Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'04 Touareg, V8, Self leveling air suspension, 73k miles.

When I accelerate, I feel a thumping sensation in the right rear of the vehicle. Kind of like if you had a piece of rubber from a tire slapping the fender. Which is not the case. When I back off the gas it goes away slowly. If I am cruising, the car is 'level', I do not feel it at all.

What problem could this be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
361 Posts
VagCom it to see if it throws a code. I'd also find a place with "rollers" (like the ones they use in dyno shops) put somebody else on the wheel and see if you can pinpoint the location of this noise...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Deviant for your reply. I don't have a vag. I believe my mechanic does. I'm dropping my treg off tomorrow night for him to work on Monday. I was hoping someone has had this experience before and it was something I could fix...aka, go for the low hanging fruit!! :)

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
possiible prop shaft bearing and rubber going. Do a search here on how to check the prop shaft and replace or repair the bearing housing.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The driveshaft bearing was the first thing I thought of but normally the thump manifests itself through the centre armrest as the failing bearing is directly underneath it.

However, given the age and mileage on your car I would certainly expect the mechanic to look at the rubber around the bearing very carefully as this is the part that fails rather than the bearing itself.

The bearing and rubber come as one item if he is able to R&R.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
One hell of a lot more than I actually do!

But back to the knock.

There is another point of failure - much rarer - at the rear of the car and that is the anti-roll bar [anti-sway bar].

This can snap and may cause a knock but I have to say you might hear that knocking in all sorts of conditions and not just under acceleration.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nooby nailed the problem. CENTER SUPPORT BEARING is broken. And the CAM PLUGs are leaking. I have no idea what those are.

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
Nooby nailed the problem. CENTER SUPPORT BEARING is broken. And the CAM PLUGs are leaking. I have no idea what those are.
The bearing is usually fine, it's the support rubber around the bearing that goes bad, creating slop and too much tolerances... and drive shaft is the same as the prop shaft in VW parlance.

Do a search on "power steering hose" on how to do a temp fix in the interim.

Cam plugs are the seals at the end of the cylinder heads that allow access to the tool to time the cam when doing timing belt changes. R&R them with new ones to stop the oil leaks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Niner, many thanks on the temp fix and knowledge on the rubber wearing out. However, I gave my mechanic the green light to fix both problems.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
In fairness it was Niner who pointed the way on the bearing first! But I'm glad you're sorted.

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
No worries, just glad you got it sorted out, without your wallet feeling like it got date raped.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts