Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 882 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's about time that we Hybrid owners had our own dedicated thread :) It seems that there are only a handful of us here but hopefully our numbers will grow with time. It would be great if we can post our problems and experience (hopefully good ones) in one thread instead of many different threads scattered all over the place. Please feel free to log anything hybrid related.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sorry, I think all the hybrid drivers were out enjoying their cars today... :)

Figuring there are only ~330 of us on the road in the US currently and a few more waiting to be purchased, it's quite against the odds for there to be a lot of us here. I only know of a handful of us who have posted ever...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured, lol. Mine is sitting in service getting a new glove box cover (original had a crack in it from day one). I also asked them to advise me on the metallic noise I am hearing while accelerating and while they're at it to check the alignment. So far the noise is deemed to be normal, glove box cover is almost done. I am stuck with a 2011 T-reg V6 with nav. I must say regular V6 is not bad at all, not as good as Hybrid of course ;)

Btw: thanks for the photo, however I am still wondering how exactly is the emblem attached to the grille?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hit 30 mpg a few points on the way home. Traveled 28 miles with 3-4 miles of local traffic and hitting every red light.

Despite all that, easily made 29.6 mpg from start to finish.

Starting to figure out how to "hypermile" with the T3H. Could get over 30 mpg if I stay at 55-60 mph and draft, time to avoid lights, etc.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
If you don't hypermile and just drive like you aren't trying to accomplish anything special mileage-wise, what kind of mileage are you seeing?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Over three months driving 50% through gridlock traffic downtown was just over 19 mpg without special effort. For one week I drove alot in sport mode and very aggressively to see how badly I could do in the city-- I got 16.5 mpg and I was literally dumping gas racing from stoplight to stoplight trying to outmaneuver traffic-- a few times using launch mode. Our BMW 3 series got 15.2 mpg with the same style of driving and a dodge journey V6 loaner got 9-11 mpg (and didn't race very well and was literally no fun I might add).

The hybrid is a Jekyll and Hyde. You'll be able to take on any performance SUV this side of the cayenne turbo or X6 M using launch mode, but if you are hypermiling people are going to be a bit impatient with you because you are going just below the speed limit, are not wasting gas flying out of stoplights, or are following a bit on the close side.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Over three months driving 50% through gridlock traffic downtown was just over 19 mpg without special effort. For one week I drove alot in sport mode and very aggressively to see how badly I could do in the city-- I got 16.5 mpg and I was literally dumping gas racing from stoplight to stoplight trying to outmaneuver traffic-- a few times using launch mode. Our BMW 3 series got 15.2 mpg with the same style of driving and a dodge journey V6 loaner got 9-11 mpg (and didn't race very well and was literally no fun I might add).

The hybrid is a Jekyll and Hyde. You'll be able to take on any performance SUV this side of the cayenne turbo or X6 M using launch mode, but if you are hypermiling people are going to be a bit impatient with you because you are going just below the speed limit, are not wasting gas flying out of stoplights, or are following a bit on the close side.
Exactly what I was looking for thank you!...I like the Hybrid as I think it'll outrun a Cayenne S but it'll do it with some sort of social responsibility (ie: the supercharged V6 w/ electric assist is 1,000,000x more sophisticated than the Cayenne's V8).

Just wouldn't want to throw away the amazing economy I get with a TDI...yes I do want to have my cake and eat it too!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
No problem-- the published and third party review fuel economy numbers for the T3H and cayenne s hybrid are not way off. Everyone deals with a different set of traffic conditions and uses different driving styles, so its hard to know how things will work in practice. I wanted to give a realistic picture of the extremes, which if you average out will put you somewhere around or just below the EPA prediction.

If you have lots of freeway miles you'll do very well with the T3H. This is because the 8 speed is nicely geared for highway speeds and the sailing feature saves a ton of gas. It will use a little hybrid power for passing and manage to store away enough electrons to get you a nearly free ride around the city once you're off the freeway.

If you're driving around the city, the parallel hybrid will not be as efficient as a Prius in saving and storing every bit of kinetic energy due to the relatively small motor and battery, but it does probably 20-30% better than gas alone.

In the end it is an impressive bit of engineering. The fact that the same drivetrain is in the cayenne s hybrid and panamera s hybrid says plenty about its ability to perform.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hit 30 mpg a few points on the way home. Traveled 28 miles with 3-4 miles of local traffic and hitting every red light.

Despite all that, easily made 29.6 mpg from start to finish.

Starting to figure out how to "hypermile" with the T3H. Could get over 30 mpg if I stay at 55-60 mph and draft, time to avoid lights, etc.
Impressive, so far I've been getting 16mpg driving like I always do. I want to break her in properly then will see what she can really do ;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Definitely vary your throttle during break in. Have been very happy with stability of oil levels with our engine and have not needed top offs inbeteeen oil changes thus far.

I do feel efficiency has improved with time.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I am doing a "hard" break in to prevent any oil consumptions in the future.

On a side note got my badges and mud flaps, still waiting for the measurements from you on the badges ;) Also got a whispbar adapter so I can fit my Whispbar cross bars (love them) on my Touareg. Looking into upgrading a mediocre stereo system as well.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I discovered something today

I'm getting better mileage in the city using sport mode.

The default drive shifting program tends to do tall starts in second gear, and skips gears to save on fuel. If you have the roads to yourself this is the most efficient program, short of going into e-mode, which is yet more efficient but even slower.

But if you want to keep up with stop and go traffic this ends up being wasteful because you need to dump a lot of gas to keep up with the flow of traffic.

I found that using a very light foot in sport mode is the best compromise of efficiency and performance. I got just under 18 mpg in stop and go traffic and stayed out in front. I can do better in city traffic (approaching 20 mpg) with the regular shifting program but I can't keep up as well given the tall starts.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I like conspicuous consumption as much as the next guy. Just surprised that it worked out to be more efficient...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Question to hybrid owners about an engine start up noise. I am suspecting that timing chain tensioner may be defective? Whenever I start it cold it makes this rattling noise for the first second. Not sure if the 3.0 SC engine's tensioner is hydrolic or not but I've read about similar problems with Tiguan's 2.0T too. Anyway here is the video, you can hear it between 7-8 sec., never mind an Audi title and picture, did this to get some answers from Audi forums as well:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, decided to install my mud flaps and guess what, no tire iron or a jack!?!?! I understand that we hybrid owners do not have a spare but what if I need to take the wheel off? To make things even more fun my hydraulic jack went all the way up and the wheel was still touching the ground. I ran to an auto store and got myself a tire iron, will try to revisit mud flaps tomorrow :/

·
Registered
374 Posts
T-Reguan said:
Well, decided to install my mud flaps and guess what, no tire iron or a jack!?!?! I understand that we hybrid owners do not have a spare but what if I need to take the wheel off? To make things even more fun my hydraulic jack went all the way up and the wheel was still touching the ground. I ran to an auto store and got myself a tire iron, will try to revisit mud flaps tomorrow :/
If you have air suspention make sure its in lock before lifting

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
Really no need to take the wheel off if you don't have a spare to put on. My guess is the can of fix a flat is supposed to get you to a garage or tire shop with the proper tools to take the wheel off. Brake jobs on those won't exactly be a DIY type deal given the nature of the brakes helping to recharge the battery. Something else to think about, did the give you the wheel lock tool or does the Hybrids not have wheel locks on them from the factory?

1 - 20 of 882 Posts