Club Touareg Forum banner

I can't be this lucky.

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  alnl1996 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I've done quite a bit of research here on looking for that dreaded brake controller connector under the dash.
Great info. Thank you very much.
I ordered the parts needed from my VW dealer to make the pigtail connection.

When I got underneath the dashboard I noticed this purple adapter under there.
When I opened the panel to look at the wiring I noticed some familiar colors...can this be a brake controller connection from the factory?
It's a 2012 TDI Canadian Execline.

Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Car

Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Auto part Car

Automotive exterior Automotive design Bumper Auto part Vehicle

See less See more
#3 ·
what richyrich2 said.

#4 ·
I knew it was too good to be true. Thanks VW. You build an SUV that can embarrass some half ton pickup trucks in the towing dept. but you don't spend a few bucks and put a simple harness under the dash for a brake controller?? This is kind of silly on their part.

#9 ·
Looks like there's good info and pretty specific pictures in this thread.
This thread identified by Richyrich has very good info. I installed a brake controller on my 2012 TDI and I looked and looked for that sponge covered connector....it's there....hidden way up... You might not be able to even see it. More or less feel for it up in the dash if you can get your hand up there. If you have large hands like my Proctologist Dr. Sausage fingers, then you might not even be able to get up in there. VW could have used another few inches of wire and really helped out the end consumer, but that's not really their style.

Good luck

#6 ·
Sorry richyrich2, I know your intentions are good. But that doesn't fly with me.
If that were true they (VW) wouldn't of put their logo on a 300,000LB+ airplane several years ago and photo shop a little dinky pop up tent trailer underneath it on a advertising poster they created.

But thank you for the link. I'll look it up.

#8 ·
I took a look under the dash with a flashlight and tried to feel around for the foam. Nothing, I have a feeling it's closer to the left side. on the fuse panel side.
Tomorrow i'll try to remove/loosen the fuse panel so I can have some more room to play with. I have a feeling it's up there near the firewall.

#11 ·
I would! A connector wrapped in foam would not rattle around at all. All VW had to do is lengthen the wires and just leave it alone. No need to wedge it in the tightest spot they could find.
I just completed my pigtail setup. If it wasn't for the generous tips on here by you guys. I would of given up.

My connector was so hidden and crammed so tight between a thick wire harness and black plastic contraption that no amount of wiggeling with my finger could get it loose.
I had to use a piece of coat hanger and make a small hook. After 45min of trying...I finally got it out of the destroyed grey foam. But it's done now. I just can't believe how unessasary this whole thing is. All were doing is EXTENDING a connection. Hello? VW You couldn't of done this on a $68,000 truck...

Well my rant is over. I'd like to thank all you guys on here for all the info.
You guys are awesome.

#12 ·
reality check - touareg isnt a primary tow vehicle. almost no suvs offer electric brake controller harnesses. consider yourself lucky theres a harness there and you didnt have to wire the whole thing front to back like I had to do on my 07!!

#14 ·
I should add that my neighbor's F150, not sure the year I believe mid 2000's has a tow rating of only 5000Lb and 500lb hitch weight without WD. It's almost double that with the WD.
The Touareg's 7716Lb without WD is pretty darn good for an SUV IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.