Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's about time that we Hybrid owners had our own dedicated thread :) It seems that there are only a handful of us here but hopefully our numbers will grow with time. It would be great if we can post our problems and experience (hopefully good ones) in one thread instead of many different threads scattered all over the place. Please feel free to log anything hybrid related.

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured, lol. Mine is sitting in service getting a new glove box cover (original had a crack in it from day one). I also asked them to advise me on the metallic noise I am hearing while accelerating and while they're at it to check the alignment. So far the noise is deemed to be normal, glove box cover is almost done. I am stuck with a 2011 T-reg V6 with nav. I must say regular V6 is not bad at all, not as good as Hybrid of course ;)

Btw: thanks for the photo, however I am still wondering how exactly is the emblem attached to the grille?

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hit 30 mpg a few points on the way home. Traveled 28 miles with 3-4 miles of local traffic and hitting every red light.

Despite all that, easily made 29.6 mpg from start to finish.

Starting to figure out how to "hypermile" with the T3H. Could get over 30 mpg if I stay at 55-60 mph and draft, time to avoid lights, etc.
Impressive, so far I've been getting 16mpg driving like I always do. I want to break her in properly then will see what she can really do ;)

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I am doing a "hard" break in to prevent any oil consumptions in the future.

On a side note got my badges and mud flaps, still waiting for the measurements from you on the badges ;) Also got a whispbar adapter so I can fit my Whispbar cross bars (love them) on my Touareg. Looking into upgrading a mediocre stereo system as well.

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Question to hybrid owners about an engine start up noise. I am suspecting that timing chain tensioner may be defective? Whenever I start it cold it makes this rattling noise for the first second. Not sure if the 3.0 SC engine's tensioner is hydrolic or not but I've read about similar problems with Tiguan's 2.0T too. Anyway here is the video, you can hear it between 7-8 sec., never mind an Audi title and picture, did this to get some answers from Audi forums as well:

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, decided to install my mud flaps and guess what, no tire iron or a jack!?!?! I understand that we hybrid owners do not have a spare but what if I need to take the wheel off? To make things even more fun my hydraulic jack went all the way up and the wheel was still touching the ground. I ran to an auto store and got myself a tire iron, will try to revisit mud flaps tomorrow :/

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Really no need to take the wheel off if you don't have a spare to put on. My guess is the can of fix a flat is supposed to get you to a garage or tire shop with the proper tools to take the wheel off. Brake jobs on those won't exactly be a DIY type deal given the nature of the brakes helping to recharge the battery. Something else to think about, did the give you the wheel lock tool or does the Hybrids not have wheel locks on them from the factory?
I needed it to install my mud flaps, anyhow I ended up buying one from my local auto store. And yes they do give you a wheel lock tool. Another thing I discovered is that my hydraulic jack does not raise high enough to lift the wheel off the ground. I ended up using 2'x6' under the jack to give it enough height.

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Good to see more Hybrid folks in the forums.

I own an '11 and posted some concerns a while back. Thought it might make sense to get some feedback on this thread.

My biggest issue is the occasional rough disengagement of the electric/gas clutch. When it happens, I'm coming to a complete stop and the stop feature clunks to shut down the gas engine. Not so much of an audible clunk, but rather a feeling in the drivetrain.

I also think that the car starts rough. Seems to jar the whole car when starting. Is it possible that the electric motor starting the gas engine is torquey...more than a traditional starter.

Anyone else have symptoms similar to these?
No such symptoms on mine. One thing I noticed is on overnight/cold starts I hear a rattling noise for about 1-2 secs coming from the engine, VW tech tells me it's the timing chain cams filling with oil. Does yours make the same noise? Here is the sound clip:

Never mind the name of the clip, I did so that I could have an S4 community to chime in without asking too many questions.

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
If my engine sounded like that Audi at startup I'd be a little concerned. It almost sounds like something external to the engine, not internal. I had a 1975 Toyota Celica that made a similar noise, only at a fast idle. Turned out it was a butterfly valve on the air intake resonating against the air filter housing.
I did take it to the dealer,they kept it overnight and said the sound is normal coming from chain tensioner cams filling with oil :confused: I'd like to get more feedback from other hybrid owners.

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So yesterday I decided to test my headlight washers. Couldn't get them to work no matter what I did, so I went back and look in my manual (page 142) thinking I may be doing something wrong, tried it again, nothing. This morning I decided to a dealer and according to my vin I don't have them??? The cutouts are there just not the system. I know that in some lower packages didn't have them but I was under impression that Hybrids and Exec's had them? Does anyone have them on a T3 in US?

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I just came back from a 1 hour freeway drive and my head is still spinning from all the acceleration, I mean WOW!!! Going WOT from 50mph to 100mph is just mind blowing, I think i left my kidneys somewhere in a back seat. I honestly feel like a little kid who wants to do it again and again and again! I think from now on I'll be doing my grocery shopping 50 miles away ;)

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Warranty does not transfer so yes it is all out of pocket so I'm indifferent to VW being able to service, I just need someone who can service.

I'll spin by the Porsche dealer tomorrow and have a talk with their service manager...they MUST be able to service it.
Why not? I see a guy from Mexico servicing his Q7 at a US Audi dealership all under warranty. I even asked my SA. I think you should have a conversation with a service manager at your dealership

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Back in 2008 when VWoA split into VWoA and VWC they also split warranty coverage...this was mainly an effort by VWC to curb the import of vehicles from the US. At the time (and a bit to this day) there was around a $20K difference in price between a brand new US model Touareg and and identical Canadian model Touareg. With the CAD$ being stronger by 10% than the US $ at the time, this difference was even greater...nobody was shopping at their dealerships in Canada and instead were just buying from showrooms south of the border.

The BS portion of this is as follows...while an American registered/ US model VW can get warranty coverage in Canada, and a Canadian model/canadian registered vehicle can get warranty coverage in the US - a US model/canadian registered vehicle cannot get coverage in Canada!!!
Solution, buy a hybrid and keep it registered in US, that is if you have relatives or close friends who's address you can use.

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
NickM, what is the rear seat width and shoulder room like in the X1 compared to the Tiggy? I have never sat in the X1 before, but do know the Tiguan quite well. I personally find the rear seat way too narrow in the Tiguan for a guy like me with three kids, hence why 20 years later, actually bought, dare I say it, American. Chevy Nox to be precise, for the wife, with its reclining rear seats, and generous fore and aft movement. At 6 foot 4, even I can stretch my legs in the back, with two child booster seats in the rear as well. Forget that in the Tiggy. I personally think the Tiguan was designed as an excellent urban family car for the narrow streets of Europe.

One thing I REALLY love about the Tiguan, is its structural rigidity. Its roof set the standard a couple years ago.
Tiguan also has rear reclining seats and fore and aft movement with a very generous rear space. I'd never buy it to haul 3 kids in the back seat but for a family of four its a a very good mini SUV.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts