Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on driving up to Hungry Valley this coming Saturday or Sunday. My weekend is open so i haven't decided on a specific date.
If anyone is interested, join in.
I'm an absolute newbie in off-roading, that's why i want to try the pre-set environment :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Have a great time up there!

Since you are in the SoCal area, you might want to check the oausa.net group for local meets. Generally a very vehicle-friendly group; there is almost always a gathering. My next run with them maybe the Mojave Road overnight expedition in early January (wagon trail between I-15 and I-40 from Laughlin area to Barstow).

Playing in an OHV park is a good way to get your feet wet and try some of the settings in a playground. Let us know how it turns out. Ask questions when you get back.

- Karl

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Karl!
I've signed up to the oausa.net group already and will try to join them for Mojave Road expedition.
I do have a quick question. How to avoid that kind of a situation
I don't have air suspension, should i simply avoid that kind of a terrain, or can it be approached from the different angel?

thank you

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Looks like an intentional high-centering...

but a couple things may have helped since it appears they lost traction...

Center lock on.... and I would have turned off ESP on the climb to insure no loss of momentum in that soft stuff; and it did not sound like they were in any form of controlled low gunning it the way they did. These are all guesses on what appears to be an incompetent approach. Good thing that wasnt rock up there... looks like the vehicle ended up on the crossmember.

Other ideas?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But what if you approach it slightly sideways and not directly head on? ESP off - makes complete sense.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
But what if you approach it slightly sideways and not directly head on? ESP off - makes complete sense.
You might see one of you wheels, maybe two (diagonally), go high in the air. Nice thing is the Touareg chassis is so damn stiff thats not a problem - and kinda fun. You'll amaze Jeep guys who love solid axle; and be the envy of FJ guys who have bodies that tend to stress in that situation. The Touareg - rock solid board. Thats something you should try at the OHV playground. Bring a friend and have them stand in the wheel well and rock your 'reg :)

Not sure the pros and cons of going diagonal on something like that.

The ESP thing - yeah, the problem with traction control hunting is that momentum gets lost. I also think it has a tendency to cause the vehicle to slide laterally in a difficult rock situation. I'll turn it off in soft stuff (sand) or on a significant hill climb. Otherwise its good to have on, unless you want to drift in the dirt. And absolutely use it on the pavement.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Without seeing the obstacle in person, it's hard to pick an approach. I will say I like the diagonal approach for obstacles that can cause a high-centered situation.

Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts