Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
If you don't hypermile and just drive like you aren't trying to accomplish anything special mileage-wise, what kind of mileage are you seeing?

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
Over three months driving 50% through gridlock traffic downtown was just over 19 mpg without special effort. For one week I drove alot in sport mode and very aggressively to see how badly I could do in the city-- I got 16.5 mpg and I was literally dumping gas racing from stoplight to stoplight trying to outmaneuver traffic-- a few times using launch mode. Our BMW 3 series got 15.2 mpg with the same style of driving and a dodge journey V6 loaner got 9-11 mpg (and didn't race very well and was literally no fun I might add).

The hybrid is a Jekyll and Hyde. You'll be able to take on any performance SUV this side of the cayenne turbo or X6 M using launch mode, but if you are hypermiling people are going to be a bit impatient with you because you are going just below the speed limit, are not wasting gas flying out of stoplights, or are following a bit on the close side.
Exactly what I was looking for thank you!...I like the Hybrid as I think it'll outrun a Cayenne S but it'll do it with some sort of social responsibility (ie: the supercharged V6 w/ electric assist is 1,000,000x more sophisticated than the Cayenne's V8).

Just wouldn't want to throw away the amazing economy I get with a TDI...yes I do want to have my cake and eat it too!!

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
There's a great deal on a hybrid in western NY..thinking of buying...hmm.

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
I haven't driven one yet....it isn't imported to Canada and any travels to the US that I have are into downtown cores where there is no nearby VW dealer.

I like the power and performance of the Cayenne S but I don't want a gas guzzler, had one in my Treg V8 and not at all interested in reliving that. Also don't feel like dumping $80K into something that will be worth $30K in 30 months...I'm too cheap to do that!

I'm seeing some Hybrids in the low $40s with < 25K miles, so the temptation is getting too tough to resist....you guys seeing any deals on dealer lots?

Any description of e mode that you guys can provide would help me greatly!

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
As far as e-mode, don't kid yourself you're not buying this car for an e-mode, you're buying for its 380hp/428tq with a gas consumption of a Camry.
Sigh...you know me too well :)

TY for the link!

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
I did see the video, but just earlier today...its tough not to like the hybrid. My recent hybrid buying push is mostly fueled by my wifes decision to return to work after a number of years off raising our two kids. Her Jetta hasn't seen much use since she bought it just before our kids were born, but its time to replace that vehicle...so I suggested she take the T2 TDI and I'll go buy a 7 seater...after I spent time in a Merc GL and Audi Q7 I decided I really just can't live with something that big and slow...have thought about a Cayenne S but see my previous posts regarding my thoughts on that. A T3 TDI would be nice, but why have 2 vehicles that are so similar. The Hybrid gives me the go-fast rush I need, is socially responsible, is absolutely a hardcore vehicle (umm, its a SUPERCHARGED/hybrid!!!), and its low key enough that I won't get 21 year old girls waving at me (lol). The only drawback is you don't get bragging rights when non-car people ask you what you drive...but personally I think its lame to drive a BMW or Merc when most are in a low end 3er or C class!

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
Where can you get the 3.0 tfsi engine anywhere for that much cash? You can barely get a high mileage 2011 s4 for that money. Now add the electric motor and its torque adding fuel sparing benefits, the 8 speed transmission, and the very nice option list of the hybrid, with stuff I haven't even discovered yet, and its a no brainer.

The engine, the tech, the toys. What more could you want?
You're right...it is a flat out bargain. Lets see how my wheeling and dealing goes, hopefully I can get into one of these in the next month or so

thanks guys!!

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
Since it wasn't imported into Canada, will servicing it by well trained technicians be an issue at all?
VW techs get access to all parts and info available south of the border. I actually have a call into VW Canada asking about what concessions they make in Canada in regards to warranty validity (ieL why would they not honour a US warranty when they don't sell the product here) and in terms of service centres.

Worst case scenario the Porsche dealer is 10kms from my house and they sell the Cayenne S hybrid with the same powertrain.

All that said, the fact that it impossibly rare here in Canada makes it even more desirable to me!

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
I haven't done much homework on the 3.0T engine, but since its fairly prominent now (available in S4,S5,A6,A7,Q7), I'd imagine there is quite an aftermarket for it.

Sure would be interesting to get it up around 450hp :D

FWIW I just watched the Motorweek review in youtube...motorweek seems to be quite accurate in just about every review I've ever watched of theirs, so its worth a watch:

2011 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid | MotorWeek

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
BTW VW dude, looks like MTM has 430HP being churned out of the 3.0T...so it would seem somewhere near 475-500hp out of a tuned hybrid would not be out of the question.

A luxury uber safe grocery-getter with a sub 5 sec 0-60, and fuel economy in the 20-ish MPG range seems like the worlds most perfect vehicle to me?

Audi S4 B8 Engine Tuning

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
VW dude, here it is...I am definitely on a hybrid hunt now. OCT has a tuning program bringing it up to 452hp

O.CT Tuning - Gasoline

More power than a Cayenne GTS (420hp) and closing in on the Cayenne turbo (500hp)...I bet 500hp is within reach.

Think I'm motivated to have one of the faster Touaregs around again.....and I know what path I'm taking this go around!

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
LOL, well if I make it 4 years, I seem to get an itch every 18-24 months!!!

Lets see how my wheeling and dealing goes, if I can get in at the right price point, i'll get in...otherwise I'll just wait out the months until depreciation catches up.

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
OK so small dent in plan..located the vehicle and we're coming close to a deal. Seems techs in Canada can't get access to the tech line as none of them up here have gotten any hybrid training...****e...will call the Porsche dealer tomorrow to see if they'd want to do work on the Treg. We'll see what they say.

I'm might be "stuck" with a T3 TDI if this is the case......

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
Warranty does not transfer so yes it is all out of pocket so I'm indifferent to VW being able to service, I just need someone who can service.

I'll spin by the Porsche dealer tomorrow and have a talk with their service manager...they MUST be able to service it.

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
"Would you like to try a Cayenne this weekend, Sir?"
Correct noob, that was the initial response. They have a very nicely optioned Cayenne hybrid on the showroom floor - for $103K, they diesel they have in stock is not option to my tastes, but its listing at $93K. Neither price is negotiable....I rolled my eyes at both. sigh.

Service Manager says they can service the mechanical portions of the hybrid system if they know what is wrong..but the VW diagnostic system (ie: what you read with a VCDS) is completely different than the Porsche diagnostic system...they do not have tools to read any VW codes. Apparently the hybrid system being all the latest and greatest is full of diagnostic sensors. Service manager suggested it would be a significant challenge for them to diagnose, but no challenge post diagnosis.

Not sounding promising...I don't want to have to flatbed the thing to a hybrid certified VW dealer (closest one for me would be 3 hours each way) for diagnosis.

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
Why not? I see a guy from Mexico servicing his Q7 at a US Audi dealership all under warranty. I even asked my SA. I think you should have a conversation with a service manager at your dealership
Back in 2008 when VWoA split into VWoA and VWC they also split warranty coverage...this was mainly an effort by VWC to curb the import of vehicles from the US. At the time (and a bit to this day) there was around a $20K difference in price between a brand new US model Touareg and and identical Canadian model Touareg. With the CAD$ being stronger by 10% than the US $ at the time, this difference was even greater...nobody was shopping at their dealerships in Canada and instead were just buying from showrooms south of the border.

The BS portion of this is as follows...while an American registered/ US model VW can get warranty coverage in Canada, and a Canadian model/canadian registered vehicle can get warranty coverage in the US - a US model/canadian registered vehicle cannot get coverage in Canada!!!

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
Solution, buy a hybrid and keep it registered in US, that is if you have relatives or close friends who's address you can use.
we're sharing the same thoughts.I have a cottage in NY...will have to look into having an out of country drivers licence and see if I can register/insure in NY w/ NY plates on the vehicle

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
Or just one of you (in case you are married) does that. Also, I would recommend Michigan over NY or any other state for that matter. No stupid yearly inspections and no county taxes and decal non-sense to deal with. Enforcement in MI is also very lax. Now....if only you could buy a cottage in MI!
There are some property deals in norther MI for sure, but...too far away from here :).

The service thing is a hang up. not looking doable, I certainly am not paying $100K for a cayenne...think I will just get another TDI (not a bad thing).

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
The good part about living in the political center of a country is you get all kinds of ambassador vehicles and weird plates driving around. A few people that work out of the US embassy here in Ottawa live in my neighbourhood and they are all running DC plates, so it shouldn't be too tough to drive around with NY plates without raising too much suspicion LOL.

The no diagnosis ability seems to be a show stopper...but if nothing else it proves what a flat out bargain the hybrid is. Take a look a the price of a Cayenne or Panamera hybrid (same drivetrain) then take a look at a Touareg hybrid price...its SHOCKING what a deal the touareg is!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts