Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not very active here but I need some brain trust help.

I was driving to school and about 5 miles from my house my treg gave me a red warning saying alternator not charging then changed to Fault: Hybrid System pull over and I did and shut it off then on but it would not turn over. The hybrid battery was fully charged at this point but the normal one was pretty much dead. So dead that after waiting a while for AAA, the flashers wouldn’t work.

Now... my issue is I can not find the damn alternator to even diagnose. I followed all the belts but none go to what looks like one. Spent a half hour on 7zap going through all the part numbers listed as possible alternators and I have an idea of what even a special one might look like but I’m completely lost.
At first I thought it might not even have one due to hybrid stuff but it seems like it does, they seem like very separate systems.

Any idea where to look? I’m sure I’m going to feel like an idiot once found.

2011 Hybrid Treg

thanks so much

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh yikes. But thank you so much. That helps ease the feeling insane part of this whole thing. Unfortunately looks like a very expensive fix

·
Registered
283 Posts
As I’m sure you’ve guessed by now, there is no alternator on the hybrid. It uses the electric motor as both an alternator and also uses it as a starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hmmm... I'd think you still have a conventional alternator. The Hybrid Touareg uses the Audi 3.0L Supercharged engine. As far as I know the Q5 Hybrid uses the same engine and drive line. Might be worth searching for charging issues on google.

there are some more pictures there....

·
Registered
384 Posts
Just be careful.

The technicians used to have to go through a special 2 day training course before they were allowed to touch the Hybrid''s electrics due to the higher voltages involved.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hmmm... I'd think you still have a conventional alternator. The Hybrid Touareg uses the Audi 3.0L Supercharged engine. As far as I know the Q5 Hybrid uses the same engine and drive line. Might be worth searching for charging issues on google.

there are some more pictures there....
Same engine different technology. The hybrid system does not have a traditional alternator or starter. Check out how it works here https://procarmanuals.com/self-study-program-450-touareg-hybrid-design-function-2/

·
Registered
4 Posts

I find it strange that his car gave him a warning about the alternator not charging? Maybe its some kind of default programming from the non-hybrid cars?

·
Registered
855 Posts
German engineering isn't known for it's electrical dexterity. Unfortunately you have a unicorn in the hybrid,not very many were produced. Most of my issues with my 4 VWs are electrical. I wish I could steer you in the right direction. Dealer maybe your best bet.

·
Registered
283 Posts
German engineering isn't known for it's electrical dexterity. Unfortunately you have a unicorn in the hybrid,not very many were produced. Most of my issues with my 4 VWs are electrical. I wish I could steer you in the right direction. Dealer maybe your best bet.
Yep: dealer. And because it won’t turn over and also seems not to be charging points to the power electronics box since it controls both functions. With the hybrid faults that I had, they plug the car into the vw network and got help from tech support. I even had one of the techs write on the service report that he had to wait for 45 minutes on the phone before the tech was able to help. Lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts