Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local mechanic in Nashville says that there is a shortage of Struts for my Treg around the world!! What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is Going on HERE?!! Anyone know of any suppliers who normally carry any recommended mfg for replacement of quality struts? Thanks

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,385 Posts
Some, including myself have installed Bilstein B4's. Good replacement that I'm happy with as the ride is much better than my old ones that had ~95k miles on them. I bought mine from a seller on Ebay. From what I see they are still available. Maybe check out that avenue if your interested.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some, including myself have installed Bilstein B4's. Good replacement that I'm happy with as the ride is much better than my old ones that had ~95k miles on them. I bought mine from a seller on Ebay. From what I see they are still available. Maybe check out that avenue if your interested.
So just to be clear the Bilsteins dont come with springs and youi just reused your original springs correct? I have located the B4s to the tune of about $800 for front and rear. Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
09 TDi
670 Posts
Springs swap over but you may want to renew the upper mount and depending on what comes with the Bilstein consider bump stops and bellows (although bellows are not mandatory)

Take a good look at your sway bar links as they tend to get tired when the dampers do. they are about $100 for all 4...WYAIT

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,385 Posts
So just to be clear the Bilsteins dont come with springs and youi just reused your original springs correct? I have located the B4s to the tune of about $800 for front and rear. Does that sound about right?
All the old springs/mounts/hardware from the originals were used when mine were swapped out. All the old stuff looked good. It would be your choice as to what other components you want to swap out while your having the struts/shocks done. I think I paid like $650 for the full front/rear units at the time.

Reactions: Bluesky

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I would head up ecstuning.com and run either upgraded Bilstein B4 or another form of Bilstein. They will be sporty yet it's compliant. I personally don't put stock suspension pieces back in when they go bad. I think you'll be extremely happy with the Bilstein set up if you want something that's sporty yet comfortable. The stock Springs are probably fine, if you are looking for a more aggressive spring it gets a little more tricky unless you are willing to go with a drop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would head up ecstuning.com and run either upgraded Bilstein B4 or another form of Bilstein. They will be sporty yeah it's compliant. I personally don't put stock suspension pieces back in when they go bad. I think you'll be extremely happy with the Bilstein set up if you want something that's sporty yet comfortable. The stock Springs are probably fine, if you are looking for a more aggressive spring it gets a little more tricky unless you are willing to go with a drop.
My goal is to replace with whatever will give us the most comfortable smooth ride.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Well it's a Touareg not an Escalade so you are never going to have a plush ride. I mean it's definitely comfortable, but it isn't plush. OEM is probably more plush than aftermarket Bilstein, but you are probably going to pay significantly more for it and not reap the handling benefits you would get out of the Bilstein.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Sachs is oe...
It's roughly $1,200 in Parts verse $800 in parts for the Bilstein B4

·
Registered
09 TDi
670 Posts
$1200 from the dealer perhaps but diy and buy elsewhere much less

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Vwparts lists them at $290 for OEM, parts only.

·
Registered
09 TDi
670 Posts
Who buys dampers from a dealer ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
You can get complete front and rear strut with spring assemblies for $360 on ebay.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,385 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Got a link to those??
Here is the listing # 284149431499
I just searched "touareg complete strut"

There are a couple different sellers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts