Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 1099 Posts

· Registered
20,262 Posts
Yup, the can of gunk and a compressor is all you need according to VW unless you had the foresight to spec the spare wheel in the options list for a hundred dollars or so.

· Registered
60 Posts
Good to see more Hybrid folks in the forums.

I own an '11 and posted some concerns a while back. Thought it might make sense to get some feedback on this thread.

My biggest issue is the occasional rough disengagement of the electric/gas clutch. When it happens, I'm coming to a complete stop and the stop feature clunks to shut down the gas engine. Not so much of an audible clunk, but rather a feeling in the drivetrain.

I also think that the car starts rough. Seems to jar the whole car when starting. Is it possible that the electric motor starting the gas engine is torquey...more than a traditional starter.

Anyone else have symptoms similar to these?

· Registered
5 Posts
Just finished a long road trip mostly freeway and averaged 22mpg. Most speeds were over 75 sustained. Overall I get 21. If I really try I can get 26. Short ranges higher but I haven't been able to break 26 yet. Love the car.

· Registered
322 Posts
Those numbers are pretty reasonable for driving 75. The sweet spot for fuel efficiency is 55 on the hybrid, which is how I logged those high numbers a few posts back. I could manage that because there was bumper to bumper traffic hovering around that speed that stretched for 30 miles, so a combination of drafting and ideal rpms. So some dense traffic situations actually help efficiency. The C&D review for the Cayenne S hybrid hit 27 in manhattan traffic which I suspect was similar crawling up and down river and FDR drive...

In normal traffic this weekend I did 18 in the city and 22 in the burbs, no hypermiling necessary.

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Really no need to take the wheel off if you don't have a spare to put on. My guess is the can of fix a flat is supposed to get you to a garage or tire shop with the proper tools to take the wheel off. Brake jobs on those won't exactly be a DIY type deal given the nature of the brakes helping to recharge the battery. Something else to think about, did the give you the wheel lock tool or does the Hybrids not have wheel locks on them from the factory?
I needed it to install my mud flaps, anyhow I ended up buying one from my local auto store. And yes they do give you a wheel lock tool. Another thing I discovered is that my hydraulic jack does not raise high enough to lift the wheel off the ground. I ended up using 2'x6' under the jack to give it enough height.

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Good to see more Hybrid folks in the forums.

I own an '11 and posted some concerns a while back. Thought it might make sense to get some feedback on this thread.

My biggest issue is the occasional rough disengagement of the electric/gas clutch. When it happens, I'm coming to a complete stop and the stop feature clunks to shut down the gas engine. Not so much of an audible clunk, but rather a feeling in the drivetrain.

I also think that the car starts rough. Seems to jar the whole car when starting. Is it possible that the electric motor starting the gas engine is torquey...more than a traditional starter.

Anyone else have symptoms similar to these?
No such symptoms on mine. One thing I noticed is on overnight/cold starts I hear a rattling noise for about 1-2 secs coming from the engine, VW tech tells me it's the timing chain cams filling with oil. Does yours make the same noise? Here is the sound clip:

Never mind the name of the clip, I did so that I could have an S4 community to chime in without asking too many questions.

· Registered
20,262 Posts
I needed it to install my mud flaps, anyhow I ended up buying one from my local auto store. And yes they do give you a wheel lock tool. Another thing I discovered is that my hydraulic jack does not raise high enough to lift the wheel off the ground. I ended up using 2'x6' under the jack to give it enough height.
Even if you have standard jack, a decent timber pad in the boot / trunk comes in handy if the ground is soft [and it's not quite to far to have to wind the jack up either!]. Mine has a "seat" that the jack foot sits in to locate it.

· Registered
60 Posts
No such symptoms on mine. One thing I noticed is on overnight/cold starts I hear a rattling noise for about 1-2 secs coming from the engine, VW tech tells me it's the timing chain cams filling with oil. Does yours make the same noise? Here is the sound clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5tp8Q7MTNU&feature=g-upl

Never mind the name of the clip, I did so that I could have an S4 community to chime in without asking too many questions.
Can't say I hear that at start up, but to be frank, I've never had the hood open at start up. Does it sound similar, although muffled with the hood down?

Overall, this engine does seem to be a bit noisier that I would have expected for gas engine. I'm used to the sound of my V10, but figured a gasser would be much more muted.

My Hybrid is currently at the dealer for the symptoms I mentioned. I'll pop the hood when I get it back to confirm the sound of mine at start-up.

The clunking element of what I occasionally feel when stopping does have me concerned. I plan on driving this one for a while, so weak mechanicals that aren't running smoothly concern me.

Just like the noise you're hearing. Might not be an issue in the beginning, but metal to metal type wear only worsens over time.

· Registered
1,363 Posts
If my engine sounded like that Audi at startup I'd be a little concerned. It almost sounds like something external to the engine, not internal. I had a 1975 Toyota Celica that made a similar noise, only at a fast idle. Turned out it was a butterfly valve on the air intake resonating against the air filter housing.

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
If my engine sounded like that Audi at startup I'd be a little concerned. It almost sounds like something external to the engine, not internal. I had a 1975 Toyota Celica that made a similar noise, only at a fast idle. Turned out it was a butterfly valve on the air intake resonating against the air filter housing.
I did take it to the dealer,they kept it overnight and said the sound is normal coming from chain tensioner cams filling with oil :confused: I'd like to get more feedback from other hybrid owners.

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So yesterday I decided to test my headlight washers. Couldn't get them to work no matter what I did, so I went back and look in my manual (page 142) thinking I may be doing something wrong, tried it again, nothing. This morning I decided to a dealer and according to my vin I don't have them??? The cutouts are there just not the system. I know that in some lower packages didn't have them but I was under impression that Hybrids and Exec's had them? Does anyone have them on a T3 in US?

· Registered
3,789 Posts
No headlight washers for US T3 models.

· Registered
20,262 Posts
That's a bummer. The ruddy car is expensive enough, it should have them.

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
There's a great deal on a hybrid in western NY..thinking of buying...hmm.

· Registered
322 Posts
There are some amazing deals on the hybrid out there--
Have you driven one yet? You owe it yourself to drive one, just make sure you spend a good amount of time behind the wheel and drive it in a spirited way in sport mode with the engine warmed to 195 degrees, and with at least 40 psi in all four tires. Then chill out and drive it in regular mode, and electric (e-) mode. This car has a few different personalities and you should convince yourself that you at least like the regular and sport modes before you buy...

After driving everything else put there in the price range I decided its the most fun you can have in a real SUV without spending more than 70k or getting a V8 cayenne S, and without the gas penalty.

With a big discount as old 2012 stock or even bigger discount as a certified former VW exec lease with low miles and less than 2 years, its a no brainer. You can't get a better car in that class without spending $20k more.

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
I haven't driven one yet....it isn't imported to Canada and any travels to the US that I have are into downtown cores where there is no nearby VW dealer.

I like the power and performance of the Cayenne S but I don't want a gas guzzler, had one in my Treg V8 and not at all interested in reliving that. Also don't feel like dumping $80K into something that will be worth $30K in 30 months...I'm too cheap to do that!

I'm seeing some Hybrids in the low $40s with < 25K miles, so the temptation is getting too tough to resist....you guys seeing any deals on dealer lots?

Any description of e mode that you guys can provide would help me greatly!

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
As far as e-mode, don't kid yourself you're not buying this car for an e-mode, you're buying for its 380hp/428tq with a gas consumption of a Camry.
Sigh...you know me too well :)

TY for the link!

21 - 40 of 1099 Posts