Club Touareg Forum banner
41 - 60 of 1099 Posts

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
I did see the video, but just earlier today...its tough not to like the hybrid. My recent hybrid buying push is mostly fueled by my wifes decision to return to work after a number of years off raising our two kids. Her Jetta hasn't seen much use since she bought it just before our kids were born, but its time to replace that vehicle...so I suggested she take the T2 TDI and I'll go buy a 7 seater...after I spent time in a Merc GL and Audi Q7 I decided I really just can't live with something that big and slow...have thought about a Cayenne S but see my previous posts regarding my thoughts on that. A T3 TDI would be nice, but why have 2 vehicles that are so similar. The Hybrid gives me the go-fast rush I need, is socially responsible, is absolutely a hardcore vehicle (umm, its a SUPERCHARGED/hybrid!!!), and its low key enough that I won't get 21 year old girls waving at me (lol). The only drawback is you don't get bragging rights when non-car people ask you what you drive...but personally I think its lame to drive a BMW or Merc when most are in a low end 3er or C class!

· Registered
322 Posts
Where can you get the 3.0 tfsi engine anywhere for that much cash? You can barely get a high mileage 2011 s4 for that money. Now add the electric motor and its torque adding fuel sparing benefits, the 8 speed transmission, and the very nice option list of the hybrid, with stuff I haven't even discovered yet, and its a no brainer.

The engine, the tech, the toys. What more could you want?

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
Where can you get the 3.0 tfsi engine anywhere for that much cash? You can barely get a high mileage 2011 s4 for that money. Now add the electric motor and its torque adding fuel sparing benefits, the 8 speed transmission, and the very nice option list of the hybrid, with stuff I haven't even discovered yet, and its a no brainer.

The engine, the tech, the toys. What more could you want?
You're right...it is a flat out bargain. Lets see how my wheeling and dealing goes, hopefully I can get into one of these in the next month or so

thanks guys!!

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I just came back from a 1 hour freeway drive and my head is still spinning from all the acceleration, I mean WOW!!! Going WOT from 50mph to 100mph is just mind blowing, I think i left my kidneys somewhere in a back seat. I honestly feel like a little kid who wants to do it again and again and again! I think from now on I'll be doing my grocery shopping 50 miles away ;)

· Registered
20,262 Posts
Since it wasn't imported into Canada, will servicing it by well trained technicians be an issue at all?
Due to the high voltages, here in the UK no VW technician is allowed to work on the vehicle who has not received the extended factory training - quite rightly so in my opinion. You need to find out.

· Registered
20,262 Posts
I wonder what the gains would be on this Supercharged Hybrid power plant with a performance flash?
About 40-60 bhp I should think - if you can get into the engine map to do it.

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
Since it wasn't imported into Canada, will servicing it by well trained technicians be an issue at all?
VW techs get access to all parts and info available south of the border. I actually have a call into VW Canada asking about what concessions they make in Canada in regards to warranty validity (ieL why would they not honour a US warranty when they don't sell the product here) and in terms of service centres.

Worst case scenario the Porsche dealer is 10kms from my house and they sell the Cayenne S hybrid with the same powertrain.

All that said, the fact that it impossibly rare here in Canada makes it even more desirable to me!

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
I haven't done much homework on the 3.0T engine, but since its fairly prominent now (available in S4,S5,A6,A7,Q7), I'd imagine there is quite an aftermarket for it.

Sure would be interesting to get it up around 450hp :D

FWIW I just watched the Motorweek review in youtube...motorweek seems to be quite accurate in just about every review I've ever watched of theirs, so its worth a watch:

2011 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid | MotorWeek

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
BTW VW dude, looks like MTM has 430HP being churned out of the 3.0T...so it would seem somewhere near 475-500hp out of a tuned hybrid would not be out of the question.

A luxury uber safe grocery-getter with a sub 5 sec 0-60, and fuel economy in the 20-ish MPG range seems like the worlds most perfect vehicle to me?

Audi S4 B8 Engine Tuning

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
VW dude, here it is...I am definitely on a hybrid hunt now. OCT has a tuning program bringing it up to 452hp

O.CT Tuning - Gasoline

More power than a Cayenne GTS (420hp) and closing in on the Cayenne turbo (500hp)...I bet 500hp is within reach.

Think I'm motivated to have one of the faster Touaregs around again.....and I know what path I'm taking this go around!

· Banned
7,136 Posts
nickm said:
A luxury uber safe grocery-getter with a sub 5 sec 0-60, and fuel economy in the 20-ish MPG range seems like the worlds most perfect vehicle to me?
I couldn't agree more with this, with great emphasis on the uber safe part.

That up and coming performance flash's numbers impresses me because that still leaves the pulley upgrade :).

Those fuel economy figures cannot be ignored either, taking into account the impressive performance and potential to grow.

This vehicle seems to be yet an other great example of Jack of all trades, master of none, but it seems to be pushing the boundaries of that philosophy.

I like it, iif they could only add that dynamic sport air suspension like the Pepper, and I would be first in line to buy yours Nick. I reckon around year #4 of ownership (wink).

41 - 60 of 1099 Posts