Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume no responsibility if you screw up your Touareg whilst attempting this procedure.

You'll need very few tools for this job, as nearly all of the fasteners are T20 Torx screws of the same length. You'll want to get your hands on a bit wrench for the motor removal though:

Make sure you have access to VAG-COM too as you'll need to set the motors in "Service Position" before starting and then re-learn them all when you're done.
VW Touareg (7L) Heating/Air Conditioning - Ross-Tech Wiki

I used the following instructions for this procedure & I read it several times to familiarize myself with it.
http://vwts.ru/body/touareg/tou_70-01.pdf

There are a few things I didn't do which I wish I had. Firstly, remove the a-pillar trim on both sides, then remove the steering column trim. I scratched the hell out of mine maneuvering the dash panel in & out. Removing the steering wheel isn't necessary.
I'll post the pics in the order I took them
First, remove the radio. If you can't do this, stop now & pay someone to do the rest of the job.

Next, remove all of the switches. The plugs are indexed, so no need to label them

Next, remove the HVAC control unit (you put everything in service position, right?)

Next, remove all of the belt-line trim. The one above the glovebox has a fastener just inside the radio housing (shown here)

Pics of all the necessary trim coming off (it all pulls off)

Under-dash panels

Disconnect the OBD port & lights

Next, the driver's side knee panel

Then the remainder (make sure to reference the above PDF for screw locations)

Pics of wiring pass-through locations

I have an iPod adapter (shown in this pic)

Pics of the HVAC system, post knee bar removal

Cluster & hood removed

Center vents removed (it just pulls out, mind the clips)

I didn't take pics of the screw locations for the remainder of the dash panel, but there aren't many.
Once they're removed, the dash comes off with a tug, then lifts out. If you followed the instructions posted, the passenger airbag is still attached, so it's a bit heavy on that end (you did remember to disconnect your battery, yes?)
Pics of the dash removed

Pics of the motor I was replacing (I'll include a list of which is which, based on any codes you may have)

Once the motor was replaced, I reconnected the cluster, the HVAC control unit & the battery, allowing me to test the new motor & run it's adaptation. Obviously doing it this way will throw a lot of codes, but you'll have access to VAG-COM if you're doing this anyhow.

After all the self tests passed & I had no (HVAC) codes, I reassembled everything in reverse order.

I'll update this post with the motor list once I scan it & upload it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Bravo. You are a brave man!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Motor List

Not all vehicle have all the motors

A (Driver side):
1: Defroster door motor (V107)
2: Left side vent motor (V299)
3: Left vent adjustment motor (V110)
4: Left footwell door motor (V108)
5: Left temperature door motor (V158)

B (Passenger side):
6: Right center vent motor (V111)
7: Right side vent motor (V300)
8: Right temperature door motor (V159) - the one I replaced
9: Right footwell door motor (V109)

The "V" number will be referenced in any fault codes you may have in a VAG-COM scan

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Outstanding!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Impressive.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Hope you don't mind, but I have put a link on the UK site back to this thread.

I really do take my hat off to you for tackling this.

My dealer did two HVAC servos which, at over GB£600 several years ago, must translate into well over US$1,000 today.

For anyone else tackling this, each servo has a small white plastic cog wheel that wears so, whilst you are in this kind of demolition derby, inspect them all very carefully even if they haven't failed, and replace any that look dodgy! I had one failed and one about to.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The white part you're referring to is actually part of the HVAC box, not the motors. I checked the ones I could reach for any play & put some white lithium grease on the parts that slide into one another. You can see the white part on the box in the last couple pics. The arm of the motor interfaces with these parts.
Pic of the motor:

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
We're talking about different HVAC servos here I think. I'll see if I can find the part number/picture later.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Hope you don't mind, but I have put a link on the UK site back to this thread.
We don't mind Nooby. It's refreshing that you link back to us for a change!

Dead Horse

To the OP, what is the grey foam in the upper dash area attached to?

I've been having chunks of grey foam spitting out of my center stack for a year now with no obvious source. What was the condition of yours? Did you see any grey foam anywhere else in the airflow of the center stack?

Excellent write up!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's glued down. Mine was in good shape so I left it alone. I didn't see any foam any where else except for the supply to the rear seat vents. Those were entirely made of foam, but stiffer & thinner. The 16th pic shows what I'm talking about on the left of the image.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Another thank you for this excellent write up.

It is sure to help many Touareg owners in the future.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yes - if only to decide to let the dealer do it!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the write-up this is on my list to fix. Not happy about taking whole dash out :mad: but if thats what takes.
Great post with all the detailed pictures. I was also getting tired of hearing all the clicking that was happening behind my dash so I too disassembled my dash this fall. Top and bottom. Once I tore apart the dash and really started looking at how things go together I noticed one significant thing. It's actually not necessary to take it apart. The flap motors are assembled in a set, on metal brackets. Once the motors are in the park position using the VAG-COM, you loosen two screws on each bracket that face down towards the floor of your vehicle and the whole "set" slides down and out. They are guided into place by two guide pins/screws. You can see these pin/screws on some of Redubbed's pictures. For example, the driver side has one bracket with three motors and one with two motors. With some patience you can actually remove all the flap motors with only the panels under the dash removed. I've tried. After I replaced one motor another started acting up and I didn't want to pull everything apart again so I pulled the driver side under-dash panel out, removed the two bracket screws and slid the bracket out. Removed the motor from the plate. Replaced it. Slid it back into place.

All that being said it is of course easier to see what you are doing if everything is out but it does look like the VW guys did engineer things in such a way that you actually don't need to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great post with all the detailed pictures. I was also getting tired of hearing all the clicking that was happening behind my dash so I too disassembled my dash this fall. Top and bottom. Once I tore apart the dash and really started looking at how things go together I noticed one significant thing. It's actually not necessary to take it apart. The flap motors are assembled in a set, on metal brackets. Once the motors are in the park position using the VAG-COM, you loosen two screws on each bracket that face down towards the floor of your vehicle and the whole "set" slides down and out. They are guided into place by two guide pins/screws. You can see these pin/screws on some of Redubbed's pictures. For example, the driver side has one bracket with three motors and one with two motors. With some patience you can actually remove all the flap motors with only the panels under the dash removed. I've tried. After I replaced one motor another started acting up and I didn't want to pull everything apart again so I pulled the driver side under-dash panel out, removed the two bracket screws and slid the bracket out. Removed the motor from the plate. Replaced it. Slid it back into place.

All that being said it is of course easier to see what you are doing if everything is out but it does look like the VW guys did engineer things in such a way that you actually don't need to.

Very interesting. I'll have to have a look at this as I was thinking of doing a motor this year.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 93 Posts