood. Thanks for taking the time to send a picture. I know exactly where to inject the grease!
If you don’t mind me asking… what was the cost for the rebuild kit for the driveshaft?
The repair kit came with parts to do one of the boots as well as the bearing. The boot kit came with parts to do 2 sets of boots so I ended up with a left over set of parts for one of the slip joints. If you can find the bearing separately for a better price you will only need the boot kit. I also did not find the clips and o-rings for the ends of the driveshafts and was forced to reuse what I had.

7P6-598-573 Boot Kit $32.25
7P6-598-575 Repair Kit $70.80

·
Registered
4 Posts
First off, wanted to send out a big thanks to ATSTodd for doing one of the best write-ups on this procedure after many hours of searching (plenty of info out there for the T2m, but skinny on the T3). This is definitely becoming more of an issue as the early T3's get up there in mileage, so nice to see this great info out there.

Second, Meyle has come out with a service kit that includes all the clamps and bellows for the full job, combining the 2 OE parts referenced in the last post. The Meyle kit part no. is 414 151 0100/S (cheers to them!)

And a link to their instructions

I've been having a tough time finding individual part no's for the spring clips and o-rings at either end of the driveshaft that the OP re-used, anyone else have the info?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will be doing this repair tomorrow after first trying to the JXB fix but once I started into it I discovered the bearing itself had self destructed so I ordered the Melye service kit # 414 151 0100/S from Parts Geek, super quick shipping by the way, ordered Wednesday after business hours and it will be here today. Also noted in Todd's writeup that he stated he didn't download Rep Gr. 26 for rear exhaust removal, actually he did, that stands for Repair Group 26 which is exhaust system repair section in the engine manual. Great writeup Todd, wish me luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Job went really smooth, took 4.5 hours with a helper which made it mush easier. Just a few pictures and a few tips if you ever have to tackle this job, Todd's write-up covers it really well and having the manuals from erWin helps a lot, you can get 24 hour access to erWin for $35.00 and save the manuals to your PC or Tablet: erWin Online | Volkswagen of America | erWin Online
Automotive tire White Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Heat shield you need to remove to get to plug for sensor removal. Tried to remove sensor from exhaust but couldn't budge it and didn't want to round it off. Pretty easy to remove once you have the exhaust loosened up and the hangers unbolted.
Tire Hood Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Wheel Hood Automotive tire Bumper Tire

Be sure put alignment marks before removing drive shaft.
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Automotive wheel system

And have a large crow bar the pop the driveshaft off!
Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Floor Wood

Getting the snap ring out is a bit tricky but if you get it cleaned up and can see the end and get behind it with a pick or screwdriver you can pop it out.
Hand tool Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Automotive tire
Bottle Wood Flooring Water bottle Drinkware

I wish I had got some photos of how we got it back together but was pretty frustrated at the point, basically followed Todd's advise and used a vice grip to keep the ball cage from sliding down and that also provided leverage for the screwdrivers to pop the spring clip back into the tube.
White Light Automotive tire Gas Font

This is what was left of my old bearing, just the inner and outer races with no rollers!
Automotive tire Wood Engineering Gas Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Automotive fuel system Automotive exhaust

All back together again, make sure to check that both ends of driveshaft are fully on and seated, I put the back on first and when we put front on it actually pulled the back off again......Cheers!
Automotive tire White Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design
Tire Hood Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Wheel Hood Automotive tire Bumper Tire
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Automotive wheel system
Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Floor Wood
Hand tool Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Automotive tire
Bottle Wood Flooring Water bottle Drinkware
White Light Automotive tire Gas Font
Automotive tire Wood Engineering Gas Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Automotive fuel system Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
2013 TDI Exec.
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
No, ended up using the originals, I was under time constraints, leaving for vacation tomorrow morning.
I think I finally have them:

O-ring: WHT 005 156
Snap Ring: 7P0 521 202

I'm about to do the rear main seal so I need to pop them apart again. I'll order these parts and report back.

EDIT: looks like there are 3 different shaft sizes in the EPC. I have ordered them and we will see if they are really different when I take them all apart. The front transfercase output shows a flange and also shows the O-ring and Snap ring as an option I think. Our '13 does not have the flange.

The rear diff Input and T-case front output are both listed as:
O-ring: WHT 005 158 "25 X 2"
Snap ring: 7P0 521 200A "21.9 X1.8"

T-case Rear Output:
O-ring: WHT 005 156 "28x2:
Snap ring: 7P0 521 202

Front Diff Input:
O-ring: WHT 005 156 "23.5 X 1.78"
Snap Ring: 7P0 521 199A "Z32 Silver"

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
1,690 Posts
Does anyone who's replaced their bearing still have the old one kicking around?
I'm starting to have driveline whine, and I suspect it's the hanger bearing, but I'd like to attempt to re-pack it since I don't have a lift and doing this on the ground\outside will be a PITA.

I believe the bearing seals should pop off\out from the side facing the rear of the vehicle.
If anyone who still has the old one around would try it to let me know before I butcher my own, that would be great!

·
Registered
2013 TDI Exec.
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Does anyone who's replaced their bearing still have the old one kicking around?
I'm starting to have driveline whine, and I suspect it's the hanger bearing, but I'd like to attempt to re-pack it since I don't have a lift and doing this on the ground\outside will be a PITA.

I believe the bearing seals should pop off\out from the side facing the rear of the vehicle.
If anyone who still has the old one around would try it to let me know before I butcher my own, that would be great!
The seals should pop off but I don't think you can access them without disassembling the driveshaft. On my '13 I was barely able to get the needle on my grease gun to fit through to the seal. I remember only being able to get through on the front side.

·
Registered
2013 TDI Exec.
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I'm sure it will be PITA, but I may attempt it anyways.....
Judging by this clip, it might be possible. (start @ 2:05)
That's a T2 driveshaft in the video I think. Try a needle on a grease gun. It will be way easier. I think I have pictures above of needle placement. I initially just shot some oil in mine as a diagnostic, then grease to tide it over to replacement.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts