Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been painfully debating what tires to get for my 2011 V6 (275/45/20). Have read all the old posts and reviews I could find and still am having a hard time. So this is your chance to tell me how much you love or hate a tire. I am really only driving city roads and highways. I'll take it on the odd path, nothing crazy. We get rain and snow (but I'll probably get winters) Here is what I have narrowed it down to.

General Grabber UHP - Have read that a lot of people really like this tire despite the name and lower price (are you getting what you pay for?) I will end up getting Blizzaks for winter if I go with the UHP. I would have to get these from Canadian Tire (or tiretrends)

Pirelli Scorpion STR - Available at Costco. Have not heard a lot on these.

Bridgestone Dueler Alenza - Available at Costco. Again have not heard a lot about these.

Pricing installed are about the same across the board. Please chime in on what you think is a good tire out of the 3 and if you think there is something better let me know. I will be making a decision in the next few days and will give some feedback once a drive around a bit.

I did like the OEM Goodyears but don't want to pay that kind of price if there is something better.

·
Supreme Member
2,372 Posts
General Grabber UHP - Have read that a lot of people really like this tire despite the name and lower price (are you getting what you pay for?) I will end up getting Blizzaks for winter if I go with the UHP. I would have to get these from Canadian Tire (or tiretrends)
I'm expecting to get these installed on the Touareg tomorrow in 255/60-17. They've been on special order since Saturday. The reviews on wet traction were important to me (I live in Oregon, and it rains, and rains, and rains, and rains) ;)

I'm hoping to get Blizzaks for the winter, too.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Whilst it seems it is the Tdis that suffer most on the few T3 cars that have steering wheel vibrations, I would suggest you consider fitting the Michelin Latitude Tour tires some dealers have been fitting to cure some of those vibration problems to make sure you continue to get a nice smooth ride.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Michelin Latitude Tour
I have these on mine...very smooth ride..can't complaint.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm I did not even consider the Latitude Tour. Does anybody have an idea of tread life?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Michelin Latitude Tour HP's last forever in my experience, but they're pretty expensive. On Michelins website they have very wacky reviews. I think they're a great all-rounded tire. The non HP has a deeper thread; don't know why.

Pirellis suck in the rain and are very noisy.

I have yet to try the DWS's. Every tire guy I asked around here recommended nothing but them, but I wanted more of a performance-oriented tire. We don't get that much of heavy snow or rain around here so I didn't see why I needed them.

Could you find any Nittos? Those are the best tires I've had, right next to the Michelin. I also swear by using nitrogen inflation. It makes them last so much longer and ride better.

I've had great experience buying from TireBuyer also. I get all my tires from there and they're so cheap and have lots of coupons going on + free shipping to you or the installer.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Yokohama Parada Spec-X

I have these on my 05 V8, wearing really nice, quiet, superb wet traction, no issues.

·
Supreme Member
2,372 Posts
I'm expecting to get these installed on the Touareg tomorrow in 255/60-17. They've been on special order since Saturday. The reviews on wet traction were important to me (I live in Oregon, and it rains, and rains, and rains, and rains) ;)
So far, so good!! Hope they last a long time!

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice! I like the way the UHP look.

As for Nitto's.... I can get them. I'll check them out. If they are better priced than the Latitude I'll get them.

Checked out the Michelin Latitude HP... not overly excited about the price. If I get some other tire.... and I get the dreaded vibrations.... is this a VW issue or will they blame me for buying non VW approved tires? Would I have not had that issue with the Goodyears I currently have?

·
Registered
609 Posts
As long as the stock tire size is fitted, I don't think you'll have a problem. Looks like you're getting them fitted at Costco? I couldn't find any Nittos for your fitting. I've always hated buying a brand new car with crap tires.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
So far, so good!! Hope they last a long time!
My money is on those Grabber UHPs doing 27,000 with end of life at 4mm or 5/32ths . . .

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Checked out the Michelin Latitude HP... not overly excited about the price. If I get some other tire.... and I get the dreaded vibrations.... is this a VW issue or will they blame me for buying non VW approved tires? Would I have not had that issue with the Goodyears I currently have?

Michelins usually wear well so they may be pricier to start with but you pays your money and takes your choice . . .

Now we'll get the "Michelins are crap" brigade popping up!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Michelins usually wear well so they may be pricier to start with but you pays your money and takes your choice . . .

Now we'll get the "Michelins are crap" brigade popping up!
Michelins are crap

Lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Michelins are crap

Lol
Haha

So how much longer life are we talking on the Michelins? The Grabber UHP will do 27,000. I got 34,000 out of my Goodyears. Any idea on the Nitto's?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I ended up with Destination ST firestones.. Popped one away from home and hated what came on it used. Were near new BFG's that Blew F-ing Goats. The destination ST's are not pretty good. If I had time and luxury to choose.. Probably Nitto NT420S

·
Registered
609 Posts
From my experience with Nittos, they last pretty long. They're very well made. Hope you are able to find some.

+1.

I ended up with Destination ST firestones.. Popped one away from home and hated what came on it used. Were near new BFG's that Blew F-ing Goats. The destination ST's are not pretty good. If I had time and luxury to choose.. Probably Nitto NT420S
They look a lot like the Nittos. Firestones are terrible.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I had the UHPs last time & was happy with them overall, 285/35/22. I got about 35,000mi out of them (on a V10 TDI, no less), but I have to say that they didn't wear very well; They got noisy after about 10-15K & suffered from a fairly strong bias pull. Tire performance was impressive throughout the life of the tires.

I recently put the Nitto NT 555 extreme on there & performance is EXTREMELY impressive in both wet & dry. The side wall is stiffer & thus the ride is noticeably harsher, so next time, I think I'll go with the 420Ss, as suggested earlier.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Michelins are crap

Lol
:D

I'm chuffed to bits with my 235/65/17 Michelin Latitude Cross.

Done 4K+: no measurable wear yet, and the braking in wet, dry and mud is EXCELLENT, plus they are VERY quiet.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I have Latitudes on my hybrid, almost 10K miles of spirited driving later with no visible signs of wear. They are overall a good tires, not too sporty, not too soft, good in rain, ok in the snow and I can do 75 in 40MPH turn without loosing traction :) They will probably last me for at least 25-30k miles. Remember, you get what you paid for ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts